Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a map that shows the no wake zones on the grand river?

I remember some posts last year about how hard it is to know where the zones are and people blowing through them during the BFL event

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ill have to double check to be sure but I do believe they are posted on a HOTSPOTS MAP. Be sure that U do know where they are, locally people have been DQ'd for blowing them. They are also marked in the river itself and if you are brave enough there ae some short cuts to avoid them!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would check with the local partol there. The hot spots map do show some, but it may not show all the current ones. There are also some (or at least there used to be) that are marked in the river that are not real.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
jcooper....I think the one short cut is called Indian cut. Logs and crap laying all through it....Keep that baby trimmed out!!!!!! Spin out and end up in the woods!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been fishing out of riverside park for about 5 years and it never fails that every year I have to remember what markers mean what. I found the best way is to look for the now wake signs that are on the shore. Those signs never change. You can take indian channel however in mid-summer the water gets low, as long as you stay in the middle you will be just fine. Some of the tournaments over here allow you to run thru what they call the "wild side" that is taking the long way around. It is much deeper and as I have been told as long as you stay on the far right side its ok. The wild side thing I could be wrong about but pre-tournament meetings have said ok. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this same question a few years ago, and I found that if you stop the Sheriff out there he has maps that he will gladly give you showing the now wake zones, and yes the Indian channel will bypass a lot of no wake but I dont know if I would take a chance on it being the water levels have been so low in the last few years, if I remember right its a little tricky at the exit, but if you do the indian channel it will put you out in view of spring lake entrance, and all of that is no wake, then in spring lake its now wake until you get past the second bouy going in if I remember correctly.

see you on the water

Rich

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent an email to the ottawa county sheriff asking for one of the maps you mentioned

if they send me one I will post a copy of it

·
Registered
927 Posts
i seen some things, scary things, over there last season. i fished the grand a few times and if there isnt a tournament going on not too many people obey the no wake zone.

i got passed in every no wake zone by boats still going 30 - 60 mph. even the big tuna boats.

we had to pull two boats out of the indian short cut channel deal thingy also. you really have to watch it in there. its about a foot deep everywhere but directly over the channel.

in the bfl tourney last season i seen a few boats that almost got rear ended at the first no wake zone. it is funny to see all those boats racing for a 1/8 of a mile and then shutting down once in the zone. whats not funny is the boats behind them who dont shut down in time. thats a scary thing when you hear those boats coming full throttle behind you only to see the boats that are lined up with you almost get nailed by inexpereinced boaters.

i was very surprised to hear there were no accidents in that tourney.

madman himself

·
Registered
90 Posts
I remember that bfl tournament. I fished as a co-angler and it was a really foggy morning. What made things worse for me is that me boater thought it would be a good idea to run half the channel and the decide that we would fish until the fog lifted, just about got hit 3 times (thought I was going to die). Anyway, I think the real problem is that none of these tournament directors really know how the no-wakes lay out. As far as indian channel you MUST STAY IN THE MIDDLE or you may not have a boat left. I believe that any tournament that is run out of riverside needs to have a map (updated) showing the markers. In a perfect world the rap would have a map posted for everyone with all the rules. Someone will get hurt soon if things dont change.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I remember the fog.
Crazy man. I am surprised there were no accidents. Good drivers taking it easy. You needed a radar. There should have been a delay.
I put a way-point at each no wake in the river on my GPS. This solved my no wake zone problem. In pre-fish I recheck them to make sure they are all still on the money.
I also use the cut off and have not had a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a warning to all those who blow the no wake, remember that the tounaments are registered with the state and the DNR and Sheriff are looking to hit you with those tickets out there, especially since the state budget is in short comings they are trying to get the money somewhere and if it come to nailing tounament anglers I wouldnt be surprised. so watch your backs, as for the launch at riverside I think that they should launch at the city ramp, it not as good as riverside but,

1. your at the entrance to Lake Michigan and Spring Lake, that way the fog wont play havac with the running of the grand, plus from my understanding the grand hasnt been totally on lately anyways, so this way it opens up lake michigan with out the 35 min no wakes and spring is about 5 min of no wake and if you run back up river I think you wont have that much company following you through the fog.

just my thoughts but they will probably always use riverside unless we voice our opinions and let them know that its dangerous.

See you on the water

Rich

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I know the Grand as well as anyone and if you want you can bring a map by and I will be glad to mark them all for you. I can also mark some hidden stumps, rocks and problem areas I know.

When running Indian Channel there is a trick to it. You must start hard on the left side and run 10 feet off the stumps, then 2/3 way down the channel slide out to the middle of the channel.... as you approach the sharp 45 turn ahead quickly slide back to the right side just left of the stump. Shortly after the big turn you can open it right up with out any worries. If you run straight down the middle the whole way you will regret it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts