Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anybody tried the Navionics charts for the new generation of Lowrance GPS units? I had the Navionics on my old LMS160. I've got a new boat now with a LMS240 and I'm wondering if they are any different in detail, etc. The chart I'm looking at is the real nav style chart (not the hot spots map, I know all those
) that covers St. Clair, Erie, Lower Huron all the way to Saginaw Bay. The chart number is US649XL. It's $200, which seem pricey, until you trash a lower unit or worse.

Anyway, I'm looking for input, Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the XL charts and they are great! Well worth the money. The maps are the NOAA nav. When you want to find a wreck, point your cursor to it and go, it will put on it. The detail is awesome! I would steer clear of the navionic hot spot maps, the detail and quality stink. Call Navionics, they will help you decide. Also look around on the web, I found mine for $135.00 on Ebay.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the same one in a X16CI and it is great. Previously used GlobalMap2000 with the C-map chip. These are much better. Probably just because they are newer.

If you are looking at using on on the LMS240 make sure that the chip you buy says SanDisc (something like that) on the label. The problem is that Navionics starting using two different manufactures of the actual chip and only the original one works on ALL the Lowrance units. Should you buy the 'bad' one, you will have to send it back to Navoinics and they will replace it with one from the original chip manufacture. In time, Lowrance is supposed to have a software update for the LMS240/320/etc units that this is a problem with.

Been through all this, first chip was defective and Lowrance/Navionics were blaming each other. Got that fixed, traded in the defective chip at the store for a good one, well have way. It works in my unit fine, but would not work in the LMS-240 etc. So while I don't really need it for a week, I sent it back to be replaced. Decided that I want a good one all around should I ever sell it. Should have it back this week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, I had the same issue. I use an LMS 320 and got the Fishing Hot Spot Map on MMC. It kept re-booting my unit and locking it up. When it did work, the detail was not what I hoped. I called Navionics and they explained the problem. I was going to order the Xl chart, but I opted for the Small chart (Lake St. Clair only) because of the price difference. According to Navionics, the detail on the XL and Small charts is exactly the same. There is no difference. Just the coverage area and hence the price are different. ($199 vs $129) My suggestion would be to order the card directly from Navionics. They will be sure to ship you the right kind of MMC card, but many local dealers are not yet stocking the correct cards, which means you may run into the bugs you've heard about. I also did some research and found out that there is no electronic map available with greater detail than the Navionics XL or Small cards. Stay away from the HotSpot map...you can't zoom in enough. But the XL/Small charts rock. Lastly, don't even consider Lowrance's MapCreate 6. It has nothing below the surface of the water marked. No depths, no obstructions, etc. I spoke with Lowrance and they recommended Navionics too. Hope this helps you make an informed decision. By the way, there are some dealers (listed on Navionics site) that burn their own cards right on site. I think R&B and Mike's Marine are a couple. You can buy from them, but make sure they are burning the right kind of card or you'll be bummed when it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the detail the same for the Canadian side as it is on the American side of LSC
for the LMS 320. Iv'e only used the IMS Map create so far. It shows nothing for Canadian waters.
Thanks John

·
Registered
666 Posts
The detail covers the entire lake. Some areas you can zoom in further (shipping channels), but the depth contours markers, etc. are all there.

Like you said, the MapCreate CD falls off the earth at international boundries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts