Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Lake Chenung the pst few nights after dinner and did pretty well. I figured it would be pretty busy considering the location but asaide from too many skier's, etc, Ionly saw one other fisherman.
I got quite a few fish for 2 hours of fishing and couple were 3lbs+.
Nice part is it is close to home.

Greg

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you mean "Chemung", it is a nice lake and clear water. I also fished Woodland alot a few years ago, well 10 years ago, WOW I'm getting old. Back to the subject.... When I first fished Woodland, I thought I was in heaven. With two of us, we caught 38 LM bass in about 7hrs and the smallest one was 2#s on a digital scale. The average fish was well over 3#s. That was our best day out there, but most times were not far from that until the LM virus hit. I couldn't understand why 4-5 years later we were catching only 6-10 bass total and the average size was only 13-14"s. I found out later that the virus was found around that time. Now, I haven't fished there in 4-5 years. You might try that lake as well. I have heard a lot of good lakes do recover. Its a good musky lake too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Woodland Lake is not as good as it used to be, The DNR over sprayed it last year and blamed it on Large mouth bass disease. The only thing is the bluegills died too and I never heard of bluegill disease.

Chemung is a better lake than woodland now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to fish Woodland alot until the fish kill/die off occured.
I haven't been back but once or twice. Does anybody really know what happened on Woodland? If there was an over spray, what were they spraying for? Has there been a survey since then?

Greg

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Did anyone call the MDNR after the occurrence? I talked to a biologist shortly after who said it didn't make sense that it was LMBV since that doesn't kill anything but largemouth bass and a number of bluegills died at the same time.

LMBV often only kills a small percentage of adults, so many lakes have recovered pretty quick. The MDNR was in the process of checking the fish when I last talked to them and I never heard anything definitive from their side of the story although a I saw a mention later that said the bass died from LMBV. Doesn't explain the panfish though?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was in Houghton Lake a couple of weeks ago. I caught 50 fish one day and 54 the next. We fish for pike mostly and all but a few each day were pike. Nothing huge (the biggest being 26" but... sometimes you take quantity over quality)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts