Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new graph and have been looking at either the Garmin 168 or Lowrance LMS-480M, they are very close in cost. Garmin advertises 1200W peak-to-peak for this unit while Lowrance advertises 4000W for the LMS-480M. Do you know if they measure wattage the same way? Also, the Lowrance has 480x480 pixel resolution, which is twice the Garmin. It looks like the Lowrance is a better unit to me, but I have heard some bad things about their customer service. What have been your experiences with either?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Lowrance has excellent customer service (as does Garmin). I would get the most bang for your buck and get the detail and power of the Lowrance.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I sencond John. Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Another advantage of the lowrance is the navionics chip capabilities. Lowrance in my opinion is the easiest to use and the best for the money. Dan give me a call and I will bring my michigan hotspots map to work and show u how it works. Garmin does have there BlueMaps or what ever they call it, but it doesn't include the inland lakes a Navionics chip does.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know a lot of the details about the Lowrance but I've used the Garmin 168 a lot and I've found it to be a very good unit. You can get it with an internal antenna so there's no whole drilling and the depth finder works well in automode. I also use mine on the trolling motor and it doesn't get lost when I put it back in the water. Garmin has some inland lakes available with their fishing hotspots gps maps. The only thing I would really consider would be the 188 or the new 178c because of the processor speed for redraw or the color and speed on the 178c. Check out www.garmin.com

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was looking at the 168 but have been introduced to another choice of gps/sounder. The Humminbird Matrix 67 is now or will soon be available. Uses Navionics cards. Have not got all details, sorry.
No more ice. Yeah! The new Lund will be cutting the water soon.
Tim J.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had a problem with my Lowrance. Called them and they went over all possible problems over the phone. By process of elimination they were able to determine that the unit had an internal problem. They had me send it in and I received a new unit within the week.
I can't complain about customer service like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts