Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grew up boating with friends and family in Algonac, looking to buy my first boat. I am currently looking at a 1997 Rinker Captiva 232 and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on this boat. It has less than 100 hrs., buying from original owner, all accessories included (GPS also). Asking price $17,000. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boat has an Alpha I outdrive that looks really good from the outside, I will check the oil, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Go out in it on a rough day and decide if you are happy with a 23 foot boat. Typical two foot ideous will get you looking as soon as you buy it.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I have a 23 foot boat and I don't have a problem out there. My personal opinion is that a 19 footer is a little on the small side for Lake StClair, because my previous boat was a 19'. My 23 handles great out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I did quite a bit of research and decided to go ahead and buy the boat. I picked it up on Saturday, and am very happy with the condition of the boat. It has everything i need ie., lines, anchors, life jackets, canvas package, and even a gps. It is a Garmin 185 sounder, do not know much about it but it looks to be pretty nice. The last boat I had was a 19 foot bowrider and that was about 7-8 years ago, I figured 23 would be a good length for what i was looking for. Cant wait to put it in and take it for a ride.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(barks21 @ Mar 20 2003, 08:54 PM)Thanks for the advice guys, I did quite a bit of research and decided to go ahead and buy the boat. I picked it up on Saturday, and am very happy with the condition of the boat. It has everything i need ie., lines, anchors, life jackets, canvas package, and even a gps. It is a Garmin 185 sounder, do not know much about it but it looks to be pretty nice. The last boat I had was a 19 foot bowrider and that was about 7-8 years ago, I figured 23 would be a good length for what i was looking for. Cant wait to put it in and take it for a ride.
Barks,
I think that you'll be happy with a 23' out there. Don't listen to these guys about needing a 30' out there. If you got a great deal on a reasonably good size boat for the lake, then good for you. As for that Garmin GPS, you might want to PM Convincor253. He is a Garmin GPS guru.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
barks,
what does it have for power ? v6-vortec?
how heavy is it, what i sthe beam, what is the dead rise?
all these will be contributing factors to it's ride in choppy water. (like a sat-sun afternoon on lsc)

look at the quality of the hardware, controls, and windshield strtength, also look for stress cracks around the drive, and the sides of the boat, on the deck area, where the hull meets it. that will also kinda give you a feel for how much the boat flexes.

just my .02

G

·
Congrats Barks.....you jumped up 4' and thats good. My first boat was a 19' and now I am in a 27'. My next boat (if it happens) will be a 30 footer. But, we all do what we can do, right?

Size does matter partially, but it's all about your hull construction. I think you will love that rinker. It's made to "run-about". I think it will handle most everything out there. With in reason. I mean, c'mon you guys who disagree.....I certainly wouldn't purposely go out in 6' rollers. Occasionally you may hit a roller that will jar your teeth to the back of your head, but I think that happens in any size boat.
I know it's happened to all of us.

Have fun in it. Hope to see you out there.
With that GPS I should see you out at Gull Island at night, right? LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will definately be out at Gull this year, I will be keeping the boat in Algonac. The boat has the 5.7 l V8 with about 250hp, an 8'6" beam, 21 deadrise, and weighs about 4200 lbs. (dry). I have looked over most of the boat carefully and have not been able to find any stress cracks or blemishes, the previous owner was the original owner and took real good care of the boat. He gave me all the maintenance records and it has been very well maintained.

Most of my boating will be in the St. Clair River and LSC. A couple of my friends are already trying to talk me into a trip to PIB, but I am not sure about trying to cross Erie in a 23'boat.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(barks21 @ Mar 21 2003, 01:20 AM)I will definately be out at Gull this year, I will be keeping the boat in Algonac. The boat has the 5.7 l V8 with about 250hp, an 8'6" beam, 21 deadrise, and weighs about 4200 lbs. (dry). I have looked over most of the boat carefully and have not been able to find any stress cracks or blemishes, the previous owner was the original owner and took real good care of the boat. He gave me all the maintenance records and it has been very well maintained.

Most of my boating will be in the St. Clair River and LSC. A couple of my friends are already trying to talk me into a trip to PIB, but I am not sure about trying to cross Erie in a 23'boat.
I have had the same concerns about put in bay with my 23'.

G

·
We did a trip to PIB in a 201 Liberator. We tried it once without checking the weather and had to turn back because the wind was straight in our face and waves were solid 3-6'. It was a beautiful day, but we just couldn't get on plane, so we turned around and spent the day at Crystal Bay. The next time we tried it, waves were 1-3's and very manageable. We returned on Sat. instead of Sunday because the forcast was for 6-8's out of the NE on Sunday. The run back was perfect, with waves around 1'. The point of all this? Check the weather before you head out, listen to the VHF, and be prepared to change your plans. If we hadn't checked the weather radio on Sat. and just partied all day (it was New Years in PIB), we would have been stuck there for a couple of days. The Metro show started that weekend and we went to it on Sunday. All of the flags were flying straight out and tents were flapping around all over the place and the temp dropped about 25 degrees.

I wouldn't rule out a PIB trip on a 23' boat, as long as you're flexible and you know what the forecast is for the day you go and however long you plan to be there. Just know that Erie can get bad enough where a 40 footer is too small. The more you know, the safer it can be.

BTW - Congrats on the new boat!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Thanks Bill. I will have to consider those things whe i decide to go. I think I would want to get a private dock though. I am not too keen on people tying up to my boat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again guys, if I decide to try PIB I will be sure to check the weather and lake conditions. I am planing on polishing, waxing, etc. myself this spring, do you have any suggestions on specific products to use? Or is it too much work, should I pay soneone else to do it?

G

·
Ah, half the fun is cleaning it up yourself and making it your own. Being able to say you did it. I used a 3M wax last year. OK as far as wax goes. If there is a better product out there? Please someone tell us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Convincor,
You need to tell Jabber that, he has a "boat cleaning party" every year. All of his friends become boat slaves for a day.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Mar 22 2003, 05:24 AM)Ah, half the fun is cleaning it up yourself and making it your own. Being able to say you did it. I used a 3M wax last year. OK as far as wax goes. If there is a better product out there? Please someone tell us.
You're gonna think this is insane, but a boat mechanic told me and a couple other people told me that clear floor wax (like "Future") is great for the boat bottom if it's not painted (as ours is not). Sounded weird, but we tried it and the bottom kept pretty clean, but more importantly it was easy to clean what green we did get on it at the end of the year. I thoroughly inspected the hull after it was clean and there was no evidence that sitting all summer in the water had done any surface damage.

We used a 3M product above the water line that was supposed to help with the oxidation. It worked good, but a high speed buffer would have helped, we ended up getting swirl marks and it was a beast to do by hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wondering if anyone has heard of Collinite? I talked to my dad who had a 70's something Thompson up until a couple of years age, and he bieng a clean freak had that boat looking incredible every year. He said that he always used Collinite fiberglass baot cleaner #920, followed by Collinite Fleetwax #885 (he still had a bit left in the garage). Just wondering if anyone had any experience with these products. The boat it will be waxing is a 1997 and does not appear to have much oxidation, not sure if I need a cleaner/compound or just a good wash and wax. What do ya think?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts