Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some feedback on which St. Croix premiere musky rod to get. I sent in my visa rewards points for $200 in cabellas gift certificates.

7'6" / MH / 20-50lb 3/4-3oz
7'6" / MH / 30-65lb 2-6oz
or
8' same specs.

Going to put an Abu Garcia 5600 C4 reel on whatever rod I get... any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I like using Suffix Braid but im open to any suggestions on what I should put on the spool.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Are they both "MH" or is the heavier of the two "H

It comes down to what you want to cast- are you casting Rapalas or are you casting big double 10's and Believers? If you're not casting heavy baits, you can do the smaller rod. But if you're throwing big bucktails, the smaller rod will do it, but the average double 10 is 3 oz. You're already at the top of the scale.

I like the longer rods. I like 8', 7'6" will do you just fine. Alot of guys still prefer rods on the shorter side of the spectrum, and I don't like them too long (now they have 10' rods out). I like 8-9'.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would go with the longer rod and it makes your figure 8's easier but it does depend on what you throw. If all you throw is jerkbaits then the shorter rod would probably be better. I am a big fan of the longer rods because of the 8's, casting distance and I am one of the nuts on LSC with a one piece 10'rod and I really like it. Good luck and St. Croix makes a great rod and they provide good service.

·
Registered
281 Posts
they have a new rod out for 2009.

premier® glass musky rod 8' H Mod. 1 20 -60lbs. 1 - 8oz $190

I have so much tackle its rediculous. Yes Im the person that sees the shiny new bucktail/crankbait and ends up with every color the company makes. Yeah I know, go ahead and yuck it up! To make matters worse, you guys had to go and stuff Anglers Point with all these new and fancy looking lures! Its a good thing my birthday is on the 30th because I dont think the wife will like me much after spending a few hundred on the premise of supporting the local bait shop! LOL

Still wondering what line you would suggest, otherwise im going to use Suffix Braid.

·
Registered
526 Posts
[quote name='thor450mx' post='910086' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:54 PM']they have a new rod out for 2009.

premier® glass musky rod 8' H Mod. 1 20 -60lbs. 1 - 8oz $190

I have so much tackle its rediculous. Yes Im the person that sees the shiny new bucktail/crankbait and ends up with every color the company makes. Yeah I know, go ahead and yuck it up! To make matters worse, you guys had to go and stuff Anglers Point with all these new and fancy looking lures! Its a good thing my birthday is on the 30th because I dont think the wife will like me much after spending a few hundred on the premise of supporting the local bait shop! LOL

Still wondering what line you would suggest, otherwise im going to use Suffix Braid.

I like Powerpro in Moss Green and or Invisabraid by Stealth and I use 80lb test. I am not sure about a glass rod and thought they were used more for trolling than casting but I am not positive about that but you may want to check.[/quote]

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(thor450mx @ Aug 19 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To make matters worse, you guys had to go and stuff Anglers Point with all these new and fancy looking lures! Its a good thing my birthday is on the 30th because I dont think the wife will like me much after spending a few hundred on the premise of supporting the local bait shop! LOL

Check them out this weekend....I should have my bucktails in there and at Jimmy's by Friday....You like fancy baits, you're gonna like mine.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I love my 8' rod it works great for everything I throw & its a XH 2 - 9oz. I also use 100# powerpro moss green & have great luck with it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have the 8' MH 3/4 -3 and like it so far. I also know that BASSTEK uses the same rod and has taken multiple 50" fish on it and loves it - FWIW.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The premiere glass was only ten dollars more but I noticed that it had a wide range ...1-8oz. Anyone else think this would NOT be a good rod for casting?

The other one was an 8' H Mod. 30-65lb 2-6oz
This rod would be great because I already have a 1-3oz 7' rod.

I was just thinking that for 10 bucks more it would be pretty nice to have a rod capable of handling just about anything I throw or might throw in the near future.

Thanks for the tip, Ill load up on powerpro when my new rod comes in

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(thor450mx @ Aug 19 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The premiere glass was only ten dollars more but I noticed that it had a wide range ...1-8oz. Anyone else think this would NOT be a good rod for casting?

Because it's a medium action and weighs more than an ounce more than the standard Premier rod. I'll cast, but having a slower action with the same weight rating = it's a club.

Get the Premier 2-6. I have one. Great blade rod, but I'm stepping up to a LT in a Sling Blade and Big Dawg.

Heck, I'll make you a helluva deal on mine and you can spend your $200 at Cabela's on something else. I've used it since the first week of July, so it's pretty new. I'll sell it for $100 and I haven't even registered it yet, so you could register yourself as the original owner.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sold, Ill PM you with my number and info. I run a lawn and landscape buisiness (Washington Lawn Maint.) Supposed to get douched the rest of the week... maybe we can meet up at Anglers Point while its raining but if that doesnt work out itll have to wait till Sunday........nevermind lol Ill PM you already and well work it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know it's not relavant to Muskie, but I just picked up a St Croix bass fishing rod (legend tournament series) and I absolutely love it!!!! Casting is dead accurate, I feel EVERYTHING that touches the bait, casts further etc, etc. I know you'll love their products.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(thor450mx @ Aug 19 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sold, Ill PM you with my number and info. I run a lawn and landscape buisiness (Washington Lawn Maint.) Supposed to get douched the rest of the week... maybe we can meet up at Anglers Point while its raining but if that doesnt work out itll have to wait till Sunday........nevermind lol Ill PM you already and well work it out.

I think I might be the only one that found this funny but I think "Doused" might be the verb to use in that sentence. Then again, there might be other issues in question lol.

I would take up Esox on that deal for sure. If you don't, I will lol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Aug 20 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(thor450mx @ Aug 19 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sold, Ill PM you with my number and info. I run a lawn and landscape buisiness (Washington Lawn Maint.) Supposed to get douched the rest of the week... maybe we can meet up at Anglers Point while its raining but if that doesnt work out itll have to wait till Sunday........nevermind lol Ill PM you already and well work it out.

I think I might be the only one that found this funny but I think "Doused" might be the verb to use in that sentence. Then again, there might be other issues in question lol.

I would take up Esox on that deal for sure. If you don't, I will lol.

If he is Musky fishing then he said it correctly

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LoL, Douched. what great word! I think I remember reading a post about how Esox actually likes getting douched... Something about being out in that storm we got about 2 weeks back? Everyone else was getting off the lake but if I remember correctly, He actually likes it because theres less competition on getting that fishy smell all over his hands!!! Come to think about it if that was the case I wouldnt mind getting douched either!

Nice try FISHON! This St. Croix is spoken for! You can look but dont touch!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I gotta say, I think I'll pass on douchings. I'll fish in the rain, but it's not for the hygiene.

The Sling Blade is on it's way. Pretty much everyone is out of them. One of my favorite stores in MN (not Thorne's, though they are a fav) had an order in with St. Croix and they were supposed to have shipped today from WI. Everyone else is supposed to have them first week of September. Hope to have mine late next week.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right on man, thats a bummer that no one had them in stock but im sure that it will be worth the wait. To be honest, Im really looking forward to trying out your new bucktails. Anyhow thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I actually checked theses rods out yesterday at bass pro. For all the debate on not using bass tackle I don't see how these are considered "musky rods." yeah they have a longer butt, but the action and backbone seem no different than heavy bass rods. They are nice and they serve their purpose no doubt. but at first glance the really the only thing muskey about these rods, (according to the numerous rants over the summer) is the name.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts