Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well I just could not go to Gander Mountain with out stopping by the gun stuff and checking whats New. After 30 min of browsing I started to think of my gun and how much i don't like my scope so I thought i would just look and see whats new in the scope world. WOW! is all i can say about the scopes today. Scopes have come a long way in the past five or so years and same with the price tags.

So I started looking at all of them and i would half to say not much deferents between the scope makers except one that got my attention from Nikon it was a Buck-master edition 4.5-14X40 and the lenses on Nikon lines of scopes are so clean and bright the scopes from Nikon are "Unbelievable" on the lens quality. Now i went back and forth from all the big names and i ended up comparing every thing to the Nikon's and then i ended up eliminating every thing but Nikon's comparing side by side back and forth for about 45 min. Now i could see my sales person starting to get a WTF attitude about the time it was taking me to look at all of them so i was starting to feel bad that i was not going to purchase one today but then I figured what the hell and I told him to rap the buckmaster up and for being such a good sport over this show me the bore site kits so he did and i got one of them also. After all 45min is a long time and he probably lost out on some sales taking care of me, but thats his job.

So my old Simmons Deer-field scope will be going on my other gun for the kids, it was a good scope for what it was but its time to move on.

I mounted it tonight and used the new bore site kit to get it ready for a trip to the range this next week. Cant wait I've wonted a new scope for 4 years, Now i just got to tell my wife

·
Registered
618 Posts
The wife prob wont be to happy but hey it happens did you get a BDC reticle ? most are good out to 600 yards or you gona follow the 1 inch high at 100 yards rule

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Love my Nikon. It's mounted on my Tika 30.06

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
QUOTE(flippin_stick @ Oct 18 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The wife prob wont be to happy but hey it happens did you get a BDC reticle ? most are good out to 600 yards or you gona follow the 1 inch high at 100 yards rule

O! I fell in love with the BDC& side focus and cant wait to get it setup- I'm just wondering if I'm going to see a large difference between the 220Gr compared to the 180Gr bullets.

I bought my gun with the Simmons on it as a package deal. Never had a problem with it but that BDC looks like it would be a great help when I get every thing set up.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

I'm sure you'll be able to go with a red dot for about $80 to $120.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

sweet!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

sweet!

Are both pistols?

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

sweet!

Are both pistols?

Both single action revolvers, so yes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

sweet!

Are both pistols?

Both single action revolvers, so yes.

Check out bsaoptics.com they have 5 or 6 scopes for hand guns around $100, I have a BSA sweet 17 & a sweet 22 on my guns and they are nice for the $$$$ cant go wrong.
they have one for $59 i think would be fine for a 22 and one for $130 for your 357.
Simmons has a bunch also for about the same.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If your going to be plinking with your guns, those cheap scopes will be fine. If you plan on hunting with them, you're far better off spending the money and buying quality optics. Years ago while on a caribou hunt, I had taken a gun along with a low to medium quality scope on it. I also had a low to medium quality pair of binoculars. Both fogged up the first day. When I got home the junk scope was replaced with a Leopold. Leopold scopes are all that I now buy. I never had a problem with any of them. Nikon is great stuff too. I have a pair of Nikon Monarch binoculars that are crystal clear. As good as you'll get without going to Steiner or Swarovski.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
QUOTE(Toothy Grin @ Oct 19 2008, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your going to be plinking with your guns, those cheap scopes will be fine. If you plan on hunting with them, you're far better off spending the money and buying quality optics. Years ago while on a caribou hunt, I had taken a gun along with a low to medium quality scope on it. I also had a low to medium quality pair of binoculars. Both fogged up the first day. When I got home the junk scope was replaced with a Leopold. Leopold scopes are all that I now buy. I never had a problem with any of them. Nikon is great stuff too. I have a pair of Nikon Monarch binoculars that are crystal clear. As good as you'll get without going to Steiner or Swarovski.

I agree 100% I have a Leopold and after 100's of rounds each have never had to touch them and never had a fog issue.
I also have a Burris scope that has held it's zero for 100's of rounds and about 16 years of hunting and has never fogged up.
Now the Simmons would fog on the outer side of the lens but if you keep your lenses clean you will have no problem after you use a anti fog wipe on it.

A big tip is to keep the lenses clean at all times the fog needs something to bond to.
so the cleaner the lens is the less fogging and for god sakes use an anti fog wipe on your scope before to enter the cold.

·
Registered
618 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

sweet!

Hey Chefnutz I have a almost new tasco red dot I would sell ya for 40.00 if your interested it has 11 diffrent light settings and will handle up to a 357mag without messing anything up.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(flippin_stick @ Oct 20 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(BillBuster @ Oct 18 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Oct 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, since we are talking scopes, I would like to mount one on my ruger .357 and .22mag. I don't want to spend $250 though. any idea's??

sweet!

Hey Chefnutz I have a almost new tasco red dot I would sell ya for 40.00 if your interested it has 11 diffrent light settings and will handle up to a 357mag without messing anything up.

Give me a week or so I will get back with ya

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using UTG 4-16X50 1" Hunter Scope and the scope is water sealed and filled with nitrogen which makes the lens shock, fog, and waterproof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts