Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i don't know what to do. i've been in business successfully for a year now. i work on a 50% down, 50% day of completion unless otherwise noted in a signed contract i have with the client. i have had NO problems with this arrangement for a year.

i have a client who owes me a couple thou. he was honest 2 weeks ago & told me he did not know if he would be able to pay me in full on the day my $$ was due (tomorrow). when i spoke with him today, he said that no, he couldn't pay me tomorrow, it may be another couple weeks, but i indeed would get paid. he assured me that he pays all his vendors, and not to worry. but when i brought up, then how about next friday the 6th, he said he'd love to say yes but couldn't. when i spoke with the actual sponsors of the event, they said they paid a BIG amount to him at the beginning, and could not understand why he could not pay me on time.

i do not want to make my client mad, as i'd like to do more stuff with them in the future, and they carry a bit o clout in my profession. i'd like to scribe a letter saying 'hey, thanks for your honesty, i like working with you, so i'm giving you 2 weeks. by june 13 i gotta have the dough.'

what do you all think?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Uggh - sticky, icky situation Ck. I was dealing with the same thing today myself.

I waited a few weeks, haven't gotten the $$ from some freelance work, so I broke down and called them today. The crappy thing is that I felt like an arse calling them and asking them for MY $$ for my services rendered - but ya do, ya know. It's like, you don't want to hound them, but we all work for our $$, and the job is done, so pay up - damm!t! <_<

My advice to you is definitely set a target date when you call him next. In the nicest way let him know you are expecting to be paid on such and such a date. In the future with this client, ask for more up front as well.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man, i hear you on the 'feeling like an arse for calling them.'!! i always feel like i am begging and it sucks. no matter how you try to come off, you sound like oliver asking for 'more, sir.'

sticky,in this situation, sucks.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Also stipulate either a bonus (if paid early) or an interest rate if paid late. Standard business stuff (2% after net 30 or net 60 is what my company charges, depending opn the deal written)

Good luck and keep on them, it is part of the business world and all people understand it. Heck I had to go repo rods last week in Indiana cause he didnt pay.

Mini

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
That is always an awkward situation. We do as Mini said and offer incentives to those who pay more up front.

And those who don't pay, get to deal with the wrath of Mongo. I swear he gets pleasure from making those phone calls. We can lease him out to you if you need him.

The advantage we have though, is that we can take down our customers sites, if they don't pay. In fact, we have 2 coming down Saturday unless I hear otherwise.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Got the same problem, mortgage company owes me over 1G for some work, over 3 months past due, haven't really heard from them for a while, have been faxing over invoices, etc...

They called today and needed a rush copy of a report I did for them abouth 4 months ago, that they didn't pay for yet!!!! I sent them a new invoice and said pay all past dues first, get report after.

I get companies that don't want to pay after I finish a report saying that the loan didn't close or the value wasn't high enough - too bad - thats not my fault - do you tell the credit reporting company that you aren't paying for a credit report when it comes back bad.

Sucks tracking down past dues and calling and faxing invoices to regular clients, but when the money starts adding up, it may not be worth having them as a client.

I lost (or didnt get paid) just under 10G about 5 years ago when a well known mortgage company (DMR mortgage) went bankrupt, I let the past dues slide to long and they walked on the debt. I try not to let anything get over 2G past due for 60 days, or I cut off the work.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You know it, when you offer the disount for early payment that adds up. But, you have to establish that from the get go.

I am the treasurer of an organization and we are currently owed a good about of money from one company. I have no doubt that they will pay, but I have to jugle my books until that happens. Not the easiest thing to do and sending letts seem to be lost.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Have you client post date a check for 15 or 30 days, that way you wont have to call them back or chase them down for you payment, or have them give you a check and tell them you will hold it for so many days or untill they contact you. Kinda a honor system. They should have no problem with that, unless they dont intend on paying you anytime soon.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i'm not into 'juggling the books' which is what the sponsor told me they think has happened...that he owed money and used their $$ to pay off those, and is hoping to get in another sponsor check from somewhere else to pay off me.

either way, i'm cheezed. i'm always giving the benefit of the doubt, but when does one draw the line? i mean to me, a couple grand IS a lot of money and i want it in my account where it belongs. i did the work, i want the pay. i don't plan on letting it go on any further. since he isn't paying me before the event as is in the contract, should i even go thru with the event? should i give him that letter and let him respond on his own, and if he doesn't then i don't go thru with the event?

i mean he's like 'hold all the info you've collected until i pay you.' heck, he could say 'screw it i don't need it' and i'm left with info i don't need and worked VERY hard for (like duece). grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
...the joys of being in business for oneself...I have had to wait up to 60 days for payment from some MAJOR accounts...Now I ALWAYS collect my entire first month's fees upfront - My policy is ten days net thereafter. I include all payment terms in my contracts, and unfortunately, I still need to make those friendly reminder phone calls, emails and second notices.

Did you ask him for at least a partial payment? Perhaps scheduled partial payments over the next few weeks would be feasible.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
We are owed a good amount of money, sometimes I'll even break it up into monthly payments and spread it out over a year. It's always that 10% that gives you a hard time.

It's not bad if you don't need it right away. Also, it's fixed revenue over a period of time. Which means pay the cell phone bill with it.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Honest work deserves honest pay.

You have the right and shouldn't have to hound and you shouldn't feel awkward asking for it!

If this become more of an issue, you need to figure out an angle to get your money.

If it is going public that so be it! Even if it is taking the loses and not dealing with this CO. in the future.

Business is hard and everyone is trying angles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I ended up with the lousy collect from delinquent accounts job title at a old job I had.........I hate to say this, but some people thrive on not paying their bills! You need to be firm, but polite and tell them you expect payment by a certain date. If you don't get the payment by that date then you make a SURPRISE visit! Just tell them you were in the area and thought you would stop by and pick up that check they promised you. If that doesn't work call the police or sheriff department where your client is and ask if there is anything they can do to help. Sometimes they have a record of these people doing this all the time. Interest works, too....but you will be lucky just to get the money they owe you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Always the same thing in business with about 3-5% of clients. I am usually pretty firm on whatever is written on the contract and politely say that I get paid when stated on contract. But things do happen.

What I would do is then at least break it up into two or three payments whereas he pay you one-third of half the amount immediately. I do not know the amounts or such but I think this is more than reasonable.

Or do what 3-crabs said which is a good idea have the checks post-dated if he agrees. Then at least you ahve yourself covered if he does try to stiff you and the checks bounce, you can threaten with legal action on your amount owed and the bounced checks. I know you do not always want to think these things but they are how you got to do business adn hopefully it will not go that far.

But I will tell you I have got into it pretty bad with about 3-4 clients on the payment tip. You pretty much have to follow your instincts because in business you will eventually get scammed out of money by someone it is just the way it is statistically. And if you think this is happening and you think you will not get paid then sometimes you have to be FIRM to ger your money. Been in business 5 years now, Only got stiffed by one person for a small portion, but about a dozen have tried. Out of those Dozen I got firm, by going directly to persons house or business to collect in person!

Hope you get paid worst thing in the world is when you get stiffed. And imo, when you do not get paid that person is STEALING from you and that is how I see it.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i feel they're stealing, too. what makes me most p'd is that the sponsor paid him already, and THAT'S where my money was suppossed to come from.

i sent a pretty nice letter to him, and in it i stated half at the end of next week and the rest the following. period.

i will keep you posted...then buying rounds of drinks if/when i can celebrate! lol!

GOD I HATE MEAN, DEGENERATE, NON-PAYING JERKOFF PEOPLE!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(rfdeiter @ May 29 2003, 09:48 AM)Pick your date, send a letter, follow up with a phone call, and if he doesn't pay call Tony and Geno...
...Or Campari.

I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 29 2003, 10:34 AM)Love the signature Campari!

If all else fails, make a few calls and sick "the goons" on 'em!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts