Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out a few times this weekend. Fished the usual spots in the DR, breakwalls east of the Ambassador Bridge. Was out Friday from 11pm-1am, and managed just one smallmouth. I was by myself and rather tired, so I didn't stay out late. Fish came on a white 1/4 ounce jig and Gulp! Alive minnow grub (white), just walkin' along the wall.

Got out last night from 10pm-3am, and the weather was perfect--no wind at all, which made casting cranks from my fav spot a go (it's been pretty hard to cast with the west wind this past week, which is why I just trolled the breakwall). I was meeting a friend down there, and I landed 2 'eyes by 10:45, before he even showed up! First fish came on about my 10th cast, the other about 10 minutes after that. Quickly got some meat back in my freezer after having the in-laws over for a walleye lunch yesterday (their first--they LOVED IT!). Thought it was shaping up to be a PB night for me from shore, but not a thing the rest of the way. My bud showed up laughing that I already had two! Both fish came on a shallow rapala, natural minnow colours, suspending model. Shallow water close to shore.

After my bud showed up, we fished at that spot for another hour or so with nothing. We trolled the breakwalls back towards another spot we like, and got nothing along the way. We arrived at the other spot where we like to cast from, and within about 20 minutes, my buddy landed one of his own. 3 'eyes between us, tying our best shore night from about 2 weeks ago. After nothing for a while, we walked back towards our car, and my buddy again lands a nice smallmouth trolling the wall, probably pushing 3lbs. We had a nice bag o' fish when we left. Both his fish came on a diving rapala in natural colours. All 'eyes were about the same size, 16-19'. Great night to be out, and I'm lookin' forward to the fall!

As a side note, my fireline issues seem to be temporarily resolved. I cut off a good chunk of line last week, and have since tied a DOUBLE palomar knot--seems to be back to it's 'normal' strength, whether it was bad/frayed line, new knot, or whatever...and no trouble landing fish last night!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Aug 24 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You try any swingin'? lol

LOL! Naw, my friend's fiance ain't that type!

Actually, I paid special attention to NOT have the fish dangling vertical, as you advised. So yeah, more a sweeping motion over the rail. Also, I was using cranks, which I have more confidence in pulling fish over the rail with due to the multiple treble hooks--they usually hook 'em pretty good! I also slowed down my retrieve a bit, letting the fish tire a bit more so it wasn't so crazy right at my feet. I've only lost one fish all year on cranks, and most of my 'drop offs' have come on jigs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.