Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put an offer on a 1992 260 Well Craft Prima with twin mercs.

This will be my first boat and i'm looking for a little feedback. Are twins better than a single? I just reserved my well today at compass point in anchor bay. Will i have many problems with water levels up there.

Just looking for some friendly advice

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Well you've come to the right place my friend. First off congrats on the boat and welcome to the site/lake.

Water levels....who knows where all hoping that this is a good year. I think no matter what your going to be fine up there. Just buy a chart and learn to use it.

As far as twins verse single.....Everyone has there ideas about it...as far as mine go.....two is always better than one if you can afford it. I'll leave the finner points to everyone else....come on guys help him out.

#2 rule is have fun and enjoy yourself and everything else will work its way out.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The rule that comes before #1 is to take a boaters safety course. Know the rules of the road and the VERY POTENTIAL DANGERS of owning a boat! Gas fumes are LETHAL.....THEN its all about the fun!

Mini

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Onemiler: First boat; I would suggest a good boating course. I have been a owner or around them for many years and still took the course when I moved up to your size. Twins are always better than one, but the downside is the expense. Double your maintenance costs. Gas is not double but you will burn more with two. I like the idea of two. Easier to control, back, ect. The number one thing is the water levels on this lake. Pay attention to where you are running, how much draft you need and get some good charts. Don't get overwhelmed with advice. Boating is fun.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Mar 31 2003, 07:21 PM)#1 is to take a boaters safety course.
Minni is right....I'm going to change my post to #2.

G

·
I gotta agree with all of the above concerning a safety class. I took one 10 years after I started boating and that was not the way to go. It's a lot easier to learn things in a class than to learn them on the water. Cheaper, too. Plus if you don't know the rules concerning right of way, you can be a danger to yourself and other boaters. Not everyone out on the lake knows what they're doing, but you have a lot more confidence if you know that you do.

Also, I don't know where you are on your purchase, but if you make an offer, make it contingent on a satisfactory marine survey. Figure on around $10(+) a foot for the survey. A good surveyor will be able to tell you what you're getting yourself into, or hopefully that the boat is great shape. Your insurance co. or bank may require a survey, so you might as well get one before it's too late. My boat had worn gimbals that made the steering loose and was actually a safety hazard. Having a survey done let me work the $3K repair cost into the purchase price, otherwise I would've been hosed.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
ICET you said (HAVE FUN) Thats why we have BOATS TO enjoy Those HOT SUNNY DAYS on are great Lake I mean GREAT LAKE...Welcome to boating ..
You will make mistaKES,sO WHAT WE ALL DID..a NUMBER 1 get chart ...Go slow and easy .Take course...And most Important thing Is have fun......

·
LSCN Sponsor
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies, I'm having a engine surveyer look at it, but as for as the rest of the boat, it only has 210 hours and is in mint shape.

I've been around boats my whole life so i'm not a rookie but I'll look into some boater saftey classes and you don't have to tell me to have fun...I'm single and just out of college.

I'll look forward to seeing y'all in the sun. I'll be that guy with the boat full of chicks.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. Just a side note, From personal experience low hours isn't always a good thing. I bought my boat with 139 hours on it and come to find out I had to go through pretty much the entire boats electrical system with a file and sand paper to clean up all the connections because alot of the electrical components didn't work due to corrosion. I'd still recommend a surveyor check out the rest of the boat. Good luck and have fun. I hope to meet you out on the water someday.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I had a discussion with a Coast Guard officer about boating safety coarses. He said that less than 20% of boat owners in Michigan have taken a boating safety coarse. That means most people out there don't even know the basics (right-of-way, first aid, etc.). A boating safety coarse is #1. Coarses are held by the Coast Guard Auxilary, Power Squadron, and Macomb County Sheriff's Department. Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Pwood, You hit the biggest pet peeve I have out on the water.
Right of way. I hate that when someone cuts me off and they get mad at me because they don't know the rules.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll just add to the gang - regardless of your boating pettigree - if you haven't taken a boating course - take one. I was in the CG for 6 years, and have been boating for over 25, and I still went with my wife when we got our first "big" boat and was very satisified with the material. Great refresher for those who feel as they are 'old salts". You can ALWAYS learn something new!!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Chart, chart, chart!! This lake is notoriously shallow in MANY spots, so a good chart is VERY important!!

A boat full of chicks? You'll find MANY new friends on this lake.

CONGRATS and ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(onemiler @ Mar 31 2003, 11:35 PM)thanks for the replies, I'm having a engine surveyer look at it, but as for as the rest of the boat, it only has 210 hours and is in mint shape.

I've been around boats my whole life so i'm not a rookie but I'll look into some boater saftey classes and you don't have to tell me to have fun...I'm single and just out of college.

I'll look forward to seeing y'all in the sun. I'll be that guy with the boat full of chicks.
Please remember those of us who were kind enough to respond. A boat full of ....... Oh yeah.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(onemiler @ Mar 31 2003, 06:04 PM)I'm about to put an offer on a 1992 260 Well Craft Prima with twin mercs.

This will be my first boat and i'm looking for a little feedback. Are twins better than a single? I just reserved my well today at compass point in anchor bay. Will i have many problems with water levels up there.

Just looking for some friendly advice
Yes yes yes to all of the advise given. Boaters safety course, absolutly. A good chart, again, absolutly.

Have you purchased this boat yet or are you still looking at it? A structural survey is a very good idea. If for nothing else, to check the hull density and moisture. You said it is a wellcraft. Have the engine surveyor pay very close attention to and CHECK THE STRINGERS FOR ROT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and have fun.

PS -- Make sure you go through the proper de-naming ceramony or you are in for BIG trouble. That is if you are superstitious. LOLOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are going to Compass Point....Make SURE you have a depth gauge. The water going in and out of the lake is extremely shallow. I keep my Silverton up on the Swann, and had a hard time last fall getting to Mayea's for the winter.....
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
QUOTE(onemiler @ Mar 31 2003, 11:35 PM)thanks for the replies, I'm having a engine surveyer look at it, but as for as the rest of the boat, it only has 210 hours and is in mint shape.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you rethink this position, and get a full structural survey by a reputable surveyor. Let me tell you a story about a boat..... The boat was purchased new, built by a high-quality manufacturer. Used two seasons, washed, waxed, and pampered. Always rack-stored, never left in the water.

After two years, the owner decided to sell the boat. A buyer was found, hands were shaken, the deal was on. The purchaser's finance company required a survey, and lo and behold, a problem was found. The high-quality boat had engine stringers that were saturated with moisture! It turns out that the limber holes in the stringers were not sealed properly, and water penetrated the stringers. Bear in mind that this boat could be mistaken for new, it was so clean. Fortunately for the owner, the factory stood behind the boat and repaired it properly.

The moral of the story - always, always, always get a survey. It will cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it could save you thousands.

·
Registered
387 Posts
P Wood and Jason R hit it right on!

Don't think of the "Boating Safety" class as only safety, it also teaches the very important rules of the road! Lake St. Clair is hands down the worse place to boat, where people don't fully understand the rules and common courtesy. If you decide to skip the safety class, you need to at least understand some of the more basic rules.

Example:

A. Everyone is oblivious to your presence. Always prepare for the worse.
B. It's called "Right of way", not "Left of Way". Yield to EVERY boat off your right.
C. Red Right Returning. Keep the red buoys on the right when returning to port. They are there for a reason.
D. Big wakes don't make friends (sometimes you can't help it, sometimes you can.
E. Freighters kick up a lot of junk behind them from the bottom of the lake. Give them plenty of room astern.
F. Fisherman generally don't think a "High Speed Fly By" is cool (I would, but I'm not a fisherman).

I hope I'm not coming across as pompous or arrogant, but I've lost count of the occasions where I've literally had to stop my boat because someone from the left refuses to change course. All the while they are looking right at me, most of the time, giving me the one finger salute as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your insurance company will most likely require a structural survey. Engines can be taken out & put back in cheaper than rotten stingers can be repaired. You will definitey recoup the cost of a good survey. Along with the boaters safety course it would be a good idea to have your boat safety inspected. The Power Squadron will do it for free. That way you'll be sure that you are "legal".
Jerry

·
Registered
896 Posts
Bayley you've addressed my pet peeve very well. Knowing who has the right of way is one of the most basic skills one can posses out there and unfortunately is sorely lacking. Just one thing I'd like to add, if a boat is approaching from your starboard also know as right, change your course and pass to the boats stern also known as the back of the boat. You'll receive a lot of smiles instead of fingers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts