Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just moved to the area in June and now that it's getting cold I was wondering if there are any small ponds, canals or lakes that freeze up quickly around here. I live in Redford but don't mind driving to get to fish some safe ice. My buddy in Illinois called this morning and they were out yesterday on 3-4" of new ice. We can't be far behind.

Thanks
Duffy

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Lake Saint Clair canals should be fishable by next weekend. Although it has been cold enough around here the past few days to make ice, the extremely high winds has most likely made ice production very difficult. The water literally gets blown to Canada.

Some of the inland lakes in Oakland county may have skim ice at best.

If you have access to a private pond, you may find fishable ice this weekend. All ponds I saw last weekend were completely iced over.

Take your time. It's a long winter.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Dec 11 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lake Saint Clair canals should be fishable by next weekend. Although it has been cold enough around here the past few days to make ice, the extremely high winds has most likely made ice production very difficult. The water literally gets blown to Canada.

Some of the inland lakes in Oakland county may have skim ice at best.

If you have access to a private pond, you may find fishable ice this weekend. All ponds I saw last weekend were completely iced over.

Take your time. It's a long winter.

This is Bouvier Bay looking north towrds the Fair Haven launch. The first picture is yesterday around 3 pm the second one is this morning around 9:30 am.

The second set is looking east towards the north channel.

If this weather keeps up you should have ice soon enough.

Matt

Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape Fluid

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Lake

Water Sky Horizon Wind wave Lake

Water Sky Cloud Horizon Beach

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice pics. wish i lived there

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(duffy7382 @ Dec 12 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, I was hoping somebody knew a place that froze up quick....I haven't ice fished this side of LSC. Hope it stays cold this week, I'm getting the itch.
Another good way to find out some spots is to come and hang out at the get together / food drive on the 23rd of january. It would give you a chance to meet a bunch of us and I am more than sure that someone will be able to give you some tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts