Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost hate to do this but I got over it.
Here's my story.

I contacted Blaz Marine to do the winterizing and shrink wrap for my boat in early November. They did the winterizing and told me that they were very buzy with shrink wrapping and it would take about 2 weeks to get it done. No problem I said but please call me before its done so I can remove the front windows prior to wrapping and I also needed an access door installed.

I waited about a week and went there to check the boat and guess what, Well they didn't call, wrapped it and no access door! I got pi$$ed and took out my swiss army knife and cut the wrap off and threw it in the dumpster.
I called balz marine the following monday to straighten out this mess and was told that they would install a door in the wrap. I said what wrap? I told you I cut it off cause I couldn't get to the windows! Dave said that he would have the company redo it (They sub out shrink wrap) when the weather breaks (It was rainy that week).
I also wanted to know what the charges would be and was told they would have to call me back to tell me.
That was 2 weeks ago and still no wrap or any return calls.

I called today and was told Dave would call me back cause he was too buzy in the shop. Well big suprise, He never called me back! I realise Blaz is busy but come on! I need this boat wrapped before the snow hits.

Sorry to ramble on, but being new to the boating lifestyle I figured I could trust a company that was associated with LSCNet. Maybe Blaz is so buzy they can afford to lose a customer or two. That's fine but just tell me so I can look elsewhere for service.

Anyway, can someone recommend a reputable shrink wrap company? One that returns phone calls.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i wouldnt have cut the wrap off i had made them do it. also cut a door in ,my marina forgot that once but they did it right after i called them.

mike ryan aka shoregasam does shrink wrap,on the board here. try e mail or p.m him.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
You dont even have to call.

How is Tuesday afternoon for you?

Give me a call and we will get it done.

313-729-1326

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Dec 5 2003, 11:17 PM)i wouldnt have cut the wrap off i had made them do it. also cut a door in ,my marina forgot that once but they did it right after i called them.
If I waited for them to do it I'd be waiting all winter. I would have if I didn't need to remove the front windows,
They were leaking badly, The previous owner just layered on the silicone and painted over it. Not only were they leaking, they looked like sh!t! I've got them in my basement now and am sanding and re-painting them. Then I'll install new plexiglass.

The point is I wanted to be there and remove the windows before it was wrapped. Also I wanted to grab all the canvas and store it in my basement for the winter.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
could be worse i bought our boat new lake fenton marina almost in to sept. there was warranty work to be done so i brought it back at end of season to be shrink wraped and everything fixed . I just had a bad feeling so we took a drive out there glad i did no shrink wrap 2 feet of snow on it and was in same spot i parked it.. grr man was i pissed... the owner heard it big time from me monday.. as well as regal...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Tango 7 @ Dec 5 2003, 11:29 PM)You dont even have to call.

How is Tuesday afternoon for you?

Give me a call and we will get it done.

313-729-1326
Thanks Tango 7. I'll call you saturday and get the details.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted this in The Boathouse last Saturday and It moved off the first page pretty fast so I figured I'd post it here also so it would have a longer life.

Thanks to Tango 7 (Brian) I finally got my boat shrinkwrapped! After getting the run-around from another company for several weeks I decided to have someone else do it so I asked in the Cruising/Power forum and Tango 7 offered.
He also did my mechanical survey back in september so I figured I let him do it. Boy we couldn't have picked a colder day! Brrr...! I'll deffinately do it earler next year. The boat is finally ready for the harsh winter. Now I can't wait to unwrap it and take her out to the moot! Is it spring yet?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
QUOTE(dno @ Dec 5 2003, 04:59 PM)Sorry to ramble on, but being new to the boating lifestyle I figured I could trust a company that was associated with LSCNet. Maybe Blaz is so buzy they can afford to lose a customer or two. That's fine but just tell me so I can look elsewhere for service.
Wow, that's a helluva story! I was wondering something though. Is this the first time you've had a boat wrapped? Based on the part of your post that I quoted, I'm guessing it is. There are a couple reasons for my asking The first one is because I used to be in the marine service business and I know a bit about how it works. Another reason is that after having used most of the companies in the area over the course of 12 plus years for things I couldn't handle myself, I've found Dave to be about the best. Winterizing season is about the busiest for those guys... any of them. Trying to get a return call can sometimes be difficult. Every year its the same thing. We all want our boats useable as long as possible.... and then it happens. All of a sudden the weather channel goes from predicting 60 degrees to predicting freezing temps.... which causes us hold-outs to freak out and our mechanics to want to pull their hair out. Somehow, they always seem to get it done before freeze damage occurs. I've never had anything break as a result of Blaz's winterizing. My point is that even though it may seem a bit like you're being blown off, chances are they are out working on that long list of boats belonging to those of us that insisted on trying to get that "one last ride" in. Regarding your shrinkwrapping: I had a similiar situation happen once. I needed access doors installed to allow me to get in and do work during the off season. When I saw my boat wrapped with no access doors I came unglued! I went inside and asked Blaz why there were no doors and he told me that they needed to take advantage of a day without wind and get the thing wrapped. He went on to say that the doors could easily be installed at any time. I told him where I wanted them and was happy to see them the next time I went out to the boat. Maybe this is what happened in your case. It sounds like you made a costly mistake when you cut the entire wrap off. I work with a guy that does wrapping on the side and I know that the material is very expensive. (He's all done for the season and charges more than Blaz anyway) I guess the moral of the story is that in my many years of experience...... I've found that the best way to communicate with your marine service people (during winterizing season) is talking to them in person. I would highly recommend Blaz Marine to any of my friends. They sure have gotten me out of a pinch more than once. I hope this info helps. BTW..... my name is Dave Efimoff. Feel free to message me anytime and I'll tell you who to DEFINITELY NOT deal with.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(RaftguywithJager @ Dec 16 2003, 03:47 PM)It sounds like you made a costly mistake when you cut the entire wrap off. I work with a guy that does wrapping on the side and I know that the material is very expensive.
It wasn't me who made the "Costly Mistake" cause I'm not paying for it. The simple fact is I requested a phone call when they were going to do it and nobody called. I was ready at a moments notice to come out and remove the windows before wrapping. Even if they put a door in after the fact It would have made it damn near impossible to remove the windows without tearing the shrink wrap. As I stated, Blaz did a great job winterizing my boat but is it to much to ask for a phone call before work is done? I also realize that they sub-out the shrink wrap but they can make a note "Call owner before work is done" He has issues to take care of prior to wrapping.
Also this business of last minuite and hundreds of boats dosn't concern me, I'm a paying customer and expect to be treated as such. If you can do the job fine, If not I'll find someone else who can. No hard feelings.
I'm not trying to make Blaz look bad and I apologise if it sounds that way.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Gotcha! Well, as I said above, I've dealt with a lot of companies and have had some pretty bad luck. Not always... but enough times. Put it this way, Blaz has saved my weekend enough times that it caused me to want to keep my boat close to their facility. I have to go out there today or tomorrow to get my engines.... they pulled them for me when they pulled my boat out. I'll mention your situation. It sounds like the communication broke down. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(RaftguywithJager @ Dec 16 2003, 10:47 AM)Is this the first time you've had a boat wrapped? Based on the part of your post that I quoted, I'm guessing it is. There are a couple reasons for my asking The first one is because I used to be in the marine service business and I know a bit about how it works. Another reason is that after having used most of the companies in the area over the course of 12 plus years for things I couldn't handle myself, I've found Dave to be about the best. Winterizing season is about the busiest for those guys... any of them. Trying to get a return call can sometimes be difficult.
I don't want to sound like a jerk and I am not coming down on any one company. With that out of the way if any company cant follow or respect a customer request than the hell with them. I know what it is like with all of the last minute phone calls but as a business owner you have to remember that these phones calls are your customers. They want to pay you money. I too have been backlogged and it has taken a week or so to get to some of them but you HAVE to communicate with them. If a customer asked that you call before you do the work you HAVE TO call them first. I know this gets harder when you sub out some of the work but the contractor represents your company, make sure they respect your customers as much as you do. It's not like there isn't 50 other companies that you can call to get the work done.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(RaftguywithJager @ Dec 16 2003, 10:51 PM)Gotcha! Well, as I said above, I've dealt with a lot of companies and have had some pretty bad luck. Not always... but enough times. Put it this way, Blaz has saved my weekend enough times that it caused me to want to keep my boat close to their facility. I have to go out there today or tomorrow to get my engines.... they pulled them for me when they pulled my boat out. I'll mention your situation. It sounds like the communication broke down. I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks for your concern but please don't mention my situation with them. Its over, the deal is done and frankly, I don't need a third party to express my concerns to them. I assume its just because they are going a mile a minuite and are totally stressed out. When things get that hectic I can understand that you just need to walk away from it and have a beer or twelve. As I said, I don't have any Ill feelings toward Blaz. They are just guys trying to make a living just like me.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Not a problem. I'm sure they'll see the post anyway since they're a sponsor.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Just jumping in here with my story as well.

When I made the arraingments with Blaz to haul and store the boat for the winter I expressly asked that I be notified prior to them hauling the boat as I NEEDED to be there if at all possible. (I used Dolphinite's GoFast paint and am now involved in the lawsuit against them for a shiddy product and needed photo's of the hull, below the waterline, to document the claim.) The secretary made the note and said it would be about a week. I called a week later, on a friday, and was told it would come out monday. I showed up first thing monday morning to find her on stands and power washed. they hauled her saturday morning and no phone call. So much for the evidence. A communications gap I thought and tried to work something else out with the attorney.

When shrink wrapped, I asked for an access door. I PAID for an access door. I showed up a week after it was hauled and it was wrapped, but no door. I asked again and was told they were out but would have one on within the week. I showed up a little over 2 weeks later to pull the batteries and still no door. I went to Boat/US, dropped $30.00, and put it in myself. I made a little noise about this and went away satisfied. This is not the doing of Blaz as they sub-contract the shrink wrap jobs. Sure would like to know with what company.

Got a phone call from Dave on 12/19 that someone had walked around my boat and was kind enough to cut off the shrinkwrap and slash it from arms reach down. Again, this could happen at any winter storage facility, or at the marina with the canvass during the season so I dont fault Blaz, and do appreciate the phone call and the additional security measures they have undertaken. After finally getting straight from my surgery on the 18th, I called to see what we can do about the wrap before we get hit with the snow. The machine says they are closed until the 5th of Jan., but that they do check their messages in the meantime. Let's see what happens.

I too, thank you for letting me vent. I have nothing against Blaz marine and have good remarks for them as for the work that THEY do. I have no problems with them and would be happy to recommned them. They are going to be doing some transome(sp?) work over the winter and most likely changing out the head and I am looking forward for their mechanics and reputation to go to work on my boat. It's just that I sure would like a break on this years winter storage situation.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Here it is, Jan. 3th and no phone call. I realize the message said "office closed till the 5th of Jan for the holidays", but it also said "we will be checking the messages throughout." Guess I was hoping to hear something from someone before monday morning and the possible 9" of snow by then.

Hey Tango7, Brian, did you get my email from a week ago?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 3 2004, 03:11 PM)Here it is, Jan. 3th and no phone call. I realize the message said "office closed till the 5th of Jan for the holidays", but it also said "we will be checking the messages throughout." Guess I was hoping to hear something from someone before monday morning and the possible 9" of snow by then.

I could be wrong but I think your boat has been rewrapped!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
QUOTE(RaftguywithJager @ Jan 3 2004, 08:16 PM)QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 3 2004, 03:11 PM) Here it is, Jan. 3th and no phone call. I realize the message said "office closed till the 5th of Jan for the holidays", but it also said "we will be checking the messages throughout." Guess I was hoping to hear something from someone before monday morning and the possible 9" of snow by then.

I could be wrong but I think your boat has been rewrapped!
Nope, you are not wrong, you are VERY MUCH RIGHT!

I read the posts fromteh thread in the Boat house and took off in the rain to check it out for myself. No wonder I did not hear anything back from Dave/Blaz Marine, the boat had been rewrapped without me even knowing about it. Dave took it upon himself to take care of the problem that could have gotten very serious with the possibility of the coming snowstorm without even calling and asking if he should. He just DID IT. What a great surprise and relief.

I am a firm believer in communicaton on everything as that is what makes happy customers or not so happy customers. In this case, it has made me a VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER and am looking forward to a long and fantastic relationship with Blaz Marine.

THANKS AGAIN DAVE. YOU'VE MADE MY DAY!!

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 3 2004, 03:11 PM)Here it is, Jan. 3th and no phone call. I realize the message said "office closed till the 5th of Jan for the holidays", but it also said "we will be checking the messages throughout." Guess I was hoping to hear something from someone before monday morning and the possible 9" of snow by then.

Talked to you today Jim. I did not get an email from you thou. Not sure if you sent it threw the board or not. It consernes me that i may have missed others too. I am glad things worked out for you and your boat.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Thanks Brian. We'll be in touch.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jan 4 2004, 02:03 AM)No wonder I did not hear anything back from Dave/Blaz Marine, the boat had been rewrapped without me even knowing about it. Dave took it upon himself to take care of the problem that could have gotten very serious with the possibility of the coming snowstorm without even calling and asking if he should. He just DID IT. What a great surprise and relief.
I'm glad everything worked out for you but a simple phone call would have saved you a trip in the rain. And how worried were you that it was not done? This is my whole point. Maybe Dave should hire a kid to follow him around all day and call customers with updates. Or get one of those "Note to self" things to remind him to have his office girl call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.