Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last weekend we gased up and headed out for an overnight stay on the lake. The perfect weekend! Fathers Day weekend and all. Things were fine until we got up on plane. The tach, volt meter, and engine began to be spuratic. Then nothing. Anchored the boat took off the engine covers. Visually nothing. Four great friends of ours (2 boats) came to help tow us back. Amazingly towed right to our well without a hitch. The engine would not turn over. The starter wanted to go but the rest did not. The next day removed all sparkplugs and tried turning over engine and water came out of three cylinders. Water locked. A shop looked at it and said that the water pump impellers are gone, the engine overheated, one of the exhuast bellows is gone, maybe a bent rod or two, only able to get 5 cylinders to run, and you are going to need a new engine.
Talked with friends that have been in the boating thing for a long time, even business wise, and they think that it is a blown head gasket, maybe a bent rod or two, and possible/doubtful cracked cyl.
Anyone for any ideas??????

·
12,052 Posts
I doubt its a head gasket. That small amount of water would blow out the exhaust and not fill the cylinder. If the water pump impellers are gone where did the water come from? Did it get real hot before quitting? Your alarms all work?

I always used Dynamic Speed and Marine for motor work. The best around and legit.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Sorry to here about your engine troubles.

Was this your first time out for the season or was it running ok at the start of the season?

1. Hydraulically locking an engine at anything over idle speed almost always bends the rod of the wet cylinders.
2. Even a slightly bend rod (not always visible to the eye) will cause excess engine wear and decreased performance if not corrected.
3. The only real way to check a rod is to remove it from the block then remove the piston and send it out to be checked. Might as well check all of them while you are at it.
4. It is possible to remove a rod from the block wile it is still in a car. However it is a major pain. I bet it is near imposable in most boats.

I would start looking for a good mechanic to pull the engine and rebuild it. Or replace it with a rebuilt one. Make sure your mechanic knows for sure where the water came from or your new engine will be scrap in short order. Do not settle for "It looks like the head gasket blew". Get a definite answer and get it in writing. If your exhaust has problems it can cause water to back up into the engine when the exhaust valve opens. If your intake gasket is bad between the water and intake ports you will get water in the cylinder. Or you have a cracked head or block from improper winterization or severe over heating.

Make sure you go to a shop that will warrantee their work.

I'm sure some others on this board can recommend a good mechanic. How about it guys?

Good luck!!
Welcome to the board!!!
Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. So far no work has been done. MONEY of course. We will find a way to get back out on the lake.

·
12,052 Posts
Already have...Dynamic Speed. 586-949-5990. Maybe a future sponser.

·
Registered
530 Posts
not sure if you might be interested but im putting a new motor in my boat-just need to go faster. ill be taking out a 260hp merc 350 magnum i honestly dont know how many hrs are on it as there is no hr meter on the boat but it has ran good for me for the last two years if youre interested just email me or call 586 445 2324

1 - 6 of 6 Posts