Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Looking to get back into fishing.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings lake friends,

I'm looking to get back into fishing and I found this board. I grew up fishing off a dock and pontoon on a lake "Up North" (if you consider Mayville, Up North). I just moved near Anchor Bay and I really want to get back into fishing but I feel clueless as to where to start.

As of now, I don't have a boat but I'm not against renting one here and there if I have friends that want to make a day of fishing. For now, I expect to be fishing from shore or possibly the Brandenburg Park pier in Chesterfield. Any tips/suggestions related to that park would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I start?
What do I buy?
What mistakes should I avoid?

I'm mostly interested in catching Perch, Blue Gill and other pan fish. I would probably be OK with Bass etc. Not sure I would know what to do with a Pike and/or Muskie. Anything I catch I'm also going to have to learn how to clean and cook.

I'm sure that I will have more questions as I get started but any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Greetings lake friends,

I'm looking to get back into fishing and I found this board. I grew up fishing off a dock and pontoon on a lake "Up North" (if you consider Mayville, Up North). I just moved near Anchor Bay and I really want to get back into fishing but I feel clueless as to where to start.

As of now, I don't have a boat but I'm not against renting one here and there if I have friends that want to make a day of fishing. For now, I expect to be fishing from shore or possibly the Brandenburg Park pier in Chesterfield. Any tips/suggestions related to that park would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I start?
What do I buy?
What mistakes should I avoid?

I'm mostly interested in catching Perch, Blue Gill and other pan fish. I would probably be OK with Bass etc. Not sure I would know what to do with a Pike and/or Muskie. Anything I catch I'm also going to have to learn how to clean and cook.

I'm sure that I will have more questions as I get started but any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Check Iggy's reports below. He gives lots of details in his reports that answer your questions. Selfridge boat ramp is a good place to start. You will even see people fishing right by the ramp.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are many off shore locations to try fishing. Start out with a normal perch spreader or a drop shot rig, OR a hook below a bobber. Minnows are usually the bait to use this time of year for the perch and rockbass. Night crawlers work too. Like Bigbass 101 stated, go by the Selfridge DNR boat launch and fish the canal there or in the lake off shore. Brandenburg park is a nice spot and so is the fishing pier in New Baltimore.

Metro Park has a few spots to try off shore fishing as well. Plenty of shore fishing there in the boat basins or in the Black Creek which is a canal leading out of the park and emptying into the lake. There are some fishing piers at the park too at the end of the Black Creek. At the end of South River Rd. is another good spot for shore fishing in the lake or in the Clinton River.

I do not know any place that rents out boats, but I am sure there are places that do rent them out. Are you ever available to fish in the morning during the week? I usually go out alone during the week and would not mind some company to go along in my boat. I cannot do Mondays, but Tuedays thru Fridays are open for me. Nothing fancy but it is 16-1/2 ft. and safe. I am an old timer and know the lake pretty well, and I really enjoy any type of fishing, but mostly do my best at pan fishing (perch, rockbass, bluegill, sunfish, etc.) If you ever want to get out in my boat, give me a shout.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check Iggy's reports below. He gives lots of details in his reports that answer your questions. Selfridge boat ramp is a good place to start. You will even see people fishing right by the ramp.
Thank you BigBass. I will check out the Selfridge boat ramp. Next week is my birthday and I think...maybe?...I'm getting gift cards to buy fishing "stuff."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are many off shore locations to try fishing. Start out with a normal perch spreader or a drop shot rig, OR a hook below a bobber. Minnows are usually the bait to use this time of year for the perch and rockbass. Night crawlers work too. Like Bigbass 101 stated, go by the Selfridge DNR boat launch and fish the canal there or in the lake off shore. Brandenburg park is a nice spot and so is the fishing pier in New Baltimore.

Metro Park has a few spots to try off shore fishing as well. Plenty of shore fishing there in the boat basins or in the Black Creek which is a canal leading out of the park and emptying into the lake. There are some fishing piers at the park too at the end of the Black Creek. At the end of South River Rd. is another good spot for shore fishing in the lake or in the Clinton River.

I do not know any place that rents out boats, but I am sure there are places that do rent them out. Are you ever available to fish in the morning during the week? I usually go out alone during the week and would not mind some company to go along in my boat. I cannot do Mondays, but Tuedays thru Fridays are open for me. Nothing fancy but it is 16-1/2 ft. and safe. I am an old timer and know the lake pretty well, and I really enjoy any type of fishing, but mostly do my best at pan fishing (perch, rockbass, bluegill, sunfish, etc.) If you ever want to get out in my boat, give me a shout.
Thank you Iggy.

I will look up the types of hookups you mentioned (drop shot rig etc.) I'm glad to hear that I am near a few good spots. Brandenburg is closest but I'm good with going where I get a good start.

Right now we just moved into a new house and have family visiting next week. But, after everything levels out a bit I would love to join you on the lake. Even though I work (from home) my schedule if flexible. Thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it.

As of now, I own nothing. So, one day soon, I'm going to walk into Cabela's and/or Bass Pro (or maybe a local shop) and start buying from the ground up. Where do I start? My guess is...rod...reel...line....as a starting point. Then some weights...rigs...bobbers...hooks etc. Which ones?...I'm not sure. What else?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank you Iggy.

I will look up the types of hookups you mentioned (drop shot rig etc.) I'm glad to hear that I am near a few good spots. Brandenburg is closest but I'm good with going where I get a good start.

Right now we just moved into a new house and have family visiting next week. But, after everything levels out a bit I would love to join you on the lake. Even though I work (from home) my schedule if flexible. Thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it.

As of now, I own nothing. So, one day soon, I'm going to walk into Cabela's and/or Bass Pro (or maybe a local shop) and start buying from the ground up. Where do I start? My guess is...rod...reel...line....as a starting point. Then some weights...rigs...bobbers...hooks etc. Which ones?...I'm not sure. What else?
You can pick up an "ugly stick" fishing rod. Start out with an open spincast reel or a closed face spinning reel like a Zebco '33' which I think is a good cheaper reel to start out. Get some perch or crappie rigs which come in a package with hooks already in the package for the spreaders. Pick up a few bell sinkers from 1/4 oz.to 1 oz. for starters. Pick up a few bobbers made of plastic or balsa wood. When you buy a rod /reel combo, it will have line already on it. Get yourself a small tackle box to keep your things in and carry them out to your fishing spot. Pick up a cheap landing net which does not need to be expensive,

As you learn to fish and start really getting into it, you will want to get better and better gear for the sport. You may even consider picking up some used rods and reels and tackle to start out with off of Craigslist or Macomb Swappers or E-bay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts