Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin for information on Pro Craft boats.Can you tell me the performance of this boat compared to a ranger or triton.This boat I am lookin at is a year old,250hp engine,probably 21ft.The price seems great but I only have a pic.Engine alone must be most of the cost.I don't have a lot of info yet.What boat would have the deep v hull for the rough waters here.I know a ranger you pay a lot for the name.Any info would be great.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Remember the caveat that you get what you pay for.

If you want to know more about how bass boats are built and maybe get some more ideas about what to look for or ask about, you might want to check out my thread here about building bass boats.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dave, I have a friend that has a ProCraft, and has had nothing but problems with it. Anything from the simple, sticker coming off the side, to the major, trolling motor burning up and the on board charger frying itself. As far as Tritons go... I have one and LOVE it. Would not trade it for any other boat made anywhere. My fishing partner has one also and he feels the same way I do. I have never heard anyone knock a Triton that has one. I do agree with Dan, you certainly do get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Other than the sticker, it sounds like the problems werent with the boat. Pro Craft makes a nice boat, I have never owned one, but I did have an Astro that I really liked.

Mini

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have been running a 1997 Astro 1850 DCX and I love it. It is a great fishing platform, stable and roomy for a boat that measures 18'11". Procrafts have one of the biggest rear decks you can find. My wife loves it for sunbathing (sleeping). The ride in rough water is better than most, but of course it depends how you drive it. It has handled everything I've thrown at it and always has gotten me back to the weigh in on time. My boat still runs around 63mph (GPS) with a full two man tournament load and 44 gallons of gas with the right condtions. And I only have a 150 EFI Mercury on the transom! (The go-fast stepped hull on the 1997 "X" boats is awsome) After six hard years tournament fishing big water from St. Clair and Erie' to Lake Ontario and Champlain in the Everstart Series the only "problem" I've evidenced is stress cracks on the cap. My boat has handled six to eight footers more times than I'd like to admit to my wife, not to mention the weekend "square waves" we see on St. Clair. Talk to a good fiberglass tech and he'll tell you that ALL bass boats will experience stress cracking on the cap running in these conditions. Bar none. They will tell you however that Ranger seems to be the most resistant to stress cracks. I have of course broken various things in my boat over the years, but under these conditions they are not unexpected. The important thing is that the hull seems able to handle just about anything. I had a tuna boat lift me up and set me down on a piling in the St. Clair river a couple of years ago, ran sixty miles back to the ramp in Erie and only had some gel coat to repair. Lucky? Maybe. Strong hull? Most definitely.

In response to oohfoo's comment, on-board chargers, trolling motors and other add ons are not a problem with the boat. You can burn up trolling motors just as easy on a Triton or Ranger. Ditto on-board chargers. With most boats rigging and prep cause most of the "problems". Alot of boats will experience electrical problems which will shake out the first few times in rough water conditions. ( I had a few when new) Mostly you will find the problem is in the splices or electrical connectors. These same connectors are used pretty much across the industry. A good shake down cruise and good maintenance is the best prevention.

I know guys who have blown up power heads on both Evinrudes and Merc's, must be because they are hanging on the back of Tritons. (sarcasm)

I could go on, but wouldn't want to compete with Mr. Kimmel.

I am familiar with the Procraft you mentioned, (rode in Shaw Grigsby's a few times) email me if you want additional detail on my Procraft/Astro exeriences.

Regards,

Dave

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
If you're interested in a deep-v, check out the new 21ft. Tundra by Tracker. They also make the Procraft's.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
So true Dave...I had a 96 205DCX w/225 EFI. I really liked the boat alot. The only think I did have problems with was the fuses for the trolling motor. I switched to circuit breakers and heavier guage wire that connected them and was all set. I did have a manufacturers defect in the stringer system. Asto/ProCraft stood behind their product and built me a new boat in 98 and it was flawless. I hated to sell her, but Bass Pro came to town and I moved up into a 911. THAT boat is a rough water machine....

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Don't let me hold you back Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Geesh!... didn't mean to step on any toes fella's. But to me, if you buy a new boat, then everything attached to it is part of it. Whether it be a Procraft, Triton, Stratos or whatever. If something breaks you don't take it back to whomever made that specific item do ya? No, you take it to the Dealer that sold you the entire boat (if it's still under warranty that is). I meant nothing bad about Procrafts. Now Ranger on the other hand... just kidding.

·
Registered
320 Posts
oohfoopadoo,

You didn't step on anyones toes. I just added clarification. Burning up a trolling motor or on board charger doesn't reflect on the quality of the boat unless it was due to poor factory design, substandard wiring or shoddy factory prep. These trolling motors and chargers are installed on all boat brands. Buy the best chargers, trolling motors and peripheral devices for your application that you can afford. This will give you the best overall package.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
320 Posts
One more thing. Get a good dealership who will stand behind the product and fix whatever goes wrong. If you find one that does that, gives the proper attention to your problems and treats you with the respect you deserve as a customer. Support them. They are worth their weight in gold.

Dave

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Dave,
Thanks.
Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dave, in 2000 I purchased a new Triton TR-186 and ran it for two years on the big water before upgrading to a TR-22 last year. Triton is the only boat that I've owned and never had the chance to ride in any others. If you're looking for pure speed I would check into all different mfgs. and take the time to checkout how the boat's made. Dealer's also very important, there's nothing like needing something fixed a week before a tournament and your dealer says no problem to fix it! If you have some boats in mind you can post them here and maybe some of us guys would be willing to take you for a ride. Good luck.

Smallie2

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey smallie 2 that's the #1 question in my mind.If I could take the boat out & see how everything works then there would be no questions at all.Problem is you buy it then you take it out.It's mine now,just have to sign on the dotted line.I think the only question I really have is how much gas would I use when I take the boat out.I know the motor alone here in Windsor is 30K Canadian & there are only a few in this country.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts