Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Whose got the Navionics or Hot Spots maps on there GPS?

Amazingly enough, I don't. I'm kind of an old diehard in this respect. I like my paper charts and maps. I send hours/days interpolating coordinates off the maps by hand and punching them into my GPS. I have photocopied maps with notes/hand written coordinates all over the place. I also use the Lakemaster software on the computer and print them out as well. But I still hand punch everything in. Should I finally suck it up and get Navionics or Hot Spots for my GPS? Seems like it would save a lot of time. But if I do will I become so reliant on it that I will lose a very important skill, interperting charts/maps? Kinda of like using a calculator. I can't even add or subtract on my own anymore.

Who's got it and what do you think?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Alex,

I have the latest generation Navionics maps for my LMS-240. This is the real nav chart style and not the hotspots map version. The nav chart style has lot's of detail, while the hotspost version has less detail (depth changes) but has the "hotspots". These are the same hotspots on the plastic map, so they are really of no use to anyone beyond a begginer. Unlike the old versoin (LMS-160, etc) This newer version (LMS-240/320, X15, etc.) also includs good detail in Canada. I also had the older version with my last boat, which had an LMS-160 on it. I would highly recommend the nav-style it if you have a late model lowrance unit (LMS-240 or higher). If you've got LMS-160 or older, I might not just becuase of the lack of Canadian detail.

Vic Cerabone

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
It wont replace what you have only enhance it. I did beta testing for Navionics in 99 for the Great Lakes and even then I was able to find stuff that is not shown on any charts. Be forewarned that it is not "all encompassing". Meaning that you will know of stuff that is not shown on the charts, BUT for navigating new water, old water and everything in between it is awesome. It is like having your map with you ON it, real time.

I would say YES go for it.

Come to think of it, I better order mine too!

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I'm cheaper.

·
LSCN Sponsor
142 Posts
I'm using the Nav Chip US649XL in my Icom Gps. I have used it for 1 full season and really like using it. Especially early in the spring when all the navigation bouys are not in yet. I have not found any errors in it yet. All the depths seem to be matched pretty well with my depth sounder. Although the chip is a bit pricey at $200, I would still say its worth it. I still keep the charts handy just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts