Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically, when I fish a frog I pretty much put it in motion as soon as it hits the water (or grass.) Today I got a real good reminder that sometimes it pays off to slow down and do nothing.
Right as I made a cast with a frog my trolling motor got caught up (in the grass) and I turned my attention to getting it free. Of course this left the frog to just sink on its on. And needless to say after it had sat on the bottom for a bit the pickup came. I reeled in the slack and set the hook on a 3 lb bass. Tried the same technique and caught 2 more on the dead stick frog as opposed to 4 on a moving frog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How long have you been fishing? Hard to believe you've just discovered slowing down the retrieve to give them a different presentation. However you could be another one of those stuck in high speed KVD mode that never take the time to slow down and pick off a few extra fish. Looks like getting stuck in the grass produced a couple of extra fish for you on this trip might have been enough to win a tournament some time in the future. Loosen up the brake and try the old backlash technique next if you have problems slowing up a little while you're picking out the backlash your liable to catch a good one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.