Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing my new Lowrance HDS5 w/lake insight now I'm anxious for soft water and some serious fishing. I put it on a Ram Mount so I could swivel it around to view from front and I'll install my old fishfinder in the front of my boat.

Vehicle Flight instruments Motor vehicle Cockpit Steering part

Steering part Gauge Speedometer Steering wheel Trip computer

Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant Steering wheel

and for viewing while fishing
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Automotive design

Attachments

·
Vendor
797 Posts
Nice Tim. Maybe 2010 will be the year we finally hook up on your boat and I can check out the new HDS
Man I wish I could keep my boat in the garage. Tinkering all winter would probably keep me from going insane waiting for soft water.

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Wally Ranger @ Dec 30 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice Tim. Maybe 2010 will be the year we finally hook up on your boat and I can check out the new HDS
Man I wish I could keep my boat in the garage. Tinkering all winter would probably keep me from going insane waiting for soft water.

We'll definitly hook up on my boat next year I'm looking forward it. having the boat in the garage is nice I just wished it was a heated garage...I may have to work on that next

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Dec 30 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>great looking unit, nice install.

Thanks, the hardest part was getting the old transducer and cable out of the transom. I don't know what kind of silicon they used to seal it in transom but it was hard as heck to cut out.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Yer gonna lovei Tim. I've got an HDS8 on my console and the sonar is insane. I had some mapping issues. I went with Navionics, because like Mini, I'm a Navionics guy. I like their product, and my 8 did not play nice with the North chip. I ended up getting the Marine Charts and they blow me away! The detail and info on them is amazing.

I looked at the Insight and it looked pretty cool too. I'd recommend not running it on the 3D mode because it really slows the units down. At least the 8's on 3D crawl. The other thing is, the Insight that I've seen and played with reverts to a 2D map below a certain zoom and it was distracting to me. But I like the fact that it's MEANT to be in the HDS and as such, should play nice with the unit and not lock up and reboot like the three 8's I've had.

Also, check your manufacture date. Alot of the early 5's and 7's had bad water intrusion issues. The seal around the screen was leaking. I think if they're made after this past spring, they're supposed to be good to go. But if you have a unit from like January, it may very well leak in the rain and crap itself. What happens is it rains, stops working, and then when you get it home, it's litterally full of water. I'd "ops check" it in your garage. Turn it on and let it run for a few hours, and "rain" on it with something and soak it and see what it does. From what I hear the problem was the heat of the screen damaging the seal on the screen, and the screen leaking. If if craps itself now you can send it back and have a new unit by the spring. But Lowrance is currently running up to a few months on some models for repair/return, so if you soak it in May and it dies, you could be out until July. Check it now and make sure you've got a good one.

They're great units, but those of us that have them in their first year are working the bugs out for them for sure. I can't wait to get LSS over the winter. I was going to get it this fall, but it just came out in November and I'm letting the guys in Alabama work some bugs out before I get it next spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts