Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about a new form needed to enter Canadian waters? I was listening to Bob’s show on Saturday and some one said that there was a new form being required by the Canadians! No this is not the I-68; it’s something that the Canadians want us to have. Not trying to start a rumor or anything just trying to stay ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Isn't there a form for Canada similar to the I-68 called the Can-Pass. I've heard of it but don't know much more about it. Anyone else?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Canpass is to cross the bridge.To land on Canadian soil you must report to customs first.That is if you drop anchor & hit bottom you are on Canadian soil.Same with Canadians in US watersl.I have read on other boards on the Canadian side tickets are being handed out.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Dont forget you are not allowed to have beer/alcohol in your boat with out a head and a holding tank. I have heard its a $500.00 (CAN) fine PER beer.

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If you aren't absolutely sure what you're posting is true when dealing with heavy fines and possibly even jailable offenses, post that you aren't sure. I hope most guys realize that very few of us really know the laws and regulations. This border crossing issue is so confused because guys keep posting contradictory information from many sources...and we all know that you can get as many stories on I-68 and CANPASS as persons you ask.

I talked to Canadian Customs in Ottawa last year about this. I have NOT looked back into this issue this year, but here is what Canada Customs told me last year: the CANPASS is for boaters who will land in Canada (touch shore, anchor in Canadian waters, moor at a Canadian marina/dock) or for those who will enter Canada at remote areas instead of ports of entry (RABC permit only in specific areas). All CANPASS does for you is make it more convenient to report your entry into Canada by boat or at a remote location from the US (if RABC).

If you have the CANPASS, you can call Canadian Customs up to 4 hours before your arrival and get approval to enter Canada. This means you should not have to go to a CAN Customs office or wait for a Customs officer to show up. You just call 1-888-CAN-PASS. They may send an officer anyway, but if you get the clearance number and no officer is present, you can go on your merry way.

If you don't intend to land in Canada, you don't need anything to just boat in Canadian waters. Make sure you have a full gas tank and know other Canadian requirements. If you cross by bridge into Canada, you still need to check in with Customs at a port of entry other than a few special exceptions that don't apply to us boaters in 99% of the situations.

From: http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/individ...faq_boat-e.html
"Q5. I live in New Brunswick, and I have just heard of the CANPASS Private Boats program. What advantages would I obtain as a boater if I were to join?

A5. CANPASS Private Boats participants may call customs up to four hours before arriving in Canada instead of when they dock. They may make their declaration, provide their estimated time of arrival to the customs inspector, and obtain a clearance number. If there is no customs or immigration officer at the landing site to meet them at their reported time of arrival, they are free to proceed to their final destination. There are additional CANPASS only docking sites available exclusively to program participants, some of which may be more convenient than any non-CANPASS site."

"Q6. I am a CANPASS Private Boats participant, but my boss was just temporarily transferred here a month ago from our company's offices in England. He is not in the program. Can he join? Or can he sail with me on my permit until he is eligible?

A6. Unfortunately the answer is no to both questions. CANPASS programs are available only to citizens and permanent residents of Canada and the US. Until he falls into one of those categories, your boss will not qualify for membership. All travellers on any boat using the CANPASS program to enter Canada must be enrolled in the program. If your boss or any other non-CANPASS person is travelling with you on your boat, you may not use your CANPASS privileges."

"Q5. I live in Southern Ontario, and do a lot of boating around the Great Lakes in the summer. At almost every dock and marina I go to, I keep hearing that things are going to "tighten up" customs-wise, and that there will be fewer and fewer places where I'll be able to land when returning from the United States, particularly since I'm not a CANPASS member.

A5. Not many changes are contemplated for this boating season. However, an exhaustive site review will be completed during this current boating season, as a result, it is possible that some docking locations may no longer be authorized for customs reporting or may be available only to CANPASS participants in future. You should continue to monitor the CCRA website or call 1-888-CANPASS for information this subject."

From: http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/individ..._program-e.html
"Q1. I heard that the CANPASS programs for small boats and private airplanes were coming back, and I was looking on the Internet for information. I found an application form that showed the fee for one of these programs as $100 per applicant. I looked again, and it was gone! Are the fees for CANPASS going up? When and by how much?

A1. The application form you saw on the Internet showing a fee of $100 was posted in error. However, since the September 11 incidents in the United States, all CANPASS programs have been extensively reviewed, including an analysis of the costs associated with processing applications and conducting security checks. There is no doubt that a fee increase will be required, and while no final decision has yet been made, the amount of $50 individual participant in both the Private Air and Private Boats programs has been proposed. It is anticipated that these new processing fees could take effect in September 2002."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts