Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the lake. I recently started fishing for bass and musky just casting. Caght a few small Muskies and a lot of large mouth. I am atempting to go walleye fishing for the first time around the lake I launch out of the selfridge ramp near hall Rd. Does anyone have tips on the closest spot to have a shot at hooking some. I am familiar with anchor bay around that area. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you get lucky you might catch a few by the salt river trolling harnesses real slow when the water is stained otherwise SCR & various channels & mouths

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 31 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you get lucky you might catch a few by the salt river trolling harnesses real slow when the water is stained otherwise SCR & various channels & mouths

How far out from the salt river should I go out and nice recession quote lmao!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Don't know too much about saint clair yet. But wanted to welcome you to the site and I am quite sure there will be a lot of fellow people give you some advice. Everyone on here are great people.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jul 31 2009, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't know too much about saint clair yet. But wanted to welcome you to the site and I am quite sure there will be a lot of fellow people give you some advice. Everyone on here are great people.

Thanks man

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Jul 31 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 31 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you get lucky you might catch a few by the salt river trolling harnesses real slow when the water is stained otherwise SCR & various channels & mouths

How far out from the salt river should I go out and nice recession quote lmao!

Unfortunately it varies. Could be within a hundred yards or so could be half way out into the bay. You just don't know for sure where the active fish will be. I would just troll the harnesses over the weed beds (flat line) and cover as much territory as possible if you can't make a longer run out along the shipping channel or into the rivers.

Try ever larger S patterns starting in that corner and work out toward the center & SANG

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Jul 31 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try vertical jigging in the North Channel or dragging harnesses. Saw lots of walleye fishermen upstream from Grassy Island fishing the edges and middle of North Channel last weekend.

where would the north channel or grassy island be from the selfridge launch or is it pretty far?

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Jul 31 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Jul 31 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try vertical jigging in the North Channel or dragging harnesses. Saw lots of walleye fishermen upstream from Grassy Island fishing the edges and middle of North Channel last weekend.

where would the north channel or grassy island be from the selfridge launch or is it pretty far?

Grassy island is a bit of a hike from the selfridge launch. The channels are behind the island.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 31 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Jul 31 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Jul 31 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try vertical jigging in the North Channel or dragging harnesses. Saw lots of walleye fishermen upstream from Grassy Island fishing the edges and middle of North Channel last weekend.

Grassy island is a bit of a hike from the selfridge launch. The channels are behind the island.

Thanks a lot! thats a lot of help I'm just fishing basically blind out there and I dont know where any of the places are... even if I know the names. lol

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Monday evening there were approx. 20 boats straight out from brandenburg trolling or drifting. could only assume they were fishing for wallys. They were in 11' of water just north of selfridge about even with salt river/brandenburg out about a mile. Did U catch your small muskys between selfrdge and the salt??? Been fishing there the last month 6-8' of water, have seen some nice ones and getting a good amount of follows casting bucktails. GOODLUCK

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Jul 31 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Monday evening there were approx. 20 boats straight out from brandenburg trolling or drifting. could only assume they were fishing for wallys. They were in 11' of water just north of selfridge about even with salt river/brandenburg out about a mile. Did U catch your small muskys between selfrdge and the salt??? Been fishing there the last month 6-8' of water, have seen some nice ones and getting a good amount of follows casting bucktails. GOODLUCK

yeah i"ve been consistantly catching smaller muskies on lipless shad raps believe it or not right between those spots. I like to target smallies, but i reel pretty quick which seems to get the attention of the smaller muskies.... which doesnt bother me at all. I would like to catch a nice klunker soon tho!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Welcome Mitchell

Here is a handy link for learning your way around the lake and finding some decent spots to fish

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

Click on an area to zoom in and use the compass at the top to move around the lake. The top right corner of the screen will show GPS coordinates for where your mouse is pointing.
Click on the fishing icon at the top for some commonly known areas to fish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 31 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome Mitchell

Here is a handy link for learning your way around the lake and finding some decent spots to fish

Click on an area to zoom in and use the compass at the top to move around the lake. The top right corner of the screen will show GPS coordinates for where your mouse is pointing.

Wow thanks man that is a sweet site

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Mukskellunge Mitchell @ Jul 31 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 31 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome Mitchell

Wow thanks man that is a sweet site

It's ma'am, but you're welcome anyway

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
on this lake it is best if your like the most of us and have a smaller boat to trailor it to the closest launch to where you wanna be

deckers landing/23 mile road dnr launch are close to grassy

what size is your boat and i can help you on where to go and what to use

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Jul 31 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>on this lake it is best if your like the most of us and have a smaller boat to trailor it to the closest launch to where you wanna be

deckers landing/23 mile road dnr launch are close to grassy

what size is your boat and i can help you on where to go and what to use

I have a 16 alum, i am kind of limited to how far I can travel so that would help. I am atempting on going out tonight is there a lot of sand bars or low points that will mess up my motor around deckers landing? and minnows or crawlers?

·
Registered
573 Posts
QUOTE(weapons of bass destructon @ Jul 31 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try vertical jigging in the North Channel or dragging harnesses. Saw lots of walleye fishermen upstream from Grassy Island fishing the edges and middle of North Channel last weekend.

X2 i have quite a bit of luck in that area

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
the dnr launch is closser and is a better launch site deckers only has one launch when you come out of the dnr launch grassy is straight out but stay a little to the right on your way out i havent fished it but i would try using harnesses with a 2 oz bottom bouncer find the channel on the east side of grassy troll in the channel from grassy to bouy 6

is your boat a deep v the st clair light is producing the best on the lake

port huron is producing pretty good if you wanna go there

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.