Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how Nextels receptions is on the lake. Is it just like land. Somewhat un-realiable, usually works, but has some bad areas. Has it gottne any better sense Nextel went nation wide with 2-way. I have Verizon now and it is pretty good. I want to get rid of my land line and would like to use Nextel.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

·
Registered
419 Posts
i think the consensous around here is that verizon provides the best reception and is the most reliable out on the lake. both my sister and my dad have verizon and i always end up using their phones out there b/c sprint sucks and egg - even w/ the supposed new tower on harsen's.

i am not sure how nextell performs out there, but i am sure someone will help you out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ Jul 16 2003, 11:35 AM)I have a nextel and a sprint phone..

I'll take them both out there on sunday and compare
if you are going to the moot - you won't be making too many calls w/ your sprint phone

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(4SUMFUN @ Jul 16 2003, 11:08 AM)I was wondering how Nextels receptions is on the lake. Is it just like land. Somewhat un-realiable, usually works, but has some bad areas. Has it gottne any better sense Nextel went nation wide with 2-way. I have Verizon now and it is pretty good. I want to get rid of my land line and would like to use Nextel.

Thanks for any input.

Dave
I have Nextel and it's pretty much what you said about them on land. usually works, but somewhat unreliable. I like my Nextel better than when I had Cingular.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I use my Sprint in the bay......once in awhile I get a bad spot, but 90% of the time it's good......I have more of a problem at Metro....have to step off the boat to use it. Had that problem w/Verizon, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spend a lot time at Seaway and the Nextel is pretty spastic. One minute it will have full strength and the next minute it will be searching for a signal. Don't know if it has anything to do with being so close to or in Canada. Thats really the only time I noticed it, I try to ignore the cell.... don't want to be bothered by work on those o so short weekends!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for for all you input. I try not to use a cell phone on the lake either. I really only need it to work in the un-likely event that I have boat problems and I need to call someone. So from what it sounds like Nextel is still not really ready for the lake.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(4SUMFUN @ Jul 16 2003, 10:08 AM)I was wondering how Nextels receptions is on the lake. Is it just like land. Somewhat un-realiable, usually works, but has some bad areas. Has it gottne any better sense Nextel went nation wide with 2-way. I have Verizon now and it is pretty good. I want to get rid of my land line and would like to use Nextel.

Thanks for any input.

Dave
Dave you may want to stick with Verizon. The scuttlebutt from there Troy store is Verizon will be rolling out there 2 way direct connect like service around Oct. I'll beleave it when I see it, but that is the rumor. Verizon's coverage beats Nexhell's hands down. So if it does happen and it works well Nextell may be doomed or at least a lot cheeper.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Ok.....I'm driving around here in Troy today and this guy is holding his Notell out the van window for reception so he could talk.....I laughed!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Nextel is great if in an area with good signal strength. other than that it sucked.

I am on Verizon now. Not as clear sounding but much more reliable and fewer dropped calls.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(4SUMFUN @ Jul 16 2003, 10:08 AM)I was wondering how Nextels receptions is on the lake. Is it just like land. Somewhat un-realiable, usually works, but has some bad areas. Has it gottne any better sense Nextel went nation wide with 2-way. I have Verizon now and it is pretty good. I want to get rid of my land line and would like to use Nextel.

Thanks for any input.

Dave
I call Nextel,.... No-tell !
cause no telling if it is gonna work or not !
it sucks..simple....on the water...pretty much forget it a mile offshore...unless the sky, winds, planets, and your a lucky sob, then it may work.

I have verizon now. it works good, even on the lake, harsens, port huron, st clair river, muscamoot, ...
i would reccomend verizon...
stay away from no-tell, i mean nextell...
he11 nextell barely works on land, usually try's to locate the nextell subscriber, then just dumps you to voice mail.
garbage

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Jul 17 2003, 09:17 PM)QUOTE(4SUMFUN @ Jul 16 2003, 10:08 AM) I was wondering how Nextels receptions is on the lake. Is it just like land. Somewhat un-realiable, usually works, but has some bad areas. Has it gottne any better sense Nextel went nation wide with 2-way. I have Verizon now and it is pretty good. I want to get rid of my land line and would like to use Nextel.

Thanks for any input.

Dave
Dave you may want to stick with Verizon. The scuttlebutt from there Troy store is Verizon will be rolling out there 2 way direct connect like service around Oct. I'll beleave it when I see it, but that is the rumor. Verizon's coverage beats Nexhell's hands down. So if it does happen and it works well Nextell may be doomed or at least a lot cheeper.
Pat, this is the first I heard about Verizon doing anything similar to direct connect. I thought maybe they were satisfied with their M2M dealio.

I agree though that Verizon works well on the water. Only place that I have trouble is at my harents house in the sticks of Lenox Twp. All the way up north, it works okay too, just needs to roam.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Jul 21 2003, 07:58 PM)Pat, this is the first I heard about Verizon doing anything similar to direct connect. I thought maybe they were satisfied with their M2M dealio.
Like I said I heard it from one guy at one store. I consider it a rumor at this time. How ever, at the same time this guy told me about the 2-way feature he told me about there picture phones that are also about to come out. And now they are all over Verizons press releases online. I'v been checking Verizons site monthly to see if they mention the 2 way feature. None yet.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Sprint PCS has had the photo phones for about a year now.....included in your plan is unlimited pcs to pcs cell phone usage. I take full advantage of that.....I call my daughter constantly to check on her, hehehehe. I am evil

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Well I did some digging, and Boater2Be is right. Verizon is planning on releasing something similar to DirectConnect before the end of the year. The feature is known as Press To Talk or PTT. The only problem though, is that Nextel has now registered and trademarked that name, so Verizon will probably not be using that!

Currently, Verizon has a lawsuit against Nextel, alleging that they hacked into their mobile network using illegal equipment, to find out what they were planning for their version of PTT.

Verizon is closely guarding their claim to fame, which will be buddy lists on the phones, allowing users to see if their friends are available. This will make up for that fact that Verizon's PTT communication will be a little slower, since the network is much bigger.

That's what I heard!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have Sprint and it works most of the time on the lake. I had missed calls last time I was out there, so the reception must have been working. I dialed out later and the reception wasn't perfect, but it worked compared to my old cingular. We too have the free Sprint to Sprint calls, I like it way better than a 2 way radio, you can have a real conversation.
Also, doesn't Verizon charge a per minute thing on voice mail? you get charged minutes for people leaving voicemails for you??

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I used to use a nextell when I was an electrician. We did alot of work on Harsen's Island and decided they should be called "Next Hell".The two way rarely worked and the phone would only work if you stood on the roof of the house we were working on, the antenna up, a 6 foot or longer 14/2 wire held high with your other hand and your left foot elevated about 2-1/2 feet.
And oh yeah, you had to be facing to the south before you hit "send".
Other than that, it wasn't a bad phone

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ Jul 22 2003, 01:55 AM)QUOTE(Capt'n Mike @ Jul 21 2003, 07:58 PM) Pat, this is the first I heard about Verizon doing anything similar to direct connect. I thought maybe they were satisfied with their M2M dealio.
Like I said I heard it from one guy at one store. I consider it a rumor at this time. How ever, at the same time this guy told me about the 2-way feature he told me about there picture phones that are also about to come out. And now they are all over Verizons press releases online. I'v been checking Verizons site monthly to see if they mention the 2 way feature. None yet.
I heard the same when I bought my verizon. Only I heard it was supposed to happen as early as August

1 - 20 of 22 Posts