Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a boat i would really like to purchase, however, i know nothing about 140 I/O motors. could someone give me a checklist or anything so i dont buy a lemon? i dont know anyone that knows much about these things.
please respond as soon as possible.
also, i have been a passenger on boats my whole life, so this is gonna be my first boat. what type of license would i need to drive the boat, plus what insurance is required and how much does it usually run?
i know this is a tall order, but i am desperate to get out on the water!!!
thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
First things first....take a boaters safety course.

Buying a boat is one thing but operating it safely is another. You cannot just jump in without proper education and expect good things.

Boat deals will come and go, dont be so desperate that you put yourself, your passengers and others on the lake in jeapordy. Please take a boaters safety class by the Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Auxillary.

To answer your questions in short....

1. A 140 I/O is usually an inline 4 cylyder GM 3.0L. Tough as nails.

2. You currently do not need a boaters license to operate a vessel in Michigan unless you are doing it for hire.

3. Insurance is not required (unless there is a lien on the boat) but is very strongly recommended. Liability damages can mount quick.

Dont let your enthusiasm run your mind, slow down and think it our first....you will be thankful in the long run.

Mini

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boaters safety course is definity on my list, the only one i have found is in Trenton though, are there some around here?
There will be a lein on the boat, so what is a good price for insurance? and where would i get a quote?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Ok congradulations: Now take the cover off the motor look around for any leaks, look for oil all over. check the hose's for dry rot. Pull a plug and inspect it. Check the prop. big hunks missing could result in un-balanced prop. and cause the seals to leak. Ask if the boat leaks. If he or her says no have that put in writing. Go around and inspect it well. Next check the trailor. Look for broken springs. Jack it up and see if there's play in the wheels. Look for cracks all over. Now type in your computers search engine this. What to look for when buying a used boat. There's ton's of info there. Good luck Enjoy your new boat and don't let your excitement cause you to miss a step. Use common sense. Your welcome.

h2o

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Also remember boats don't have brake's!!!!!!!!! Also wind plays a big role in bringing the boat back in the dock. Try and have the wind push the boat towards the dock when poss. Also get used to launching the boat with two ropes one in front one in back. This way it won't get away from you. Be aware of no wake zones. Learn your bouy's, read right away rules. Don't turn the motor off until the boat is secure at the dock. Go real slow when approaching the dock. Boat's don't have brakes.. Just trying to help. Make sure all passengers are sitting down before putting the boat in gear. I'm very happy for you and owning your first boat is like getting married. lol or better....enjoy and leave some fish for me.

h2o

·
Registered
71 Posts
New boater enthusiasm is a wonderful thing. Take your time to educate yourself in the nuances of your boat and in the rules, courtesies, and dangers of operating your equipment. Be safe, have a good time, and welcome to the lake........

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for all the info, i have seen several friends kick them selves for buying a lemon, but have also seen friends have no problems (major problems) at all.
the boat is a 21 foot Rinker(used) with a cuddy cabin.
i noticed there is a certified boaters safety course you can take online for $15 and they will answers all your questions through e-mail.
it seems like it would be better, that way i can learn all the rules and regulations without having to worry about taking time off work.
has anyone taken this course? it is certified by the coast guard and it seems very informative.
please give me your feed back on this subject.

·
Registered
234 Posts
re: your question about the online course - it's certainly better than no course at all, but the live course will be of more value. You get to ask questions there and hear all the other folks' questions. All of which increases retention and relevance. But definitely take one or the other before you start boating. Also, read the owner's manual for your boat and motor. Simple idea - the manuals are full of very good ways to avoid bonehead, potentially very expensive stunts.

If you don't know much about boats, I suggest hiring a surveyor or at least a truly knowledgeable friend to look the boat over. And don't be hasty, for pete's sake. You're gonna leave with that sweetie for awhile, get to know her a bit before you take the plunge.

Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
Depending on the price of the boat I would find a surveyor to look the boat over and a mechanic to look the engine over.

Gregg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they had a surveyor come out and appraise it and go over all the points, i went over all the papers and so far so good, possibly new propeller, everything else it in really good shape!
the trailer however might need some work, if anyone knows where to get some good inexpensive trailer work done, let me know k

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is also an online boaters course at the address at the bottom put out by Boat US. It is pretty good in that it is free (no credit cards needed), it requires you to get at least 80% of the questions correct before it gives you a certificate, you can take it over and over until you do get at least 80%, it gives you the correct answers to the questions after you give your answer, and it will mix in some new questions each time you take it. Give it a try, but I agree that taking a live course affords you a better education because more minds ar participating.

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/registe...ter.asp?TO=TRUE

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did you pay for the Survey or did the seller? I am not a trustworthy guy and would probably not even look at anyones survey unless I paid for it or it was alteast a surveyor I knew and was there when the survey was conducted. You might want to have it checked out of "peace of Mind"

Gregg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided not to purchase that boat, everything was great on it, except for the trailer, it could really use work, new tires, etc
i am still looking for one and i will probably go see 4-5 this week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts