Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY mom always used to make these things she called "hobo pouches." They are beef patties with sliced carrots, potatoes, and onions in a tinfoil pouch done in the oven or on the grill. I'm trying to make them better and haven't had much luck. I started to use olive oil, and it helps, but I'm trying to make them really pop. Rosemary didn't work, and I'm out if ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
Fresh fennel, Celery root, parsnip also help. If you like fresh thyme or rosemary sometimes a port wine or aged balsamic will do the trick, and sea salt and different peppercorns too. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
We do that on the camp fire only we use ground beef and mix it all together. In sticking with the hobo pie theme we always add whatever is laying around but you could also add Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.

My grandma always added a package of lipton onion soup. My neighbors can never add enough lawrys season salt.

Matt

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(nitwit @ Oct 13 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MY mom always used to make these things she called "hobo pouches." They are beef patties with sliced carrots, potatoes, and onions in a tinfoil pouch done in the oven or on the grill. I'm trying to make them better and haven't had much luck. I started to use olive oil, and it helps, but I'm trying to make them really pop. Rosemary didn't work, and I'm out if ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks

try using rutubaga for something different. turnips would be a nice twist. a sprig of fresh thyme would be nice. rosemary is way too woody and piney, thyme is nice, mild and not so overpowering. some fresh garlic would be a nice addition. I remember amking them in scouts and you'd be surprized what a difference a tablespoon of BBQ sauce makes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts