Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

New member checking in

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  propwash 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker on here for several months now, and have decided to start contributing, since I've gotten quite a bit from this site and its contributors.

A little about me; I'm 28, and live in Windsor. Fished a bunch when I was younger with my dad, nailing DR walleye all year long, jigging, and flippin' for bass at Long Point. Fished off shore with my friends also when I was a teenager. Once I hit high school and started working, I pretty much lost touch with fishing (working weekends made it difficult for my dad and I to get out). Same deal through University The boat my dad and I shared worked perfect 15 years ago when we last used it, but sadly, hasn't been used at all since. Most of my fishing these days has been from shore. Will probably get the boat going again sometime in the near future...

Last September, I visited a friend in North Bay, and we fished the entire weekend, which rekindled my love for the sport (some nice pike and bass will do that!). I've been fishing almost constantly since then (not ice fishing, though), with some decent results from shore (3 wally's this year in the DR from shore, with a few smallies thrown in, all coming from May 'till a few weeks ago--no LM Peks yet, but I'm proud of myself!
) I loooooooove walleye fishing (and eating!), and is pretty much the fish I target most around here, with a little bass action tossed in for kicks. Anyways, wanted to introduce myself, and hope to gain more knowledge and meet some fishing buddies (most of my friends would rather play cards than fish) while finally throwing in some tips I've learned over the years.

See less See more
#4 ·
QUOTE(canaller @ Jul 22 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome.Might have to work on that no ice fishing thing

LOL. Tried it ONCE when I was about 13, down behind Brock School in West Windsor. Didn't have an auger, so had to stomp through some previously cut holes (frozen over) just to fish. Didn't catch mush worth talkin' about, but did see some old guy pull a pretty big pike out of a rather small hole! Froze my cubes off the whole time.

#9 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 22 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whenever you want some tips, etc..shoot me a PM and I'll help out as much as I can. I don't know them all, still learning and investigating, but I know a few spots that give me a 60/40 shot at pulling up eye's from shore, Spring/Summer and Fall.

Welcome fellow Windsorite!

Thanks Peks! I've viewed many, many posts on here (many of yours as well!), and picked up some good info/spots. I really wanted to absorb everything before I posted anything myself. I already knew alot that I read, but picked up some good info as well. I've got a few not-so-secret shore spots that have produced (by produce, I mead A walleye lol, but ALL 3 of my 'eyes this year have been fishing at night from shore (I don't even bother if it's light out--that, and work keeps my away as well
). Two have come casting a grey (unpainted) jig and 6" black/silver plastic worm that my dad and I used to actually flip for bass with rigged Texas style. Pretty funny, actually. The other came on a wally diver casting and trolling(walking) the breakwall just east of the Bridge. I prefer not to use live bait when I can get away with it, as I would just as soon NOT catch any gobies when fishing for 'eyes. I'll definitely PM ya and pick your brain as needed.

#11 ·
Welcome aboard, glad to hear you use the cast and walk method, that is definitely my favorite way to fish from shore, on a river, Looking forward to your next report.

#13 ·
QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Jul 22 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome aboard, glad to hear you use the cast and walk method, that is definitely my favorite way to fish from shore, on a river, Looking forward to your next report.

I try it sometimes, not always. I prefer to cast out jigs/cranks, especially 'cause there are usually so many people walking/fishing the breakwalls that it's not worth the hastle to walk back and forth, and around everyone. When I have the time, the area I really like to go is a rocky shoreline, so walking would be difficult, especially at night.

I will definitely post reports when applicable, but I try and get out a few nights a week and most of the time, just catch rock bass or small smallmouth/silvers. It seems the times I've caught the 'eyes have been Friday or Saturday nights when I can stay out real late and fish for them for several hours. I know they're still in the river, but it certainly takes some time/patience/persistence to get 'em, especially from shore. Just makes it that much more worthwhile when I finally get one!

Was gonna go out tonight for a few hours, but the threat of storms kept me in; turned out to be not to bad...should've tried for a few hours...

#16 ·
Welcome!

Agreed with 6667supersport that getting the boat up and running could open up a lot more possibilities.

Enjoy! ><((((((((((*>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.