Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new boat for fishing last week. Was out Saturday and Sunday last week and caught one 20" walleye, trolling crawler harnesses in front of the Tin Fish (the old Surf North) in Fair Haven.
I hear the hot spot now is between Metro Beach and Gino's, even upwards of the 11 mile area and I am heading out there tomorrow afternoon/evening.
I was trolling with my outboard (115hp Merc) as low as it would go, but I think it trolls too fast.
Will drifting for Walleye bring any luck or is that too slow? Also, I was trolling in about 10ft of water, with a medium sized spilt shot on my line. Do you need to use something like a pencil sinker rigged with your harness above it to drift your harness near the bottom for better success?
Sorry for the simple questions but I am greener than the grass when it comes to fishing !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most guys that fish in front of Ginos are going to be using bottom bouncers or weed walkers. They are the same thing, just different names. Drifting usually isnt as effective as trolling out on the lake. If you wanted to use teh pencil sinker yoiu can by setting of a three way. This is how most people fish on the canadian side. As far as going too fast, most people like to troll just fast enough so the blades spin. If you dont have a smaller motor to go slow enough, you can always throw seabags off teh side fo your boat. If you are like me and you dont want to spend the money on them, use five gallon buckets tied to a rope off the side cleats of your boat. The resistance should slow you down enough. Good Luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey bripow here to try to help......if i feel i am moving to fast when i troll i use a drift sock on my front cleats and leave the motor run at a idol,,,,,,,,,,,i also do not have a kicker...........if you have a decent wind or some chopp try using bottom bouncers with a 3-4 foot crawler harnes on it set your line so its up on a 45 Degree angle just so the bouncer is ticking of the bottom this will hold the harnes a good 8 to 12 inches of the bottom and just drift and relax good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll echo sweatyspartans thoughts about drifting...at least yesterday. Was out yesterday (Thursday) and there was a good chop on the water. We drifted, pulling harnesses behind inline sinkers. We stunk it up!!! All we got were bass, perch, and a crappie. To add insult to injury, the boat that pulled into the dock next to us at the end of the evening told us they got 5 Walleye pulling harnesses on bottom bouncers. Man did we feel like losers.

I have some questions for you more knowledgeable walleye guys... What weight of bottom bouncers is best this time of year? Are there more than one type? Is the length of the harness critical? All my harnesses are in the 24 inch range. Do I need to tie up longer ones in order to do well?

·
Registered
111 Posts
depending on the drift of your boat Fast or slow depends on the size of bo

ttom bouncer fast drift means heavier bouncer ( to get her down with line at a 45 ) slower drifts mean a lighter bouncer......i have had good success with longer harnes's just my take on it..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts