Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after logging on last night and answering a few fishin' questions, I got the itch to get out and fish, since the called-for showers never arrived. Turned out to be a great night to drop a line. A buddy and I were out at about 11pm-4:30am.

We trolled (by troll, I mean casting from shore and walking the shoreline) the breakwall from the Ambassador Bridge to just before Ouellette ave. (DR). My buddy caught 2 rock bass and lost a nice fish while walking the shoreline. I got nothin'!

After our legs tired from the walking, we tried just casting from a spot we had both never tried before that had lots of 'structure'
near it, in pretty shallow water (not sure how deep, but you could just about see bottom). We saw quite a few gar pike, nice smallies, and what I believed to be a good-sized musky swim by. Right away, my buddy had a NICE smallie follow, but couldn't get him to bite. "Good", I thought, "at least there's fish here." Every so often, we could see swarms of what looked like bass (?) swimming and jumping out of the water, basically going crazy, so I tried a floating rapala to try and get a bite. Soon after, SPLASH, and I reel up a small, eater sized 'eye!
Thought for sure it was gonna be a bass, but it turned out that wally was feeding and harrassing the fish, causing them to go crazy. How do I know this? Well, the first fish came at about 2am, and for the next hour, nothing but a few SMALL bass (the size of my rapala) and really nothing going on in the water. Then, around 3am, the activity picked up again; swarms of fish jumping and splashing on top of the water. I tell my buddy, "The fish are being harrassed again, I'm gonna get another walleye!" kinda of just joking around, but literally 2 minutes later I got another, what I would say an average, (2-3lbs) wally!
Have never caught 2 in a night before from shore (thanks to THIS site, I've got the bug again and put in the time! lol), so I was pretty psyched. We saw a few other 'eyes swim by, but nothing after that. Both fish came on a top water rapala in natural minnow style/colours. I'd cast, then let it float up; both hits came while it was sitting on top. Got some nice freezer meat for the next few days!
Anyways, a few tips for the shore fishers then: When you see swarms of fish splashing/jumping, FISH THERE! I used to think that they were bass feeding on bugs, but it could be 'eyes feeding on smaller fish (ps: what I thought were bass could've been shad?), causing the smaller ones to go crayz. Both fish came during this activity. Water was VERY shallow.
Anyways, sorry for the long post, just wanted to post my first report as a member, as well as try and give a few tips for the avid shore fisherman. I've now gotten 5 'eyes from shore this summer, which I feel pretty good about! I know some of you 'don't believe 'till there's pictures,' so I'll try and take a few with my phone. Thanks to all for the tips, and for putting the fire in my belly again!

PS: I hope it was nobody on this site, but some idiot was flying around the river last night at a GOOD clip without ANY lights on his boat. We could hear him often, but had to search REAL hard to find him. Not a good idea...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Good stuff Barnz. I have been looking into this area also but have not tried at night for eye's....YET. Now I have even more reason and my speculations seem to be correct now, and that is eyes are coming up shallow here to feed. Probably not a huge concentration, only a scattered few, but this should confirm it. I've been going around Centennial park on my lunch and have been catching Smallies, Sheeps and big rogue White Bass. I went there at night on Friday night for a 'walk' around 12am and noticed a complete difference in activity, without even having my rod this time. As you stated, the fish feeding activity had increased 10 fold. Large schools of Gar Pike and White Bass, Perch and Smallies feeding on small schools of minnows tight to the boulder/drop off edge. You have to figure that the eye's are right down below. The area I was around had some overhead lighting which allowed me to see most of these fish but I can assume in those long stretches of shoreline that contain those huge boulders, w/ deep drop off, are holding even more fish. Hell, you might see me down there in the next few nights around your time-frame tossing out some jigs. I have been checking the shoreline maps recently and just came to notice how deep the water actually tucks up against the shoreline in this one lil area. There is tons of cover down there also. Besides all the old log pilings, you can see the huge boulders throught-out the shoreline. I guess those were placed, I forget how long ago, for Smallmouth bass habitat (and some shoreline animals). Some of those big boulders must have rolled down the edge making for some good current blocking structure. What I need to do is find the location of a couple of those big boulders down there so I can have a few targets to hit......but I have a feeling they are running up and down this section all night long, shallow to deep. And it sure has been crystal clear for the past week..I really think this is a factor in the activity there. I do my best Walleye fishing from 12am-3am in mid-summer when the water has a vis factor of more then 5'. This spot lately has been, what, 10'?

Keep the reports coming. If I hear one more I'll be down there asap lol

Good work~!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peks,

Everything you said/suspect sounds bang-on. I think there may be several good spots like this to fish at night, though not too sure about the depth change at the 'other' places.

You just may see me out there in the coming nights!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Jul 28 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peks,

Everything you said/suspect sounds bang-on. I think there may be several good spots like this to fish at night, though not too sure about the depth change at the 'other' places.

I am so unfamiliar with this whole area. I have always put all my effort into the Upper DR in the past few years, so this section is now going to GET IT for a while. Trial and Error folks, that's how it's done. Shore fishing like this is not about catch numbers, but kinda like tourny fishing...always just looking for a couple good bites and that's it.

See you around.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 28 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(barnz @ Jul 28 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peks,

I am so unfamiliar with this whole area. I have always put all my effort into the Upper DR in the past few years, so this section is now going to GET IT for a while. Trial and Error folks, that's how it's done. Shore fishing like this is not about catch numbers, but kinda like tourny fishing...always just looking for a couple good bites and that's it.

See you around.

Absolutely. You'll rarely get numbers from shore (heck, I fish maybe twice a week and have gotten just 5 since early June), but with a little trial and error, you can locate them and get one here and there. It just makes it that much more rewarding/worthwhile. Knowing their tendencies doesn't hurt either...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Exactly. There are walleye that feed all night in 30fow, and then there are walleye that cruise shorelines, not affraid to venture in the clearest, shallowest water (adjacent to deep water). It's an aggessive fish. Casting for eye's, IMO, is the ultimate when targeting Walleye.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used to cast for walleye alot on the SCR. Sure is fun and they actually hit hard and fight, not like jiggin or pullin harnesses.

Here a tip for you:

Use a flash light to locate walleye at night. Then cast out in front of where u saw them. Their eyes light up pretty good. I should say just "eye" cause u will only see one. The fish will most likley be parallel to shore. U'll only see 2 eyes if they r swimming toward u. Try not to keep the light on them for too long cause it will cause them to go into deeper water. It takes some time to figure out what it looks like. If u see a small white spot sittin still in the current or moving up stream slowly, its probly a walleye. I like the LED head band lights, they worked pretty well for me.
Good luck,
Jerry

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(jigginjerry @ Jul 28 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to cast for walleye alot on the SCR. Sure is fun and they actually hit hard and fight, not like jiggin or pullin harnesses.

Here a tip for you:

Use a flash light to locate walleye at night. Then cast out in front of where u saw them. Their eyes light up pretty good. I should say just "eye" cause u will only see one. The fish will most likley be parallel to shore. U'll only see 2 eyes if they r swimming toward u. Try not to keep the light on them for too long cause it will cause them to go into deeper water. It takes some time to figure out what it looks like. If u see a small white spot sittin still in the current or moving up stream slowly, its probly a walleye. I like the LED head band lights, they worked pretty well for me.
Good luck,
Jerry

I would love to get up the SCR one day to cast for them. I've heard the flashlight tip before, but never tried it. I should. Good tip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts