Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!, getting a week off sometime around late may early june
planning on renting a cabin for the entire week if i can find a productive lake.
looking for perch, bass, catfish, pike etc, something to fish for all hours of the night while by a campfire and a radio.
price doesnt really matter, but i probably will have to find a rental boat as well, expecting to pay appx $900 - $1200 for lodging and possible boat for the week.
can anyone highly recommend a place you have been before?
i was considering the mullet lake area, but anything you all could tell me would really help.
p.s. its been a while since i found a nice catfish lake!!!

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Landings on Indian River is an excellent place to stay that I've been too. (in between burt/mullet lakes right on the riverfront) (cabins-small to large, campfire pit, boat slip, general store, next to town, cable TV, furnished kitchen, shower etc...) They have smallmouth, pike, walleye. Reasonable rates and excellent accomidations. Not 100% sure about a boat rental though, but I think you can rent one there or close.

http://www.mich-web.com/landings/

·
Registered
188 Posts
I checked out the website and you can rent fishing boats w/motors for a day, 3days, or week. Pretty good prices. Not a big boat, but a fishing boat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i sent them a email asking about availability and to see if they had any cabins "off the beaten path"
the boats look great and are cheap from what i have seen from other places

thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't know about catfish, but you should see the bullheads pile out of all the nooks and crannies from the Landings to the mouth of the Indian River at Mullett Lake. I couldn't believe how many of those critters were hiding there. It looked like some kind of alien space-warp invasion.

There's probably some catfish around there too. And of course the occasional giant sturgeon or musky working up through the river. I had two sturgeon try to mate with my boat one time just outside the river on the sand flats.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the moon river bay (georgan bay) near MacTier Ontario
"about 365 miles from Detroit"
has been very good to me over the years , lots of smallmouth, largemouth , pike, Big muskies & walleyes, check out
www.sunset.ca
its a nice place, with good rates, and the fishing can be great if you time it right. I have been there about 12 times in the last 15 years.
the best fishing for me has always been in the 3rd week of june.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I take my family to Higgins Lake every year. We stay at an AmVets Lodge on the water. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, self contained for 700.00 a week. the place isn't fancy, but it's a nice place to stay. Perch, pike, bass, and if you have the equipment to go deep enough, lake trout. Several row boats are available to the guests, but they don't have any motors on them. There is a Marina about 10 minutes away from the lodge that rents fishing boats, pontoons, ski boats and row boats.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fletchers pond/floodwaters in Hillman/Alpena is a great place to spend a week fishing for all of those species. It is an awesome fishery. I have been going there for the last 17 years with a few missed years here and there. It is an impoundment of the Thunder Bay River. It's full of stumps throughout the lake, which keeps all of the recreation boating away from this lake (literally all of it, not a jet ski or speed boat all week). I don't know of any other 9,000-acre lake in Michigan that can say that. The lake is shallow throughout with the exception of the river channel, which is still only around ten foot deep in most of the lake. There are several places to stay on the lake that have cabins and rental boats. Here is a link to check out.

http://www.fletcherpond.com/listings/

Jacks landing has a pretty big bass tournament every year in late June too. You can check out the past results on their web page. This lake has lots of big bass. I caught two over 5lbs one day last year, which is quite a scary fight in that lake. Controlling the fish and thinking quick is a must in most areas of the lake. Oh yea, be prepared to see those pesky bald eagles too. If you decide to give it a try, email me and I will gladly give you some fishing advice and areas to try. For those bullheads just throw on a few worms and cast out while your sitting by the fire at night. Here is a link to an espn article on the pike fishing.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/s/f_ma...chers_Pond.html

P.S. fishweb.com has a map and a little info about the lake.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, found a great spot on burt lake, nice lodging, 499 a week.
boat rentals around the area have been about 325 for a week for a 14' aluminum with motor.
so all in all is should be pretty affordable.
thanks for all the help, and after i get back(june 7) i will give you all a report.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My family has been going to South Manistique Lake at Curtis in the upper penninsula. This year will be the 7th year. We love it. Fishing for me, tubing for the kids and shopping for Mom. Everybody`s happy. LOL. We stay at The North Shore resort which is right in town. Campfires every night, and everything is within walking distance. Ice cream shops, pizza parlor, stores for shopping or browsing, 2 good baitshops, several restaurants, rental shops. a couple of taverns and lots of sites worth going to within an hours drive or less. Fishing can be hot or cold. Ive experianced both. Go to www.curtismi.com for some good info on resorts to stay at. Most seem to come with a boat included, but not a motor. They fill quickly with alot of repeat customers. Good luck and enjoy your vaca.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Even though you've picked a destination, and Burt Lake is a great place to camp and fish, I have two lakes in very different areas of the state that fit the bill. The first is Muskegon Lake. A variety of cabins and campsites available, easy access to Lake michigan and the Muskegon River, and a great fishery including Master Angler channel cats. While trolling for walleye there a few years ago, my wife and I limited out in under 3 hours and picked up 4 nice cats as well, the largest being a 13lb master angler for my better half.
The second lake is Indian Lake in the U.P. near Manistique. Again, lots of cabins and campsites (We rented a cabin from Gastmeirs (sp) in both 1993 and '94). Close to the Town of Manistique, the north shore of Lake Michigan and about a half hour drive to the Bays De Noc.
On top of all that, a great fishery too. Pike, Walleye, musky, perch, panfish, a few cats, and the very rare black bullhead. In '93 my wife caught the 3rd largest black bullhead in the state from Indian Lake (I think it was 14" and 1-1/4lb). She is now known as the Catfish Queen to our friends and family.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(Basschaser @ Mar 15 2004, 09:01 PM)The Landings on Indian River is an excellent place to stay that I've been too. (in between burt/mullet lakes right on the riverfront) (cabins-small to large, campfire pit, boat slip, general store, next to town, cable TV, furnished kitchen, shower etc...) They have smallmouth, pike, walleye. Reasonable rates and excellent accomidations. Not 100% sure about a boat rental though, but I think you can rent one there or close.

http://www.mich-web.com/landings/
I've stayed there too, and it's a nice spot. The cabins are clean and have all the kithcen gear. You need to bring towels and linens. Also, you get your own dock, and a stocked fire pit is across the road, close to the water. Even has a screened in fish cleaning shed w/running water. Deep water too all the way to either Lake.

Oh, and they'll rent you a boat, and have fishing gear you can buy too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts