Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its been about 10+ years since I owned my own bike and it looks like I may be getting one in the near future. Cant find my old helmet and havent looked for a new one, yet. Who carries the MDOT approved ones now a days at a reasonable cost? Dont want to skimp on the melon gear, but at the same time I dont need one with built in a/c and a single windshield wiper either.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
When I first got a bike, I bought a helmet at Meijers...
Since then, I realized that you have to have "cool" helmets, and you can find one at any powersports store...
Also, if you can wait to have it shipped, you can find some good deals on ebay. Have fun!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I bought mine at 21 & gratiot... honda/yamaha dealer...

only an OK selection.

Where kristin got her bike, like ford road out in bfe on the west side (
) there was a HUGE selection!

But if you are getting a harley, any harley dealer should have them...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, no Harley over here. Looking at a mid 80's Honda Goldwing, GL 1100. Looking at Meijer's, Walmart and even JC Whitney. DOnt need a "cool" helmet, just one that will save the old melon if it has too. I might custom it tot thepoint of getting one that match's the bike in color, but other than that, full face shield most likely.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
people always look for the best price on a helmet, remember it's your head inside. i'd go with a good brand with a high rating. a couple of hundred now may save your life later...

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Pandora @ May 13 2004, 12:18 PM)people always look for the best price on a helmet, remember it's your head inside. i'd go with a good brand with a high rating. a couple of hundred now may save your life later...
Couldnt agree with you more.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I heard "ANSI" certified were some of the best yet most expensive... didn't see those where I looked

I have a DOT/Snell certified one.

·
Registered
530 Posts
sport mart on moravian and garfield has some good helmets at reasonable cost. they're way cheaper than macomb powersports (21& gratiot) on identical buckets assuming you want a full face.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
look on e bay i got two new shoei troy lee design helmets for under 500. usually about 400 each.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For all you bikers out here, what do you prefer..........

Full face or open face helmets?

and why?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Full face and chains on the tires....Can you say fish fly season fast approaching?

Really, full face....Shields the wind and bugs!

·
Registered
243 Posts
mid 80's model goldwing has a gigantic windshield and will create a comphy wind envelope. Open face would be my suggestion. No windshield would DEFINATELY equal full face. I had my open face on with no windshield and took a june bug to the cheek. <_< Sucked. I wouldn't want that to happen again.

Best place would be Anderson Honda on Telegraph. HUGE selection. My brother works at Small Displacement on M-59 in Waterford and they have better prices but a smaller selection

Once you get that helmet - we gotta go riding!!!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up a full face one this morning but I am still thinking about an open face. Gettign one for the kids this weekend adn they are getting full face with no questions asked. I may pick up an open faced one just to have the option.

Bike should be here tuesday or wednesday and then WE RIDE!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
hey guys!

c~girl and I are doing cruiser night on an upcoming Wednesday. Do you want to join us??

Pammee you can be my guardian angel!! lol...

btw, I have a 3/4 helmet and am getting a full face before I go on the freeway.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 3 2004, 01:05 PM)btw, I have a 3/4 helmet and am getting a full face before I go on the freeway.
If I go open faced, it would be a 3/4 with the optional face shield.

Majority of driving I will be doing will be from sterling heights to work in detroit so its all x-way. For that and what the x-way can kick up, full face is the way to go. For riding around to the boat, park, ect... I may go with the 3/4 just to keep the bugs in my teeth for good looks.

Q. How can you tell a happy biker?

A. buy the number of bugs in their teeth.

·
Registered
243 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 3 2004, 01:05 PM)hey guys!

c~girl and I are doing cruiser night on an upcoming Wednesday. Do you want to join us??

Pammee you can be my guardian angel!! lol...

btw, I have a 3/4 helmet and am getting a full face before I go on the freeway.
I'm THERE sis-tah! Just let me know when and where and I'll be your 'wing wo-man'

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jun 3 2004, 11:16 AM)For all you bikers out here, what do you prefer..........

Full face or open face helmets?

and why?
Full-face here, that way not as many people have to see my silly "orgasm-face" that I get after I pop one!

A wheelie you perverts, pop a wheelie.........sheesh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts