Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up Wednesday around 7am. Traditional stop at Jay's and then on to the cabin by 12. Brought an old buddy from school that grew up in Hawaii and now lives in Nevada. He was not hunting but instead wanted to hit the lake for some gills and perch to take home. He filled his cooler, cooked dinner every night, and even dragged my deer out.
He will always be invited back.
You have to put in for a draw to get a doe permit for even private land up there and I did last year and this year with success. Last year I decided to save the does for muzzleloader season and passed on several during bow. Well when I went for muzzleloader season they already had 18 inches of snow and the deer were not moving. This year I am skipping the muzzleloader season up there so it was time to fill the tag. Thursday was beautiful and I saw a couple of does but could not get a clean shot. Friday and Saturday were a blowout with windy and rainy conditions. I did get out for the last couple of hours Saturday and saw two more does but again no shot. This morning I hit the stand early and the conditions were perfect, dead deer, went fifty yards and the meat was mine.
I was actually about to give up since my buddy had to be back at the airport in time to make abusiness meeting(hence the formal dress in the deer pic
). It was 8:20am and the coffee had made its way through me so I stood up and started watering the grass when I saw a head snap up at the sound of water falling twenty feet out of a tree.
I pinched it off and started cursing myself out but the deer did not care or see me and continued to come in. It was a fawn so I looked around for mama who happened to be coming down a different trail right at my stand. I let her come in to about 15 yards and then sent her soule to heaven and her body to my dinner table.
Would have like to get more hunting in but the point of the trip was to bring a baldy home and I accomplished that so no complaints. Time to hit my farms now and get on with the killing spree!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Great story, Nice doe.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
congrats on the doe tony. now get out there and get a trophy buck!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
WTG on the doe!

I also was up just north of reed city and saw lots of doe some had fawns so i let them keep mama around.
I was holding on a pair of three year olds that just would not come in that ten feet i needed to make a clean shot, saw the pair twice with no fawns so I'm going to target them next time up.
No buck came in but i have spotted 4 the last two trips up before this trip so with some luck.
besides i still have meat from last year.
BB

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Bugeyes @ Oct 9 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cant believe you would shoot a doe with a fawn, your inhumane! LOL just kidding, nice job on the last minute doe. Its not easy up in the woods of Evart, theres cougars everywhere!

Most of the cougars in that area stick to the local bars. Stay out of town and you will be alright.
As far as the doe and fawn thing I did feel bad for the little girl so I was gonna send an arrow at her to end her misery but she got out of range to quick.

·
Registered
218 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Oct 9 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bugeyes @ Oct 9 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cant believe you would shoot a doe with a fawn, your inhumane! LOL just kidding, nice job on the last minute doe. Its not easy up in the woods of Evart, theres cougars everywhere!

Most of the cougars in that area stick to the local bars. Stay out of town and you will be alright.
As far as the doe and fawn thing I did feel bad for the little girl so I was gonna send an arrow at her to end her misery but she got out of range to quick.

Im headed doe hunting tonight in Webberville, Ill give you a report at dark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts