Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone clear this up, please. I just heard on a fishing report that you are not allowed to have beer cans on your boat while fishing in Canadian waters, and the officers are giving tickets of over $100 per empty they find on your boat.
Is this correct??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(Brett_68 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

and a pumpout head and as stated must be anchored or docked never under power. to be technical not supposed to have any beverages on boat if no pumpout head to discourage peeing in the lake. they mainly crack down on alcohol because of the amount of consumption whos more likely to use the lake as a toilet the guy who drank a 12 pack or the guy who had a bottle of water, pop , etc

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Brett_68 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

and a pumpout head and as stated must be anchored or docked never under power. to be technical not supposed to have any beverages on boat if no pumpout head to discourage peeing in the lake. they mainly crack down on alcohol because of the amount of consumption whos more likely to use the lake as a toilet the guy who drank a 12 pack or the guy who had a bottle of water, pop , etc

Well, while were on the topic of fines, can they get you for peein' in the lake too?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(scottp @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Brett_68 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

Well, while were on the topic of fines, can they get you for peein' in the lake too?

yes it was 65 dollars not sure what it is this year. thats the reason for pumpout heads porta potty can be dumped over the side of the boat

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(scottp @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Brett_68 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

Hmm, I'm not sure on that one?
But you do need a Non Resident Fishing License, an Outdoors Card and now a Pleasure Craft Operators Card, and God knows what else, more here:

http://boating.ncf.ca/fish.html

For me it's not worth all the BS, Canadian fish don't fight any better or taste any better anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scottp @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Brett_68 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

yes it was 65 dollars not sure what it is this year

Is that US waters, Canadian waters, both??

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yeep, you must be anchored, have a bathroom and 'kitchen' on board, to legally be allowed to consume your alcohol. I have no problems with it. I hate hearing about people fishing and drinking away. I mean, do you do that while you are driving down the highway too? And if not, what makes being out on the water different? The potential of dying or killing someone seems a little greater being on the water.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The $100 per can fine is B.S. Everything else is accurate in that you are not supposed to have beer on the boat unless you have the things mentioned. I have a cottage in Mitchell's Bay so I have experienced the no beer law. I was not aware of this when I first started fishing over there. Got checked by the OPP one time and had an open beer. He told me the law, said don't be stupid about having beer on the boat as these will be the people who get tickets and sent me on my way. Ice fishing I have had similar experiences. I never knew it was illegal to have beer on the ice but according to the CO this year you can't have open containers in the open away from your residence. He gave me a choice of a $125 ticket or dump out the open containers. I never have anything more than just a few beers to enjoy during the day and I guess it just depends on what officer you run up against and what kind of mood they are in.

Laura, I agree the fish don't taste any better over there but it sure is nice to have some options and see some different water sometimes. I think something like 2/3rds of the lake is canadian water so there is a lot of exploring to do. Not to mention that without the canadian license I wouldn't be able to troll the south shore for musky, get those jumbos ice fishing or hammer the steelies over in Erieau!!!
I agree that they sure do hit you for the non resident licenses though. Not to mention that the canadian side is the only place you can go and catch "pickerel"!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 17 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For me it's not worth all the BS, Canadian fish don't fight any better or taste any better anyway.

They don't fight any better, but - Canadian smallmouth generally contain no jet-skiers, sailboats, 3 foot wake from 40 foot Sea Rays.....

With very few exceptions, I abandon US waters for the rest of the year as soon as the Canadian season opens.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(scottp @ Jun 17 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scottp @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Brett_68 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup...illegal to have beer on your boat in canada....unless u have a boat with sleeping arrangements...then u must be anchored to consume it.

yes it was 65 dollars not sure what it is this year

Is that US waters, Canadian waters, both??

i dont think you can pee in public anywhere legally at the least its indecent exposure. that goes for land or sea im sure if you jump in the water its hard to prove you peed but over the side of the boat might lead to problems

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jun 17 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 17 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For me it's not worth all the BS, Canadian fish don't fight any better or taste any better anyway.

They don't fight any better, but - Canadian smallmouth generally contain no jet-skiers, sailboats, 3 foot wake from 40 foot Sea Rays.....

With very few exceptions, I abandon US waters for the rest of the year as soon as the Canadian season opens.

Good point! Believe it or not there are days out there where I can hardly see another boat anywhere.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The "head" must be permanent. No porta-potty's.

And yes you can get a ticket on the US side for illegal dumping (no pun intended) if you use the lake as a toilet. They would have to see you do it though.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
I don't see it being too long before they 86 drinking on the lake all together IMO. Drinking and boating in most cases not a great mix, or why not just open up drinking and driving a car, same thing different surface.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yeah I don't see a reason why they shouldn't ban it all together. Granted the majority of the people who are fishing don't get out of hand with it but there are a lot of accidents on the water that are caused by alcohol. And it becomes more of a chance for a death when on the water. Me personally I don't drink while operating my car or my boat. But I will drive a person who is drinking in either situation. Me personally I don't drink period when I am on the water. I am out there for the enjoyment of being on the water and fishing. If I want to drink I can do that in the comfort of my home.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The "head" must be permanent. No porta-potty's.

And yes you can get a ticket on the US side for illegal dumping (no pun intended) if you use the lake as a toilet. They would have to see you do it though.

And if you do it right, nobody knows, not even the guy in the boat 25 feet away

1 - 20 of 54 Posts