Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just downloaded Netscape Navigator and am using it now. MUCH BETTER, at least for this site. I was having problems with pictures, on the threads with pics only 2 or 3 pics would appear and then the others would not show, and this happened with avatars sometimes also. With Netscape everything is showing up, all pictures etc.

What does everyone else use?

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
In my business, we call this browser wars. And we are just waiting for Netscape to fall off the face of the earth.

Trying to make sites look good in both browsers is a pain!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'll stick with IE. I have used both extensively, as well as others. I have also had to develop to look good with all the browers and like Mike said, it's a pain in the a$$.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
At the office we use Netscape .. Not my choice.. At home I use IE and it works great except that my modem only hooks up at 26,600 or 28,800.. Very slow... I need to look into SBC and their cable...

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Aug 8 2003, 11:47 AM)In my business, we call this browser wars. And we are just waiting for Netscape to fall off the face of the earth.

Trying to make sites look good in both browsers is a pain!
Ditto Capt'n Mike!! Netscape is a web developers worst nightmare.

That's odd to Deuce because at college I have the hardest time pulling up this site - and the school used Netscape Communicator.

HATE NETSCAPE - I wish it would fall of the face of the earth too! <_<

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Agreed, Shannon. Eddies uses Nutscrape at the office and complaied about a problem with the site there. I haven't pursued it, because I'd contantly be going back and forth, trying to get it to look acceptable in both browsers.

Instead, we highly suggest that you use Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater, at a resolution of 1024x768 when viewing this site!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i downloaded the lasted patches for IE6.0 and it seems to be working better, we shall see

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've always prefered IE. I am using an IE addon called MyIE2. It has tabbed browsing and lots of other features built in. it is built off the IE core so its essentially IE.

I've never particularly cared for "Nutscrape"

·
Registered
73 Posts
Spacelord...

Would you have an URL handy for MyIE2?

I did a Google search but didn't come up with anything.

Like most of you, I don't care for Netscape either, though on *nix I do enjoy Mozilla 1.4 with the Diggler, Googlebar, and Mycroft add-ons from Mozdev.org. It also has a decent download manager built-in. With IE I prefer GetRight as a download manager, though after broadband finally became available here, resuming failed downloads is less an issue. For segmented downloads of really big stuff, like Linux iso images, it beats a single stream.

Tabbed browsing is one thing I miss in IE.

The only thing missing from IE6 is gopher support. Initially this worked well, but after a security issue surfaced, it was removed rather than repaired. IE won't give you any indication that the protocol is disabled, just a page not found error.

Yeah, I know it is old, though that's how we used to surf the web. It is extremely fast, on the order of tens of thousands of times faster than modern bloated HTML laden pages. The main reason for my renewed interest is that of late there has been a resurgence in gopher server activity, especially small private networks of friends, for sharing of files of all kinds. It handles any format you can think of, and is relatively free of worries from the issues of collaborative and other mutual sharing these days. The University of Minnesota recently placed the technology into the GPL, and development an a small scale has begun again.

I can't say that the developers hope for a lot of attention. That would defeat the stealth purpose of the thing, but there is activity again.

Mozilla 1.4 works on gopher, if anyone should ever need to view pages using that protocol.

You may quit laughing now.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The Link for MyIE2 is:

MyIE2 Homepage

it takes a little getting used to but the tabbed browsing rules... and I can always run regular IE6 if I want.

another very cool feature of MyIE2 is groups of pages. for example I could make a group of news pages so I open my group and it will open CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, and Detroit news all at once.. in their own tab.

I had some probs running Google Toolbar in MyIE2 though. seemed unstable.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
the Beta Version. it worked, or appeared to, but I got lots of weird errors after putting it in.

it works great in plain IE6 though. I just downloaded the latest release of MyIE2 (0.8.220) and will probably try it out again.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
"Tabbed browsing" is the best!
I used a program called boradband which uses the IE core also, and I love it. I don't think it is available any longer on the web though.

I want to try Opera out, to see how this site supports it, but I havne't had a chance. Has anybody used that?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(Distant_Horizon @ Aug 9 2003, 08:49 AM)You may quit laughing now.

You sound as much into puters as i am into animals!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts