Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's my my second post and I was just wondering if I am able to troll out on st. clair, towards the light, primarily going for walleye, without using planer boards. Usually I go out with a few buddies and we just drift using crawler harnesses and we usually go out around 5:30-6:00a.m. We usually do fairly well out there but recently we haven't caught anything except seaweeds and I'm beginning to believe its because were not trolling. So idk if I am able to troll without having a trolling motor or planer boards? I can get the boat down to around 1-2 mph though. But anyways thanks for the help in advance, Nick

·
Registered
958 Posts
My guess would be yes to trolling without boards but you may want to run the lines out a bit further behind the boat. I see lots of guys trolling up near metro without boards and they seem to do fine.
But I'm not a troller, so take my 2 cents for what it worth.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes you can. just use heavier weight and fish the deeper water on the edge of the shipping channel. Just try to find water that's just a little deeper than the weeds and troll just outside of the weeds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE(Nickh @ Jul 10 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey guys, it's my my second post and I was just wondering if I am able to troll out on st. clair, towards the light, primarily going for walleye, without using planer boards. Usually I go out with a few buddies and we just drift using crawler harnesses and we usually go out around 5:30-6:00a.m. We usually do fairly well out there but recently we haven't caught anything except seaweeds and I'm beginning to believe its because were not trolling. So idk if I am able to troll without having a trolling motor or planer boards? I can get the boat down to around 1-2 mph though. But anyways thanks for the help in advance, Nick

last weekend we got 9 eye's statred at can 27 fished the edge of channel to can 25 then headed west about 1/2 mile and trolled back in big loop zig Zag to cover more water.
4oz bottom bouncer, with 6 foot lead.

50/50 chart and orange, large blade and fire tiger with small blade.

about 40 feet back in 18-15 fow 1.7 gps early then 2.3 gps seem to be the ticket.
went back this morning got 3 eyes and 25 perch fish seem bite lite.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(Air Boat @ Jul 10 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nickh @ Jul 10 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey guys, it's my my second post and I was just wondering if I am able to troll out on st. clair, towards the light, primarily going for walleye, without using planer boards. Usually I go out with a few buddies and we just drift using crawler harnesses and we usually go out around 5:30-6:00a.m. We usually do fairly well out there but recently we haven't caught anything except seaweeds and I'm beginning to believe its because were not trolling. So idk if I am able to troll without having a trolling motor or planer boards? I can get the boat down to around 1-2 mph though. But anyways thanks for the help in advance, Nick

last weekend we got 9 eye's statred at can 27 fished the edge of channel to can 25 then headed west about 1/2 mile and trolled back in big loop zig Zag to cover more water.
4oz bottom bouncer, with 6 foot lead.

50/50 chart and orange, large blade and fire tiger with small blade.

about 40 feet back in 18-15 fow 1.7 gps early then 2.3 gps seem to be the ticket.
went back this morning got 3 eyes and 25 perch fish seem bite lite.

You and Boom seem to have good knowlege for the eyes. Same thing i have done, but been busy going after yhe Muskie this year. Next time out, heading for the St. Clair light using 2 oz. bottom bouncers with 36" leads. 15-18 fow.
1.2 to 1.5 MPH works for us. Perch like it a little slower, eyes a little on the faster range. We try to keep our lines at a 45 degree angle. Out farther and we seem to get more weeds. Tip: Always keep checking the lines, weeds= no fish. The work and effort pays off!
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 10 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess would be yes to trolling without boards but you may want to run the lines out a bit further behind the boat. I see lots of guys trolling up near metro without boards and they seem to do fine.
But I'm not a troller, so take my 2 cents for what it worth.

thats how i do it keep the line far away from the boat as possable i only use a split shot or two

·
Registered
20 Posts
Planer boards have always made it easyer for me to keep my lines spread apart and run more lines. Although I can say I have been very successful with the eyes on st clair this year. The fishing has been excellent outside sterling st park on erie. 22-25 fow with 2 oz bb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts