Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, can't take the sleepless hot nights anymore!!! My fan doesn't work on the external (1 year old Heil) airconditioner...

Don't want to pay a butt load of money for a service call, but would rather have somebody I know come look at for a smaller fee....

please, any help??

G

·
sure i'll find that beep for ya ....

just as long as bonus is not hyphenated!

bon-as..... <_<

and now for something completly different....

if your ca unit is only a year old call the company that put it in .
tell them you only got a year outta that p.o.s. & come and get it!

if they're at all respectable, they will be out to fix it a.s.a.p.
that is probabally a mfg. defect & should be under full warrenty ( parts & labour)
check your paperwork on that.

but always remember on the phone ... be nice

or they'll hang up on ya

you catch for fly's with honey than shhee- ite

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
There should be a outside breaker for the condenser....check and be sure it's not been tripped. Either there is no power or you do have a prob. Good luck and get it fixed asap, girl friend! We don't want you sweating.......

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
When I bought my condo, I asked for a good chunk of money to be knocked off because the a/c was disclosed as not working, and the windows were in bad shape.

Some $800 later, I have spankin new windows, and some $3 later, my A/C works awesome. Checked it out and found all that was wrong is a blown fuse off the condesor. Very relieved to find that! Symptom was that the compressor (outside unit) was not even coming on.

Get somebody to check the fuse for you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
In the same position with mine. Trying to get a fishing buddy over some evening to fix it who is in that business.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Pauligan, when you turn your air-conditioner on and your furnace runs but your outside air conditioner doesn't run then you have (2) 30 amp fuses in a box by your outside unit. Have someone check the fuses to see if one is blown out. If the fuses are okay, then you may have low freon and the compressor won't work.. Or, you have a low freon switch which is bad.... I found this out because our air conditioning unit broke this week also...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 26 2003, 11:54 AM)special bonus for beep finder outer.
what kind of special bonus , hehehe

i would stop over, but you need someone who has a continuity tester to test the fuse, if it looks like the big m-80 type, or if it is a visual check, your golden......

just sounds as if you are not getting power.
pm me your address....i will call my uncle see if he is available for a quick service call......it will be cooling off tonight....tomorrow

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody!!

Well, the guy I bought it from did it as a "side job" and he died a couple months ago...

(fan in outside unit not working) They are cylinders in the outside panel... I was poking around in there and saw the nytroglycerin containers combined with ***ENSURE NO POWER IS RUNNING TO THIS*** and of course I hadn't touched the circuit breakers in the basement and was poking around with a screwdriver... backed slowly away from the unit...

Will investigate the kryptonite soon...

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
The fuses that you are looking for are most likely outside, in a box on the wall next to your compressor. The fuses are a couple inches long and have the circumfrence of a penny.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 26 2003, 03:42 PM)I was poking around in there and saw the nytroglycerin containers combined with ***ENSURE NO POWER IS RUNNING TO THIS*** and of course I hadn't touched the circuit breakers in the basement and was poking around with a screwdriver... backed slowly away from the unit...

Toooo funny how "you women" view that stuff!

Thanks for the chuckle!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also be sure and check inside by the fuse box, there should a breakers or fuses inside for the AC unit. The outside fuses are for a service disconnect, but they could also be blown.

If you have circuit breakers turn them off then back on to insure they are set.

Since the fan won't come on, suspect it is a minor electrical problem.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Intruder @ Jun 26 2003, 04:17 PM)Also be sure and check inside by the fuse box, there should a breakers or fuses inside for the AC unit. The outside fuses are for a service disconnect, but they could also be blown.

If you have circuit breakers turn them off then back on to insure they are set.

Since the fan won't come on, suspect it is a minor electrical problem.
ditto!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Jun 26 2003, 03:07 PM)The fuses that you are looking for are most likely outside, in a box on the wall next to your compressor. The fuses are a couple inches long and have the circumfrence of a penny.
A CONTINUITY TESTER WILL TELL YOU IF THEY ARE BAD, OR TAKE ONE OUT, AGAIN, TURN UNIT OFF AT THE THERMOSTAT,..GO UP TO THE HARDWARE STORE, BUY
2 NEW ONES, THEY ARE CHEAP.. PUT THEM IN , BUT MAKE SURE UNIT IS STILL OFF WHEN YOU PUT THEM IN, OR IT WILL SCARE THE HE$$ OUTTA YOU, AND MAYBE SHOCK YA

IF THAT DOESN'T WORK.... HMMMM

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 26 2003, 03:42 PM)Thanks everybody!!

Well, the guy I bought it from did it as a "side job" and he died a couple months ago...

(fan in outside unit not working) They are cylinders in the outside panel... I was poking around in there and saw the nytroglycerin containers combined with ***ENSURE NO POWER IS RUNNING TO THIS*** and of course I hadn't touched the circuit breakers in the basement and was poking around with a screwdriver... backed slowly away from the unit...

Pauligan, don't fret. This sounds EXACTLY like the problem we had last summer. YES, the outside box with the copper colored, cylindrical fuses. There's only one way to tell, like Eddie said, and that's with a continuity tester. Big help, ya I know. We paid the $70 to have some fool come out, hold the tester to it and pop in a new one in less than 4 seconds.

Sooooo, unless you have a tester and know exactly how to use it, have one of the fine LSCN fellas that DO have a tester, come to your house, test it and tell you if you need to replace the $2ish part.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Pauligan - PM me your address - I have a test meter and some background in electrical stuff (EE Degree). I could come over Sunday (it's supposed to be pretty cool the next couple of nights). Let me know what ya want to do at JN. See ya tomorrow!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts