Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to ask for some advise on running the Cannels (Middle, North and South) and both the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers. I have been a bass boat owner in the past and had run these rivers and channels for about 10 years, although it's been 3 to 4 years now since I have owned a boat. Listed below are my current concerns and would appreciate any input you may want to offer: (lets assume for arguments sake I'm running a 19 foot Bass Boat or larger)

(01). There is a spot on the Middle Channel that states it is a NO WAKE AREA. I could read the bold print but I couldn't get close enough to read the fine print. Does this mean no wake for everyone or just by boat length? If by boat length how long a boat and how far from shore should I be? If other boats have to abide by the No Wake Rule can smaller boats pass them?

(02). The boat traffic has increased so much since I was running these rivers and the boat size has increased as well. When approaching a boat from the stern and its throwing off a large wake 3 to 4 feet is it better to give this boat a wide birth and ride the wake as far away from the boat as possible where there is more distance between the waves and they have dissipated some what or come up to about 50 yards from the stern and swing out and pass while the wake is at its highest point but closer together?

(03). With the increased number of boats on the rivers and channels is better to ride close to the break line or run the center of the river or channel with the boat traffic? I have always found it safer running as close to the break line as possible on the Canadian side because of the fewer seawalls thus eliminating the back wash of any wakes that are generated.

If you have any other ideas as how to make our rides on the rivers and lake safer, smoother and enjoyable please join in.

As always thanks for your input and on-going support.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Hope this helps...

- Areas of the Middle and the entire Sni is slow no wake for boats over 26ft and all crafts 200 ft from either shore.

- The end of the Sni and North are also no-wake between the bouys.

- South and North are slow no-wake 200ft from from "shore, dock, or pier"

- Consider all of the small cuts and river arms no-wake.

- Note the head of the Sni at the North channel is marked no-wake with bouys, but according the map I got from the sheriff, this is not the case.

Next time you see a sherrif boat patroling the river areas, flag one down and they will be happy to give you a map.

I run the break whenever possible to aviod the chop. But keep in mind the rules above. Meaning you can only technically do this on the Canadian side of the South channel. Just use extreme caution due to hazards, less room to manevuer, and respect others that may be fishing the area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts