Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The northern pike is a member of the Esocidae or pike family which also includes the chain pickerel, redfin pickerel, and muskellunge. The northern pike is an elongated fish capable of growing more than three feet long and weighing greater than twenty pounds. Northern pike can be distinguished from other members of the pike family by having a dorsal region that is blueish-green to gray in color, and their sides having irregular rows of yellow or gold bean-shaped spots. They also have fully scaled cheeks and five sensory pores on each side of the ventral surface of the lower jaw. The mouth is duck-bill shaped and is lined with many sharp canine teeth.

The range of the northern pike is extensive, having a range greater than any other freshwater gamefish. Pike can be found throughout the northern half of North America. Pike prefer clear, shallow, vegetated areas of lakes and larger rivers. Pike are rarely found in areas lacking stumps, aquatic vegetation, or other cover.

Spawning takes place soon after ice-out when temperatures reach 35 F in shallow waters. The female broadcasts the eggs over aquatic vegetation while two or more males fertilize them. A large female northern pike can produce 250,000 to 500,000 eggs. The adhesive eggs stick to the vegetation and hatch within six to 29 days depending on water temperature. The young pike typically attain a length of six inches by their first fall. Sexual maturity is typically reached in three years. Pike have been documented to live 24 years.

Northern's are primarily fish eaters preying on species such as golden shiners, yellow perch, bluegills, and suckers. Young pike feed on zooplankton and aquatic invertebrates, but soon switch to a fish diet. Large pike have been known to feed on ducklings, small waterfowl, and small muskrats.

The northern is a highly prized gamefish. It is a fantastic fish to catch just based on its sheer size, strength, and fighting ability. The meat of the northern pike is white, great flavor, and has a flaky texture, however it is quite boney. Pike are captured using large spoons or minnow-type lures fished along the edges of weedbeds. Another popular method is using a large live golden shiner or sucker fished beneath a large bobber just after ice-out in shallow coves. Pike like cabbage weeds. Pike can be caught on many lures and live bait.

h2o<----says were there's perch there's pike

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
North American record Pike from N.Y. 46 plus pounds. World record is much higher. At this latitude they are located all the way around the world. My personal best is only 28 pounds but have lost bigger. You are really helping me do my new book H2o. Its only about Muskie but i can put this type of info into it. Thank you. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
You better make sure all your facts are straight when you do the "Muskie Life History". I think there is a guy on this board that may know a thing or two about them

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sharpening my pencil Alex!! I agree can't mess up there. Oh my pressure is on. lol

h2o<----studying the muskie

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Here is a tip H2o. Muskie are much older than Pike. Not only do they live longer they are much earlier in the life cycle by thousands of years. Please don't make a mistake here because Alex is right Gregg M will be all over you.
BOB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts