Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Maybe I am just wrong here but I've never run into this before:

Sunday morning I was fishing the middle of the lake about 2 miles south of the weather bouy.....I seen two guys in a row boat
messing around I thought they were fishing....turns out they were handling a big nets....

Anyway I am trolling along by myself and a rod goes off........sounds like a good one. WRONG!!!!!!!

I hooked these guys net....I was like 1/2 mile from them......broke off my lines with three of my best baits.....They yelled at me I got their net....

They told me they would give my baits back, but as soon as they were done loading their fish they jetted out of there.....I had
my gear out so I could not chase them down.....

I lost at least $50 worth of gear......

No bouys or anything marking those nets!!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
saturday 9/5 i saw two guys in a 20' steel boat with a mercury ob pulling nets behind bouy 28 american waters. I checked them with glasses no numbers on the hull. i radio'd on 9 if anyone knew what they were doing and had no reply. they went down near bouy 26 and were pulling nets there. i know the canadians can net in their waters but not sure of american waters.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Guys,

Everyone has a cell phone these days and even my crappy Nextel works in Canadian waters....

The RAP line is 800.292.7800

If you see something that truly looks wrong to you, call the RAP line!

We sit here and complain about catch and release bass season, and why we can't catch bass, and where did all of the perch go, and why did the walleyes quit biting, etc. It's all useless if we don't take proper action when we see stuff that doesn't look right.

Boats with no ID #s tending nets, nets with no buoys and guys that take off when confronted... I am just as upset that folks did not take IMMEDIATE action as to hear of this possible misuse of our fishery.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE(muskhunterjoe @ Sep 14 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes I do they are in my gps.....

Still pissed about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont blame you I would be PO....... TO. Could you lift the net up to get your lures back? Sounds like the Indians are at it again
.MNR will take care of that problem, I hope

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Sep 14 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys,

Everyone has a cell phone these days and even my crappy Nextel works in Canadian waters....

The RAP line is 800.292.7800

If you see something that truly looks wrong to you, call the RAP line!

We sit here and complain about catch and release bass season, and why we can't catch bass, and where did all of the perch go, and why did the walleyes quit biting, etc. It's all useless if we don't take proper action when we see stuff that doesn't look right.

Boats with no ID #s tending nets, nets with no buoys and guys that take off when confronted... I am just as upset that folks did not take IMMEDIATE action as to hear of this possible misuse of our fishery.

Yeah, what he said!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you happen to lose a bb with green and yellow crawler harness? If so I hooked it yesteday. Thought I had a bigun on the line. Then I thought I had crossed my wife's line but when the harness surfaced her line was still tight and straight down.

I'd be happy to return it to you if it is yours.

Tom

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Man I wish those guys would stick to netting pick up trucks full of egg laden walleye out of the Thames River, wait, they've already cleaned that out 15 years ago. Now they are trying to push our buttons out on the main lake just to see what our reaction will be.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Musky Gear-

Lost two golbys and a natral perch loke.

I did get 10 muskys saturday, lost 4.....two of which were 50's...one 30#, one 28#......saturday I had two before this happened
after could not keep a fish on, lost 4.......was way too pissed off....hahhahahahahahhahahhahaha

No pics, when your fishing by yourself its just too hard and bad for the fish......and I hate floor shots.

Three of my best baits!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wow, 10 muskies by yourself including the big fish! Great job! Bummer you lost some lures for sure. Kinda kills the joy doesn't it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
if people would stop eating local caught fish sold at restaurants and stores, there would be no demand for them. i only eat what i catch. with the state of the fish #'s in the great lakes, the GOVNMT needs to step up and put a moratorium on commercial fishing for awhile. sure people will lose their jobs, but look at the rest of the state. i'm sure the lakes from a recreational stand point versus commercial is way more important to the state.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry for your loss Joe. Great job on the fish!

All,

DRP said something about them waiting for our reaction to netting the lake; make sure it's a calm one.

Take this for what it's worth. Just something to keep in mind, you might not want to approach the net tenders with an attitude (especially by yourself). Several years ago friends of mine were where they weren't supposed to be and were being chased by 2 boats with gun brandishing natives trying to ram them. That incident comes to mind when I see net tending going on and I steer clear. I did hook a net once and was able to get all my gear back but I was looking over my shoulder the entire time I had the net up.

Moose

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Moose,

I was not really mad until they jetted off, if they would have come by and given my baits back or said sorry
we didn't find them I wouldn't be so pissed about it........

Its the whole point of them not being marked, not on the surface, and them jerking me around in the first place......

If I'd of known they would do that I would have stopped and dove down and got that net......

I trolled over the damn thing going downwave, it was when I turned around into the waves that it caught my gear....
so I'd say i was running 6-10 feet deep......in 20 foot of water, net had to be 10 or more down with no way of seeing it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.