Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on going after the walleyes Monday evening launching from Wyandotte. I have never fished the area so I would appreciate any information you guys would like to share.
What size jig do you prefer.
What color jig head?
Do you prefer plastic or live bait?
Should I just join the packs of boats for my first time fishing the river?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys I thought this was a tip board to. I plan on going tomorrow and haven't received any help. 65 views and not one reply.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I havent gone in weeks, but I know they are stillc atching them. I would use brown plastic worms on a jig heavy enough in the current.....

Sorry but thats about all I can give without being out there...

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here are the basics for fishing the Detroit River. As far as spots are concerned, here are the ones that have been producing:

Great Lakes Steel (28 -32 FOW)
Salt Mines (26-35 FOW)
Just South of the Bridge (Ambassador) 38-42 FOW
Tip of Fighting Island (20-30 FOW) By the yellow bouys.

1) You must keep your lines vertical at all times. Therefore, you need a trolling motor or kicker to counteract the wind. If you don't have one, stay home.

2) Concentrate on the areas between 18-30 FOW water. Start in the shallower water and move deeper as the day goes on. If you are new to jigging, start with 1/2oz jigs and go up only if you have trouble feeling the bottom. Once you get the hang of it, you can drop down to 3/8oz in water less than 25 feet. In water deeper than 30, you may need 5/8 or 3/4 oz jigs. There is no need for anything heavier than that.

3) You will not need bait. Just get yourself some of the 4" brown worms that they sell at the WBR and put it on the 1/2oz jig head (Chartruse, green or orange are all good choices).

4) You will want to jig your rod about 10-12 inches, with a slight snap of the wrist to trigger the bites. Before you drop it back down, make sure the line tightens. They will amost always hit it right before it hits the bottom. I prefer a slightly firmer rod and 8# fireline (use a 18-24" mono leader with small barrel swivel)

5) There is a map on www.wbramp.com that will point out some of the good spots, however, you will see all the boats. There are plenty of good spots very near to the WBR.

6) Keep an eye on the water clarity. You need about 18 inches of visibility to catch fish. Drop your jig down and determine when you can't see it anymore. If it is less than 18 inches, you may want to move. The US side is almost always cleaner.

7) I would highly recommend going with a guide your first time. Jon Bondy (www.lakestclairfishing.com) is one of the best on the river. You will learn more in one day with him, than you would in a whole season on your own.

·
Registered
616 Posts
QUOTE(Slimshady @ May 17 2004, 08:41 AM)Here are the basics for fishing the Detroit River. As far as spots are concerned, here are the ones that have been producing:

Great Lakes Steel (28 -32 FOW)
Salt Mines (26-35 FOW)
Just South of the Bridge (Ambassador) 38-42 FOW
Tip of Fighting Island (20-30 FOW) By the yellow bouys.

1) You must keep your lines vertical at all times. Therefore, you need a trolling motor or kicker to counteract the wind. If you don't have one, stay home.

2) Concentrate on the areas between 18-30 FOW water. Start in the shallower water and move deeper as the day goes on. If you are new to jigging, start with 1/2oz jigs and go up only if you have trouble feeling the bottom. Once you get the hang of it, you can drop down to 3/8oz in water less than 25 feet. In water deeper than 30, you may need 5/8 or 3/4 oz jigs. There is no need for anything heavier than that.

3) You will not need bait. Just get yourself some of the 4" brown worms that they sell at the WBR and put it on the 1/2oz jig head (Chartruse, green or orange are all good choices).

4) You will want to jig your rod about 10-12 inches, with a slight snap of the wrist to trigger the bites. Before you drop it back down, make sure the line tightens. They will amost always hit it right before it hits the bottom. I prefer a slightly firmer rod and 8# fireline (use a 18-24" mono leader with small barrel swivel)

5) There is a map on www.wbramp.com that will point out some of the good spots, however, you will see all the boats. There are plenty of good spots very near to the WBR.

6) Keep an eye on the water clarity. You need about 18 inches of visibility to catch fish. Drop your jig down and determine when you can't see it anymore. If it is less than 18 inches, you may want to move. The US side is almost always cleaner.

7) I would highly recommend going with a guide your first time. Jon Bondy (www.lakestclairfishing.com) is one of the best on the river. You will learn more in one day with him, than you would in a whole season on your own.
Great post, That would of taken me about 2 hours to type that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I typed it once a while back in Microsoft Word for a buddy of mine and just kept it. That way, whenever someone asks, I can just paste it back in. Took me about 15 seconds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts