Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I love animals and the wilderness, but don't understand why people feel compelled to be "one" with them. I'll leave the up close filming to National Geographic.

Check out the link below, this jacknut would go into the Alaskan wilderness and get close to grizzleys to prove they're not killers.

The link has video of him up close with the grizzlys, and if you scroll down, you can read the story. Ironically enough, (and maybe even typical of animal activists), his pursuit of activism is a contradiction - because the bear that mauled him and his girlfriend to death was shot and killed, as well as another bear that was stalking the investigating rangers.

www.msnbc.com/news/977560.asp

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Next thing you know, we are going to hear that Dookie was mauled by her ferrets.

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Oct 9 2003, 06:07 AM)Next thing you know, we are going to hear that Dookie was mauled by her ferrets.

ya gotta watch them, those things go for the jugular - like in kindergarten cop, hahahah.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(littlewing @ Oct 9 2003, 06:21 AM)QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Oct 9 2003, 06:07 AM) Next thing you know, we are going to hear that Dookie was mauled by her ferrets.

ya gotta watch them, those things go for the jugular - like in kindergarten cop, hahahah.
HAAAAAAAY <_<
<_<

Actually, your a little close, those stinkers have been attacking me and Homebrew. The most they've made me do is dance after a sneak attack on my ankles. Homebrew's too, I think he looks so much funnier than I do dancing around saying "mine, MINE" (their command for "no")

I think he gets a little upset with me cuz I cant stop laughing at how funny he looks yelling MINE at a two pound ferret that's dancing circles around him.

For real though, they're just playing most of the time. If a ferret REALLY wanted to hurt someone they could. They haven't killed a cat yet and I dont anticipate it

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Oct 9 2003, 08:32 AM)For real though, they're just playing most of the time. If a ferret REALLY wanted to hurt someone they could. They haven't killed a cat yet and I dont anticipate it
Look at the scar on my nose next time you see me.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Oct 9 2003, 07:35 AM)QUOTE(Dookie @ Oct 9 2003, 08:32 AM) For real though, they're just playing most of the time. If a ferret REALLY wanted to hurt someone they could. They haven't killed a cat yet and I dont anticipate it
Look at the scar on my nose next time you see me.

What the hell did you stick it in its face for. I never put my face near a dogs mouth unless I know FOR SURE it wont want to bite me.
Most ferrets will not bite if they are trained properly. I have one that wont bite me but has had a piece of Firecracker, Homebrew and another friend. Her situation was different, she is a rescue that was HORRIBLY abused and has come a long way.
At the shelter I worked with, I'd say about 8% were biters and it was usually for a reason. Abuse or neglect or lack of training. I think that stat is pretty common for many animals. There is a difference between a play bite and a "real" bite. Ferrets have tough skin and have to be taught that we dont.
OK enough of my ferret education for now

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
If you ask me it was just a matter of time. I mean come on brown bears not agresive what planet was he from. Then to endanger your girlfriend like that. He should have had a gun to use as a last resort. These are wild animals and they will do what wild animals do. BTW the polar bear is the only known wild animal to regularly stalk and hunt humans.

·
Registered
670 Posts
BTW the polar bear is the only known wild animal to regularly stalk and hunt humans.

Don't forget the "goldigger," whose habitat is Birmingham nightclubs
Ok Traveler, you're on

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
QUOTE(homebrew @ Oct 9 2003, 10:37 AM)Don't forget the "goldigger," whose habitat is Birmingham nightclubs
Ok Traveler, you're on

too funny Homebrew yes of course goldus diggerus a close relitive of biggus dickus

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(fatcat660 @ Oct 9 2003, 11:42 AM)a close relitive of biggus dickus
This guy?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Oct 9 2003, 10:27 AM)Watch out Snowpuff! She wants your nose!!!

Sorry for being off the subject

My girl friend and her husband used to raise ferrets, minks, skunks and what ever else they had a notion for...It was like green acres everytime I went there. I actually liked her skunks...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
On South Bass Island, home of Put-In-Bay, there's a great place called the Alaskan Wildlife Museum. The husband and wife who run it live next door - the husband grew up in Put-In-Bay and returned there after he and the missus retired after 30+ years teaching school in Alaska. They never had children and devoted themselves to the students and to learning all they could about the environment and wildlife of their adopted state. Over the years they collected and now display hundreds of mounted birds, fish, and furry critters. If you haven't been there, take a break from bar-hopping and check it out.

As they give you a tour of their building they tell stories about the various animals. The bears got special attention with our group and the lady went into detail explaining what to do and expect when confronted with a bear in Alaska. According to her (and she sure sounded like she knew what the hell she was talking about), you won't outrun a bear of any kind and running tells them you are prey - walk peacefully away if you can. If confronted by a bear that doesn't seem to want to let you just walk away, you may be able to discourage a black bear or common brown bear by facing it, standing tall and raising your arms and shirt or jacket above your head to make you look bigger and challenging. But you never want to do that with a grizzly - they welcome the challenge and just attack more viciously!

She explained that your best bet with a grizzly (if you can't get away from it) is to drop to the ground and play dead - and get ready to be mauled. She said there's no way around it, you will be battered and may be badly slashed, but you must play dead to convince the grizzly to leave you alone. Once it thinks you are neutralized, it should leave, but it may sit nearby and watch you. Wait until it leaves, even if you are bleeding. Once you are sure it has moved on, get to help.

She was very adament about all this and said anyone who lives in Alaska and loves the outdoors as she and her husband do is told this by the authorities they meet. This makes me believe this fellow was a tragedy waiting to happen with his pushing of the human / bruin envelope.

I credit him with nerve if not common sense. I was in the Bruce pennisula near Georgian Bay 20 years ago and got out of my suburban to take a leak in the middle of the night. I walked to the nearest bush by the light of the moon and commenced to relieve myself. I was just zipping up when I heard a loud sniff-snort-sniff not more than three feet on the other side of the bush that immediately sounded like a black bear to me. You better believe I was back in that truck posthaste! And I kept a can in there every night that followed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(homebrew @ Oct 9 2003, 10:37 AM)BTW the polar bear is the only known wild animal to regularly stalk and hunt humans.

Don't forget the "goldigger," whose habitat is Birmingham nightclubs
Ok Traveler, you're on

apparently, browns and grizzlys do also. the article read, they had to kill a second bear because it was stalking them.

reminds me of that movie "the edge" with anthony hopkins and alec baldwin.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ Oct 9 2003, 03:01 PM)On South Bass Island, home of Put-In-Bay, there's a great place called the Alaskan Wildlife Museum. The husband and wife who run it live next door - the husband grew up in Put-In-Bay and returned there after he and the missus retired after 30+ years teaching school in Alaska. They never had children and devoted themselves to the students and to learning all they could about the environment and wildlife of their adopted state. Over the years they collected and now display hundreds of mounted birds, fish, and furry critters. If you haven't been there, take a break from bar-hopping and check it out.
Liked your post, this looks like a place id love to check out someday. I dont see myself being attacked by a bear anytime soon, but it's good info to know.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Oct 9 2003, 11:12 AM)QUOTE(Dookie @ Oct 9 2003, 10:27 AM) Watch out Snowpuff! She wants your nose!!!

Sorry for being off the subject

My girl friend and her husband used to raise ferrets, minks, skunks and what ever else they had a notion for...It was like green acres everytime I went there. I actually liked her skunks...

Darnet!!!! I'm sitting here at school with "Greeeeeeen Acres is the place to beeeee" just stuck in my head

1 - 18 of 18 Posts