Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello LSCNers,

Its been a while since i posted here, sorry about that. Perhaps someone can help me with my issue.

I have a 3.7 1988 224 CID I believe (ford block?). Not sure whether its the age, alignment, or a busted motor mount that took the coupler out. Need someone honest and inexpensive to look at it for me and possibly repair if its worth it. We live in Eastpointe.

Coupler itself i believe is a standard ford setup, merc 97432A2 (sierra equivalent is 280 shipped).

If you own a marina or similar business, and willing to swap services, I own an IT Consulting Company in Roseville. If not, just be honest, inexpensive and email me your quote along with time estimate on how soon it can be done. Please send correspondence to service [at] flatratefix.com

The whole rear deck opens, making for engine R&R a snap. It's inside of a 1988 Daytona 225 small cruiser. You must have proper tools to do this job... I.E. alignment tool and whatever else is required to yank the coupler off the flywheel. Meaning, amatures need not apply.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The engine coupler should be greased regularly, at least during every oil change. The absence of such maintenance is generally the cause of these failures. This is the spot where energy transfer is the greatest, between the engine and outdrive transom plate. Stress is terrific here. Also when an engine is not properly aligned this is the spot that takes up all the slack.

Remember a certified mechanic is not easily replaced by a shade tree one. Ask to see their certifications on the type of equipment they are hired for. Also the D.I.Y people out there take note. In the long run it is cheaper to have it done when vital steps are missed and the expense involved to "undo" what was done... on the cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts