Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I need someone to take my computer and back up some files for me and to take it back to the operating system when I first bought it. I have been having problems with it for some time now and now I can't even up load pics. And the last thing that just happen was it gave me a system warning that it was shutting down because of a "Remote Procedure Call, RPC"! I had one minute to save work and to close programs.
<_<

Any help would be appreciated!

·
12,052 Posts
I can give you an extra hard drive, just plug it into your cd cable, boot up the system, back up your files on the extra drive (it will automatically be the next drive letter ie: d: drive)
then wipe your original and later back up. Simple.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Dookie @ Aug 4 2003, 09:34 PM)frustrating aint it?

VERY!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 4 2003, 09:32 PM)I can give you an extra hard drive, just plug it into your cd cable, boot up the system, back up your files on the extra drive (it will automatically be the next drive letter ie: d: drive)
Very good idea!!!

Take him up on it! I learned my lesson the hard way now I just keep all my important stuff on the other drive!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 4 2003, 09:32 PM)I can give you an extra hard drive, just plug it into your cd cable, boot up the system, back up your files on the extra drive (it will automatically be the next drive letter ie: d: drive)
sounds simple enough, what time do you work to tomorrow, or I can pick it up friday during the day.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i honestly had a BIG freak out today: with all the AC running here, i had a small blackout. my computer didn't work for 1 1/2 hrs. i will shut this puppy down when i'm done and come morn i will BACK EVERYTHING UP! including most of your #'s! i was FREAKING! i never want to do that again!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
If anyone ever has computer problems, Capt'n Chris is your man!!! He's the bestest puter fixer around

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
capt rob just kept me calm. didnt' give me one lick of advice but to keep calm and i did. then he said to call capt mike I.

i will tomorrow!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
If you need software that wipes out your entire hard drive so you can start fresh, I have Max Blast.

I did that last winter with my computer, wiped it all out and put in XP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You do have port 135 firewalled I hope?

Port 135 is used for remote procedure calls. There have been a number of attacks based on weaknesses in this port over the years.

I have also seen drivers (soundcard, network card, all-in-one printer/scanners) cause this issue. The RPC server goes into a continuous loop and consumes 100% of your processor resources. When that happens Windows issues a shutdown command.

And you are all up to date with your Microsoft patches, right?

What OS are you running?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 5 2003, 07:04 AM)If you need software that wipes out your entire hard drive so you can start fresh, I have Max Blast.

You can do that by fdisking and reformatting. Nothing out there totally wipes a harddrive. Keep that in mind <_<

·
Registered
481 Posts
do what hammer said about backing up to an extra hard drive.

then..............get a mac.

no blue screens of death, no illegal operation calls, no rpc's, no virus attacks.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Aug 5 2003, 08:01 AM)QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 5 2003, 07:04 AM) If you need software that wipes out your entire hard drive so you can start fresh, I have Max Blast.

You can do that by fdisking and reformatting. Nothing out there totally wipes a harddrive. Keep that in mind

Well, you know what I meant.

This one wipes all the software, files, etc., sets partitions. etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE(littlewing @ Aug 5 2003, 07:58 AM)then..............get a mac.

no blue screens of death, no illegal operation calls, no rpc's, no virus attacks.
No software either...

I gave up developing for Macs in the 80's. There just isn't any money in it, or market share any more.

If you want a really reliable OS, bite the bullet and install Linux. Linux has eclipsed the Mac as the second most popular OS. It does take a bit more to maintain, but not much. Right now, today, that is the tradeoff for bulletproof reliability and security.

Of course Microsoft could always belly up to the bar and fix their OS. Nah, I must be dreaming.

Let me know if you decide to go that route, I'll give you a hand. I have been using/developing/maintaining *nix for decades.

And yeah, it has a cool desktop GUI and apps, that can do almost any of the stuff you are doing now.

You'd have to resign yourself to getting it all for free though.

I am also a big fan of second hard drives for fast archival purposes.

Posted via Linux.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Saleena362 @ Aug 4 2003, 10:34 PM)If anyone ever has computer problems, Capt'n Chris is your man!!! He's the bestest puter fixer around

Um.......excuse me?

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(afiremen @ Aug 4 2003, 08:39 PM)sounds simple enough, what time do you work to tomorrow, or I can pick it up friday during the day.
4:30 today Mike. (Tuesday)

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(Distant_Horizon @ Aug 5 2003, 10:05 AM)QUOTE(littlewing @ Aug 5 2003, 07:58 AM) then..............get a mac.

No software either...

I gave up developing for Macs in the 80's. There just isn't any money in it, or market share any more.

If you want a really reliable OS, bite the bullet and install Linux. Linux has eclipsed the Mac as the second most popular OS. It does take a bit more to maintain, but not much. Right now, today, that is the tradeoff for bulletproof reliability and security.

Posted via Linux.
ummmmm, the new os for the mac is LINUX

no software? i use the mac interchangeably with my windows puter at work. excel, word, plays mp3, mpeg, avi, mov, wmv, has its own version of outlook, explorer, etc.

can you say plug and play? no matter what i hook up, its seamless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually the new kernel on the Mac OS X is a Mach kernel, with some BSD stuff added. It won't scale like Linux, but it wasn't really designed to be a SMP server.

It isn't Linux. It is GNU and *nix compatible. It isn't rpm compatible directly with any of the major distributions, which means that you won't be click-and-installing pre-compiled Linux binaries. I don't have trouble modifying configure scripts or compiling my own software, and you probably don't either, but the average user might. If the user base ever got large enough, that issue might solve itself. As far as I know apps written for the KDE or Gnome window managers won't be compatible, but this might also be a self-solving issue.

I really hope Apple manages to port OS X to the x86 architecture. If they can do that, and get a user base going, they might just have the answer we have all been looking for. I hope they pull it off. It certainly is easier to handle than Linux is, especially for the average user.

I'd love to see OS X in person. I have yet to actually get my hands on a newer machine capable of running the OS.

I guess that the main thing that might keep me from making the OS X switch is the current Linux/KDE apps that I use every day, and am comfortable with. These are pretty uniform across the *nix world. Most of the non-IE or Office stuff type is, in my opinion, vastly superior to any of the Windows stuff comparable with it. Which is why I feel Linux is worth the effort.

Oh, I have IE, Office XP Pro, and DOS all running under Linux, too. This is emulation, of course, and not native, but the speed is fine. And I still have dual-boot capability, if I really need Windows. It is actually kind of neat seeing Windows and Linux and DOS apps all running on the desktop in separate windows, and at the same time. Though I honestly don't have need of the emulation often these days.

And you're right, Linux isn't as plug-and-play as the Mac, but it does amazingly well these days.

I would love to get my hands on Apples big wide-screen LCD monitor. That bad boy is awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts