Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Tried this last summer, but there weren't hardly as many peeps in here and it never got fully discussed.

I have a new (last summer) Panasonic stereo/CD player I installed on the boat. When I turn up the volume it cuts out and all you can hear is a teeny tiny bit of whatever's playing and a humming noise. You then have to turn the thing off, then turn it back on. As it comes back on, it automatically starts at volume level zero and works it's way up to the last previously set volume level. So obviously you have immediately start turning the volume down when you turn it back on, otherwise, it goes back up to the old level and cuts out again.

Until it cuts down it sounds fine. It also doesn't happen everytime, but it seems to do it more when the bass bumps a little harder, or a song that has a lower range. It happens on both the CD player and while in stereo mode. I don't have anything else hooked up to it (amplifier, etc.). Just the stereo with the speakers (4, 2 front, 2 back). I checked the manual, but there's nothing in it about that happening.

Any clue as to what the hell is going with this? Can't even use the damn thing half the time.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
My dad just bought a new Kenwood receiver and it was doing the same thing. If he turned the volume up too loud, the thing cut off into STANDBY mode and you had to turn it back on.

He called Kenwood and they said; "Don't do that! Its supposed to shut off." Its some sort of safety feature so you don't blow anything out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
as with all things of this type, it can be a number of things. First off, it sounds like the unit is not getting enough power to run the amp. In this case you need to know if the amplifier section of the unit is MOSFET type. When amps dont get the power they need to drive the speakers they overheat, and if there is a safety circuit, the unit will shut down. you mention 3 speakers in back. there may be a Ohm loading problem with that which will lead you back to the first problem. Speaker Ohm loading must be divisible by 2 or 4. is the third speaker a subwoofer?

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i don't know anything about those except i it pi$$es you off, rip it out and toss it like a frisbee.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Make sure that you used large enough gauge wiring to power the radio. Heavy base at high volume requires a lot of power. If your feed wires can't handle the load, the lack of power may freak out the logic circuits in the radio or trip some kind of safety circuit.

Other then that I'll just refer you to Hammer the boat radio god.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Bassneck @ Jun 19 2003, 11:23 AM)as with all things of this type, it can be a number of things. First off, it sounds like the unit is not getting enough power to run the amp. In this case you need to know if the amplifier section of the unit is MOSFET type. When amp dont get the power they need to drive the speakers they overheat, and if there is a safety circuit, the unit will shut down. you mention 3 speakers in back. there may be a Ohm loading problem with that which will lead you back to the first problem.
That was a mistype on my part, only 2 speakers in front and 2 speakers in back. Sorry about that.

The unit does get VERY hot. I put a tempurature probe to the metal and it was over 105F, but it felt hotter than that. I don't know if it's a MOSFET type of amp, but it sure sounds like that could be the problem.

How the hell do I rectify that? Why wouldn't there be enough power?

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's going thermal more then likely, also check your speaker terminals for excess wire, electricity like men wants to jump
but seriously it's doing what it is supposed to do, protect itself. If you want louder buy something bigger or install system on boat and start strapping 12 volt batteries together

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Jun 19 2003, 11:29 AM)Make sure that you used large enough gauge wiring to power the radio. Heavy base at high volume requires a lot of power. If your feed wires can't handle the load, the lack of power may freak out the logic circuits in the radio or trip some kind of safety circuit.

Other then that I'll just refer you to Hammer the boat radio god.

After reading Bassneck's post, I started thinking about that. I don't remember what guage wire it was, but if I remember correctly I'm betting it was about 18 to 24 AWG. Perhaps I should rewire it with like 16 AWG?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
What gauge wire are you running to the unit? What are gauge wire are you running for your ground. Mine was doing a similar thing. I just had to redo mine last year, granted my boat has an amp too. Anyway, I now have 4 gauge running to the battery for both the power and ground up to the amp. I then tied into the 4 gauge power and ground to the head unit.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Jun 19 2003, 11:26 AM)i don't know anything about those except i it pi$$es you off, rip it out and toss it like a frisbee.

You have NO IDEA how badly I wanted to do that all last summer! But we so many othe rprblems I never got around to trying to fix it, and frankly I forgot about it until we were on the water last weekend.

Just about threw that b*tch into the drink! SPLASH!

·
Registered
487 Posts
The heavier the guage the better the transfer of power. When I owned my biz I had a customer come in screamin' because his new speakers and reciever were shutting down on him, how could I sell him this junk? When I took a trip to his house besides being one beer short of a case he was wiring it up with 300 ohm Telephone zip cable!!!!!
Doh! When in doubt go heavier.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Milord @ Jun 19 2003, 11:32 AM)What gauge wire are you running to the unit? What are gauge wire are you running for your ground. Mine was doing a similar thing. I just had to redo mine last year, granted my boat has an amp too. Anyway, I now have 4 gauge running to the battery for both the power and ground up to the amp. I then tied into the 4 gauge power and ground to the head unit.
4 guage??!!! Oh, but that's to your amp, right? All the wires on the sttereo sid eof the harness are like 18, 22 maybe?? I wish I was at the boat right now, I'd tell you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You put a new stereo into a boat with pre exsisting speakers, at this point checking the Ohms of the speakers is next, but I dont think that is everything here. the temp gauge was a good idea, sounds like the unit overheats, either from Ohm loading and/or power starvation. If I were me, I would check those and then try a power amp hook-up to comare the difference, I have one you could try it with. The conditions on a boat are tough for stereos, I would not be suprised if this is common. My boat stereo is in a good spot in the cabin and never sees sunshine. As staded above, the heavey gauge wire solves the power starvation problem and reduces amp overheating.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Install the amp on the under-side of the boat. That way the cool lake water will keep it from over-heating.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(tsunamihart @ Jun 19 2003, 11:35 AM)When I took a trip to his house besides being one beer short of a case he was wiring it up with 300 ohm Telephone zip cable!!!!!

Holy Sh*t!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jun 19 2003, 11:37 AM)Install the amp on the under-side of the boat. That way the cool lake water will keep it from over-heating.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I say get your $$$ back for the radio - take it back, then go out on the boat, get drunk and just sing your a$$es off!!! lol

Good Luck - this is definietly the place to get help, and I'm no help in here so I'll just go over to another thread and bug someone else.......

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Bassneck @ Jun 19 2003, 11:36 AM)You put a new stereo into a boat with pre exsisting speakers, at this point checking the Ohms of the speakers is next, but I dont think that is everything here. the temp gauge was a good idea, sounds like the unit overheats, either from Ohm loading and/or power starvation. If I were me, I would check those and then try a power amp hook-up to comare the difference, I have one you could try it with. The conditions on a boat are tough for stereos, I would not be suprised if this is common. My boat stereo is in a good spot in the cabin and never sees sunshine. As staded above, the heavey gauge wire solves the power starvation problem and reduces amp overheating.
"You put a new stereo into a boat with pre exsisting speakers, at this point checking the Ohms of the speakers is next,"
I checked the speakers last summer. I think they were 8 ohm speakers, which is what the stereo said. Or was it 4 ohm? Sh*t. Whatever the speakers are is what the stereo says, I do know that.

"try a power amp hook-up to comare the difference"
How will it power the amp then? I'm confused here. Maybe I don't know what you mean.

My boat stereo is in a good spot in the cabin and never sees sunshine.
Mine's in a pretty good spot too, shouldn't see much if any direct sun, it also has a smoked plastic cover to sheild it from any sun it does get, which I always keep closed.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ Jun 19 2003, 11:36 AM)QUOTE(Milord @ Jun 19 2003, 11:32 AM) What gauge wire are you running to the unit? What are gauge wire are you running for your ground. Mine was doing a similar thing. I just had to redo mine last year, granted my boat has an amp too. Anyway, I now have 4 gauge running to the battery for both the power and ground up to the amp. I then tied into the 4 gauge power and ground to the head unit.
4 guage??!!! Oh, but that's to your amp, right? All the wires on the sttereo sid eof the harness are like 18, 22 maybe?? I wish I was at the boat right now, I'd tell you.
I figured why 'f' around with 8 gauge or something. Who knows when I will require another amp or something!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Shandog @ Jun 19 2003, 11:40 AM)I say get your $$$ back for the radio - take it back, then go out on the boat, get drunk and just sing your a$$es off!!! lol

Good Luck - this is definietly the place to get help, and I'm no help in here so I'll just go over to another thread and bug someone else.......

Get out of here, you!!!

Actually I originally returned the first one I had cause it got so hot, I didn't think that was right. I exchanged for the exact same unit, thinking it might be specific to the one I bought. Nope. Happened on the next one, too, so it's definitely on my part.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.