Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after seeing some posts of bucktails like this I decided to try making one for myself. I think it turned out good. I was going for a natural color patern. I will see how this one performs tomorrow before I make more of them.

Automotive tail & brake light Vision care Automotive lighting Hood Bait

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 27 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great looking tail Alex! Hows those clevises(?) working out for you?

Well with the first design I was loosing a few blades here and there. I have resolved the issue but a redesign was needed. The new design is still in test but results are looking promising since I have not lost 1 blade yet. They are still not the easiest thing to make but they do seem to be working better.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(AlexG @ Jul 27 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(RICKJAMES @ Jul 27 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great looking tail Alex! Hows those clevises(?) working out for you?

Well with the first design I was loosing a few blades here and there. I have resolved the issue but a redesign was needed. The new design is still in test but results are looking promising since I have not lost 1 blade yet. They are still not the easiest thing to make but they do seem to be working better.

Let me & Todd test them for you.
Since we lost 2 of your blades on the old design that makes us the perfect testors.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
nice

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Are there any local places that sell materials to tie bucktails? As far as the maribou, hackle, and deer hair are concerned, i have lots, i am more looking for the wire, and brass beeds and bodies.

That buck looks like it will have awesome action in the water, maribou is a great material for natural motion...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey alex what do you use to tie your material to your wire....one guy suggested trottle cable cassing what do you suggest?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(BCBpIV @ Jul 28 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are there any local places that sell materials to tie bucktails? As far as the maribou, hackle, and deer hair are concerned, i have lots, i am more looking for the wire, and brass beeds and bodies.

That buck looks like it will have awesome action in the water, maribou is a great material for natural motion...

Here is what I use for wire .051. http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=prod...etail&p=874
There is also .062 if you need something really heavy duty. I used to buy coils of wire but having the straight wire makes it a lot easier. As for brass beeds I also get them from this site. All of my colored beeds I buy from Michaels craft store.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 28 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey alex what do you use to tie your material to your wire....one guy suggested trottle cable cassing what do you suggest?

I have heard of that and I here you can buy it wieghted. As long as its tied tight it will hold to almost anything. Honestly I have tied direct to hooks and directly to the wire in the past. Right now I am tieing directly to lead carolina slider wieghts. You can also tie to small diameter aluminum tubing. As for head cement I have used a few and by far http://www.loonoutdoors.com/products/WBheadcementsystem.html this is the best I have used. It is very thin and will absorb through thread instead of sitting on top if it. When its dry it does not even look like there is any head cement on it but it has held up to several muskies. It is expensive head cement but its worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
You can get coils and can get weighted coils. I prefer to go straight to the shaft.

As far as head cement, stop wasting your money on "head cement." Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails at Wal-Mart. Less than half the price. Most professional fly tiers use it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.