Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all knew I would
, I made it out for a few hours last night from 11pm-2:30am on the DR for some wally's. The west wind made it really tough to cast cranks as I prefer to do, so my bud and I resorted to trolling the breakwall(s) east of the Ambassador Bridge. Caught an unusually high number of rock bass and small mouth, and again, I lost an 'eye pulling her over the rail--I struggled to get her over being rather large, she just hung there for long enough for me to envy, then plop--c'est la vie. This one was a REAL PIG, I'm guessing 4-5 lbs (much bigger than the 1.5-2lbers we've been getting). I've now lost 3 wally's pulling them over the rail since I last caught a couple about 10 days ago.

At least I know they're still coming in close, so it wasn't a total loss. Hopefully the wind dies down just a bit today and I can be back at 'er tonight. I know I didn't get any fish 'in the boat', but I've fished the DR pretty hard since May, and the last few weeks now have been the best I've seen as far as 'Eye action. Just so ya know...

BTW, fish hooked (man, that sounds unfortunate!) was on a gold 1/4 jig and white Gulp! Alive minnow grub.

Telescoping net advice? lol

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Crappy dude! lol Hopefully sometime next week I can find some time and we'll meet up and give it a shot. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few.

How are you bringing up your eyes? I've been swinging up 5lb eye's with 10lb mono over a 8 foot wall, over at Lakeview Marina.....it's all in the swinging motion you give...as in, with the momentum I put on the fish, I put all the force into getting the fish up the first 4-5 feet...the fish should follow suit and the rest of the momentum should get her over the wall....took practice
but I have it down good. I've watched my boys lost in a daze on how to do it......so lemme know how exactly you are doing it and maybe I can provide a tip. Unless you're holding the eye str8 down for a while.....it should be a very quick 'landing'. Lemme know...

PS..like my boi said, C.T. on Walker road has telescopic nets. He has one he uses for the Lakeview Marina wall, not too expensive either...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Aug 21 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Crappy dude! lol Hopefully sometime next week I can find some time and we'll meet up and give it a shot. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few.

How are you bringing up your eyes? I've been swinging up 5lb eye's with 10lb mono over a 8 foot wall, over at Lakeview Marina.....it's all in the swinging motion you give...as in, with the momentum I put on the fish, I put all the force into getting the fish up the first 4-5 feet...the fish should follow suit and the rest of the momentum should get her over the wall....took practice
but I have it down good. I've watched my boys lost in a daze on how to do it......so lemme know how exactly you are doing it and maybe I can provide a tip. Unless you're holding the eye str8 down for a while.....it should be a very quick 'landing'. Lemme know...

PS..like my boi said, C.T. on Walker road has telescopic nets. He has one he uses for the Lakeview Marina wall, not too expensive either...

To be honest with you, I just try and lift 'em up! lol Never gave it much thought.
I'm thinking I should try and let the fish tire itself out a bit before bringing it up? Maybe then it will stop the thrashing once it's out of the water? I dunno...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Aug 21 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Aug 21 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Crappy dude! lol Hopefully sometime next week I can find some time and we'll meet up and give it a shot. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few.

To be honest with you, I just try and lift 'em up! lol Never gave it much thought.
I'm thinking I should try and let the fish tire itself out a bit before bringing it up? Maybe then it will stop the thrashing once it's out of the water? I dunno...

Yes, there is definately a lil more then just lifting it up, especially trying to lift it completely verticle. One head shake and the fish should easily get off. I swing my fish from right to left, with a big sweep. IF done right, your fish should land about 10 feet away from you

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If you have a small short handled net, get a piece of white pvc and bolt it to the handle. Get a fish in the net and pull it straight up like you are pulling up an anchor and you won't break anything.

Screw the swinging fish method, unless yer a bass guy.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Aug 21 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you have a small short handled net, get a piece of white pvc and bolt it to the handle. Get a fish in the net and pull it straight up like you are pulling up an anchor and you won't break anything.

Screw the swinging fish method, unless yer a bass guy.

Umm...swinging a fish is the technique used when there is no net available. So, if you didn't have a net, how would you get a 4lb walleye up and over a 10 foot wall?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You just have to gear up accordingly. I dont like dragging a net around when I go to a couple of my spots, I like to pack as light as possible. I can't remember the last time I lost an eye swingin' it lol I've done it with'em up to around 5-6lbs....using 10lb BIG GAME trilene <----

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.