Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our faucets at the opposite end of the house have to ran for several minutes (wasting at least two gallons of water) to get hot water to it everytime you want hot water.

I have heard of running a pipe back to the hot water tank. Is this the right solution (cost of water constantly running back to the tank)? and is basically just t-ing into the hot water at one end and then t-ing into the cold water on the tank????

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I have no idea what you are talking about in that second paragraph. Since the hot water has to travel the whole length of the house, there's just a lot of water sitting in that long pipe that needs to be moved out first before the hot water gets through.

Just start the dishwasher or washing machine first, then you'll have all the hot water you need down at the end.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
"I have heard of running a pipe back to the hot water tank. Is this the right solution (cost of water constantly running back to the tank)?"

You mean running a circulating pump so the water is always hot? I don't think that would be very efficient either. Your best bet is to install one of those demand water heaters at that end to provide instant hot water until the main hot water tanks water was at temp. I don't know how well they work, but they would be backed up by the hot water from the main heater. So it would only be in real use for those first couple of gallons.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Gary,
This might be a silly question, but, is the specific pipe that you are concerned about insulated?? It might be an inexpensive help, not a fix though.
I wouls probably suggest an on demand like spider suggested. I don't think they are terribly expensive.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i have same thing i wraped with insulation thats about all you can do. or like spider said get one of those on demand heaters there expensive though

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Or and even cheaper solution is just wait 15-20 seconds for the hot water to get there.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did go through and insulate all the hot water pipes. The suggestion in mentioned came from two master plumbers both are retired and out of it. My neighbor heard of the same thing. I don't want to start cutting into pipes and find it doesn't work.

If was the simple soultion why didn't the build just do it from the get go....Never mind the answer to that is in the question <_<

Not sure if this would be cost effective or not. and if it is code.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Nov 8 2003, 09:15 AM)Not sure if this would be cost effective or not. and if it is code.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Trying to gravity feed by making a hot water loop with the return to a point low on the water heater tank probably won't work.

A recirculating pump with an aquastat thermostat on it will, but you'll be heating all of your pipes like a radiator. Even with the insulation on them, they'll be lossy. Your cost for the electricity to run the circulating pump now and then, and the additional energy to keep the pipes hot, will far exceed the cost of just running the water to get it hot.

The best bet, if you absolutely have to have instant hot water, is the instant on-demand heater mentioned earlier. Just remember that these heaters take a *lot* of electricity to get the water hot. They don't run for long, so it's not a bad deal, but you're going to need some plumbing changes as well as electrical wiring done. All need permits, and all are expensive.

Cheapest fix over the long run, as was said before, is to run the water.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
QUOTEOr and even cheaper solution is just wait 15-20 seconds for the hot water to get there.

That`s what I do......Just wait it out!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(RED HOT ONE @ Nov 8 2003, 09:42 AM)QUOTEOr and even cheaper solution is just wait 15-20 seconds for the hot water to get there.

That`s what I do......Just wait it out!!!!

Don't need on demand hot water...just thinking about all the wasted water. I'm in NB and we are on our own H2O.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ Nov 8 2003, 10:40 AM)Don't need on demand hot water...just thinking about all the wasted water. I'm in NB and we are on our own H2O.
Next thing you know you will start recycling your pee.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Nov 8 2003, 05:17 PM)QUOTE(garydebs @ Nov 8 2003, 10:40 AM) Don't need on demand hot water...just thinking about all the wasted water. I'm in NB and we are on our own H2O.

why do I bother <_<

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Nov 8 2003, 06:17 PM)QUOTE(garydebs @ Nov 8 2003, 10:40 AM) Don't need on demand hot water...just thinking about all the wasted water. I'm in NB and we are on our own H2O.

ewwwww. The old marine and airline heads did that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
my neighbor's a plumber and he does the recirculating thing where it goes back to the water heater and constantly recirculates. he basically has lava coming out as soon as you turn the hot water on. BUT, its gonna use a little more natural gas to keep it hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts