Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
A co-worker of mine recently got a ticket for making wake outside of Jacks in SCS. the officer told him that he had to be 600ft from shore before taking off. The only problem is there is no buoy so how would someone know this? Is this a written rule somewhere?

I am only asking because he is a responsible boater and is really upset about this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 31 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's commonly referred to as the 200/600 rule. You can find more info on the LSCN home page, listed under no wake zones.

I just checked it. Is there anything my co-worker can do? I printed that for him to keep in his boat in case this happens again. I just hate to see him pay a 125 dollar ticket that he doesn't deserve.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
It would be nice if there was a DEFINITIVE list of the "no-wake" zones. I did not think the 200/600 rule applied to the area around JBM (and I've been there for years), but that it was just the state 100 foot rule that applied to all boats....

....however....

Looking this up today on the DNR site, here's the language that I could find...

[/size]LAKE ST. CLAIR AND CHANNELS - R281.750.6 - Slow--no wake speed.

6. On those waters of Lake St. Clair and natural and artificial canals connecting thereto, city of St. Clair Shores, county of Macomb, state of Michigan, west of a line from a point beginning at the city line between St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Shores at the water's edge, thence 070º true 1,300 feet, thence 340º true 6,500 feet, thence 000º true 7,500 feet more or less to a point due east of the foot of 11 Mile road, thence 270º true 1,300 feet more or less to shoreline of Lake St. Clair at the foot of said 11 Mile road being latitude 42º29.8'N, no operator of any motorboat shall exceed a slow--no wake speed.

This means that the no wake area is 1300 feet from shore from GP to 11 Mile!!! (for ALL boats).

Anyone read this differently?? Anyone know a DEFINITIVE site for the "no wake" areas??

·
Registered
310 Posts
The 600 ft thing is a county rule. And, no, they do not always have markers. I think your friend is hosed. See the attached file from the Anchor Bay Yacht site or something like that.

I think the wording in the previous post gives the start/end coordinates for the zone.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(CMB @ Jul 31 2009, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A co-worker of mine recently got a ticket for making wake outside of Jacks in SCS. the officer told him that he had to be 600ft from shore before taking off. The only problem is there is no buoy so how would someone know this? Is this a written rule somewhere?

I am only asking because he is a responsible boater and is really upset about this.

The ticket should have the law/ordinance/rule written on it.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
There's a hodge-podge of ordinances around the lake. Hell, driving down the detroit river, there are 6 different no-wake laws to be aware of in different areas. It's just plain unreasonable to expect any recreational boater to remember all of them.

But for the most part, St Clair Shores might stop you for some revenue, but elsewhere you'll probably just get a warning and a once-over to make sure you're not drunk or stupid. Unless, of course, you're blatantly violating something that you SHOULD know (ie: way too close to shore, or a marked no-wake).

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I have always been aware of the 600 foot rule but 1300 must be local.
They have recently placed the no wakers out in front of jacks/jbm. There was just a thread on that. Also the marina at 11 mile has them placed well for the 600 foot rule.
And SCS hasn't had a marine division in years.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I had never heard of the 1300' part either, but if you look at the chart that BigZ posted, the 1300 feet starts from the land border between SCS and GP, which is set inland a bit. I did not realize it also applied to the area up by 11 Mile Rd.

I looked all around for references to the 600' for MaComb county and still can't find anything... can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Aug 4 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had never heard of the 1300' part either, but if you look at the chart that BigZ posted, the 1300 feet starts from the land border between SCS and GP, which is set inland a bit. I did not realize it also applied to the area up by 11 Mile Rd.

I looked all around for references to the 600' for MaComb county and still can't find anything... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Maybe this?

Matt

Macomb County and St Clair County

LAKE ST. CLAIR AND CHANNELS - R281.750.6 - Slow--no wake speed.

6. On those waters of Lake St. Clair and natural and artificial canals connecting thereto, city of St. Clair Shores, county of Macomb, state of Michigan, west of a line from a point beginning at the city line between St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Shores at the water's edge, thence 070º true 1,300 feet, thence 340º true 6,500 feet, thence 000º true 7,500 feet more or less to a point due east of the foot of 11 Mile road, thence 270º true 1,300 feet more or less to shoreline of Lake St. Clair at the foot of said 11 Mile road being latitude 42º29.8'N, no operator of any motorboat shall exceed a slow--no wake speed.

History: Eff. May 15, 1968

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
TCG - the first link is where I got the info I posted earlier about the SCS no wake boundaries. The other link references the 200/600 ft rule, but that only applies to the St Clair river and Flats area.

Interestingly, there is this section too:
CLINTON RIVER - R281.750.9 - Speed restriction.9. On the waters of Lake St. Clair and the Clinton river, Harrison township, Macomb county, state of Michigan, westward from the easterly ends of the Clinton river breakwater, no operator of any motorboat shall exceed a slow--no wake speed, which means a very slow speed whereby the wake or wash created by the motorboat would be minimal.

Which pretty much means that ALL of LSC from ~14 mile to M-59 (or whatever is the northern edge of Harrison Twp), is NO WAKE, as it is ALL "westward from the easterly ends of the Clinton River breakwater".... (that would include you guys coming out of Beacon Cove, too, right??
)

Don't know if that has EVER been enforced that was, or if it was even intended... but that's the way I read it literally!

·
Registered
310 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Aug 4 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>TCG - the first link is where I got the info I posted earlier about the SCS no wake boundaries. The other link references the 200/600 ft rule, but that only applies to the St Clair river and Flats area.

CLINTON RIVER - R281.750.9 - Speed restriction.9. On the waters of Lake St. Clair and the Clinton river, Harrison township, Macomb county, state of Michigan, westward from the easterly ends of the Clinton river breakwater, no operator of any motorboat shall exceed a slow--no wake speed, which means a very slow speed whereby the wake or wash created by the motorboat would be minimal.

Which pretty much means that ALL of LSC from ~14 mile to M-59 (or whatever is the northern edge of Harrison Twp), is NO WAKE, as it is ALL "westward from the easterly ends of the Clinton River breakwater".... (that would include you guys coming out of Beacon Cove, too, right??
)

Don't know if that has EVER been enforced that was, or if it was even intended... but that's the way I read it literally!

I think you're stretching it a bit, but that does read kind of funny. I know what they intended, but it's not really clear from what they wrote.

Regarding the other rules around SCS, the rules are there but are rarely enforced . I've seen some occasions of folks getting pulled over for blasting out of the channels along the nautical mile, but enforcement is sporadic, unless the boater is a true D Bag. So I think the law boats only look for the true idiots. They are pretty lenient considering all the traffic. As they should be unless someone is a total jerk.

Not sure it even matters, from other recent posts it seems that people know of the no-wake rules but will only obey them if they can't outrun the cops. Or if everyone else does it, it is ok; unless someone lives there, then they might slow down.

As long as they give other boaters in the area some consideration that is good enough for me.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(BigZ @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Aug 4 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>TCG - the first link is where I got the info I posted earlier about the SCS no wake boundaries. The other link references the 200/600 ft rule, but that only applies to the St Clair river and Flats area.

)

I think you're stretching it a bit, but that does read kind of funny. I know what they intended, but it's not really clear from what they wrote.

Regarding the other rules around SCS, the rules are there but are rarely enforced . I've seen some occasions of folks getting pulled over for blasting out of the channels along the nautical mile, but enforcement is sporadic, unless the boater is a true D Bag. So I think the law boats only look for the true idiots. They are pretty lenient considering all the traffic. As they should be unless someone is a total jerk.

Not sure it even matters, from other recent posts it seems that people know of the no-wake rules but will only obey them if they can't outrun the cops. Or if everyone else does it, it is ok; unless someone lives there, then they might slow down.

As long as they give other boaters in the area some consideration that is good enough for me.

That does read funny and have to agree w/ BigZ I'm also considerate of incoming when leaving.

I did have some (insert adjetive) in a Conquest I believe come in North at Beacon only 100 ft off the seawall and shut down litterly at the gas sign. I was just coming out and yes it peeves me

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wish I knew how to use that quote thing......Anyway, the 1300 foot rule applies essentially from the entrance to the Grosse Pointe Woods Park/Shore Club Harbor to 11 Mile road. It's to keep knuckleheads from crashing into boats entering or leaving any of the harbors. I'm at Shore Club, and am the last boat before the lake. I spend half my week-ends yelling at aforementioned knuckleheads who insist on entering the harbor while on plane, and then flip me off for yelling. I agree the no wake zones can be confusing, but as responsible boaters, we are obligated to know where they are.
Enough preaching, I'm off to the boat...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(dgboats @ Aug 5 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wish I knew how to use that quote thing......Anyway, the 1300 foot rule applies essentially from the entrance to the Grosse Pointe Woods Park/Shore Club Harbor to 11 Mile road. It's to keep knuckleheads from crashing into boats entering or leaving any of the harbors. I'm at Shore Club, and am the last boat before the lake. I spend half my week-ends yelling at aforementioned knuckleheads who insist on entering the harbor while on plane, and then flip me off for yelling. I agree the no wake zones can be confusing, but as responsible boaters, we are obligated to know where they are.
Enough preaching, I'm off to the boat...

In the future just hit quote and then reply and I believe you have a point there. There are many marinas in that stretch of the lake. We used to be @ 11 mile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.