Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a cottage in Leamington Ont. He just called me saying he ehard on the radio that Canada has lowered the legal Blood Alcohol Level to 0.00

Meaning you can't have 1 drink and drive.

I would assume that this applies on the water as well!!

Can any of our Canadian friends confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hmm, I live here and read the papers and listen to the radio and I have heard no mention of any legistlation to do something like this. I think it's a rumour, or I hope it's a rumour!

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Jul 8 2003, 04:07 PM)Hmm, I live here and read the papers and listen to the radio and I have heard no mention of any legistlation to do something like this. I think it's a rumour, or I hope it's a rumour!

appreciate looking inti this for us milord !

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Jul 8 2003, 04:07 PM)Hmm, I live here and read the papers and listen to the radio and I have heard no mention of any legistlation to do something like this. I think it's a rumour, or I hope it's a rumour!

You would be in big trouble Milord if this would actually pass

G

·
I love Canada. I have a lot of friends over there. But, I still refuse to go in Canadian waters. Just last week I talked to a fellow boater who got stopped in Canadian water. They gave him a ticket for having an open bottle of wine. $125.00 bucks!
BAM

That's a hit to the wallet.

It's a shame too. It would make Lake St. Clair so much bigger to me.

I do plan on going to Cove Marina someday though. I hear it is awesome. Just won't have any alchohol on the boat. That will be a rare moment!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
what happens if your caught drinking on boat ? in canada? do you have to pay fine on the spot ? does it go on your driver lic? since its different country? was told by some one not sure if its correct or not but island next to gull is half canada , and if you walk down to a certain point you will get a ticket. is this true ?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Man! It's not like the good old days. 5 of us went over to the bars once years ago. As were were leaving, my friend driving pulled out going the wrong way on a one-way street. Cops pulled him over, gave him the breathalizer, and he failed. They were going to impound his car and we were going to have to stay in Canada for the night.

One of the guys with us had only had 2 beers the entire night. He asked the cops that if he took the breathalizer test and passed, if he could have the keys and drive us home. He passed and they gave him the keys.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Jul 9 2003, 07:42 AM)I love Canada. I have a lot of friends over there. But, I still refuse to go in Canadian waters. Just last week I talked to a fellow boater who got stopped in Canadian water. They gave him a ticket for having an open bottle of wine. $125.00 bucks!
BAM

That's a hit to the wallet.

It's a shame too. It would make Lake St. Clair so much bigger to me.

I do plan on going to Cove Marina someday though. I hear it is awesome. Just won't have any alchohol on the boat. That will be a rare moment!

My guess is he was moving. No drinking while the boat is moving. Pretty much reads you better be anchored or docked.

·
12,052 Posts
We were floating out on the lake at Leamington last year on the dinghys when the OPP pulled up and gave me a $215. ticket for beers in a small cooler on the boat.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hammer - as another token Canadian on the board
(we have to give Milord a break) I can report that the blood alcohol content for impaired driving is still 0.08% (or 80 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood) which I think is the same as Michigan's.

What your dad may have heard, is that there are two charges for impaired driving in Canada - one is Impaired Driving (quite originally named, eh?) and the other is with a blood alcohol content greater than 0.08%. Reference online may be found here: http://canada.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/voc/imp_driv.html

As of June we have basically doubled fines and sentences for initial and repeat impaired offences in Canada.

Basically for impaired driving, the Court can find a determination of guilt for impairment for any reason - not enough sleep, hopped up on anti-histamines, etc. The BAC charge is specifically for alcohol-related impaired driving. Usually you are charged with both when you get picked up for impaired. At the same time, MADD (Mothers against Drunk Driving) is trying to lower BAC to 0.05% for a Criminal Code conviction.

Hammer - you also mention about getting boned for 215$ for having open liquor on dingy. In Ontario (and Ontario waters), if your boat does not qualify as a residence (berthing, bathroom, and galley must be on board) you cannot have any liquor (beer, wine, spirits) on board period.

If your boat can qualify as a residence, then in order to legally have open liquor for either you OR your passengers you must be anchored for the night.

Hope this helps -
Scott.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 9 2003, 09:52 PM)We were floating out on the lake at Leamington last year on the dinghys when the OPP pulled up and gave me a $215. ticket for beers in a small cooler on the boat.
was at belle river for the sunsplash festival.....
friends left harbor to fish with kids 4 kids 3 adults.
on a 21' chris. he did not claim beer because he had none
on his boat when he arrived, but when he went fishing the adults brought a case, and opp pulled up within 5 minutes, gave adults tickets for beer on boat, for not being claimed and such....
can't remember $$$$ amount but thinking was around $350 canadian at the time (1997)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Scott said it all there.

Now, knock on wood. I have never been harrassed for having alcohol on board my boat. I don't have a galley, but always have a cooler of beer on board. If you are not being a jackass, your probably won't get pulled over. As a matter of fact I haven't even seen a police boat near Lighthouse Cove this summer. Last summer I think I saw them once. I have spoken with the OPP at a local anchorage ... we were standing in the water drinking and had a bunch of empties on the swim platform of a friends boat. The OPP said does that have a head, galley, sink, etc? When we answered no, he said we should move the empties to a boat that does to avoid any hassle. We did that and it was the end of it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Before 9/11, one of my favorite places on the lake was the cut on Seaway across from the Old Club. Very peaceful and shaded in the morning. This is my 35th season on the lake so I couldn't tell you how many times or when it happened but have had numerous occasions where the OPs came through, we were drinking on the boat, and they did nothing. One time I specifically remember raising my beer to them as they went by and they just smiled. On that occasion I realized we were drinking Brador's we had brought back from Tobermory and for an instant thought that might be a problem. They just waved and smiled and continued on there way. For those of you that remember the Hole in the Wall on the east side of Seaway (Very popular anchorage and as wild or wilder than the Moot in the late eighties) it was Canadian waters and they never bothered anyone. the only time I recall seeing trouble is when three guys in Hawaian shirts were crusing around in an infaltable and a guy anchored about fifty feet from offered them a hit on the joint he was smoking on his swim deck. Shades of Miami Vice, they were undercover OPP. They cruised over, put him under arrest, took him away and about two hours later another boat showed up and took his boat away. Now that was just plain stupid in my book. My point is, is that I think it depends on the individual officer you encounter, his mood and the circumstances. If you're looking for trouble, chances are good you'll find it. When the law is around (Canada or US) it's best to be discrete.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
We used to go back there years ago (early 80's)before we even had a boat.......Wasn't it cool? After we bought our Searay we would go back there once in awhile...It was great to sit back, drink beer while the freighters went by.....Some guy had his boat to close to the beach one day.......needless to say he was sitting on his side for a bit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts