Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my renewal for my jet-ski trailer.....$75.!!!!
used to be $16. WTF!!!!!
It goes by weight now.

0-2499 is $75.
2500-9999 is $200.
10000 and up is $300.

Yeah, thats fair, my little SINGLE place jetski trailer the same price as a triple axle HUGE boat trailer. WTF!!

·
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your trailer weighs that much???

(its trailer weight only)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yeah my 1987 19' camper, $200. You guys do know that the new fees for trailers are for a perminante plate. You never have to renew it as long as you own that trailer. If I keep my trailer for 4 or more years then it will be worth it. If I still replaced snowmobile trailers every 2 or 3 years like I was I would be pi$$ed.

G

·
Yes, it is a one time fee and it is based on the weight of just the trailer, not trailer and boat. When we bought our boat in May, I didn't have the trailer weight when I went to the Secretary of State office, so they could only issue me a 6 month temporary registration. I got my permanent plate this month and what do you know, I found that my trailer is just under 2500#.

Anyways, what's to stop people from just taking their plate from one boat and just throwing it on a new one? I guess you could get busted if you got pulled over, but there's no tab to expire on the plate itself... Personally I like that I don't have to renew the plate each year.

·
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't. 37 cents for a stamp is a hell of a lot cheaper than $75. When your plate was only $16. a year the increase sucks. I'll probably only keep it a couple more.

G

·
Yeah, the increase does suck. I guess I don't mind it so much because I only had a $16 6-month temp registration invested in this trailer. If I had it for several years paying $30/year and had to pony up another $200, knowing I was only going to keep it a year, I'd be p!ssed. I think that when they were doing this, they should have credited what you already spent on license fees for a current trailer.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jan 29 2004, 09:43 PM)Your trailer weighs that much???

(its trailer weight only)

Oh. Duh!

I think mine is around 1000lbs -- twin axle, rated for 5000lb load.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jan 30 2004, 09:31 AM)Anyways, what's to stop people from just taking their plate from one boat and just throwing it on a new one? I guess you could get busted if you got pulled over, but there's no tab to expire on the plate itself... Personally I like that I don't have to renew the plate each year.
As long as your new boat trailer isn't obviously over the weight of the plate that you payed for you would most likely get away with it. My camper registration however list the make and model.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I have a old 4x8' trailer that costs $75. to plate. I am cutting it up (the trailer) this weekend as it needed replacing anyway and $75. is a good enough reason to finish the job.

It is a one time only fee and they, Michigan legislature, are looking a possible transfers of plate to similar size trailers, possible prorate of tag costs if you swap trailers often, ect... Thisis far from over, but until it is, we ahve t bear the brunt (read COST) of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts