Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this one today jigging a redhorse Bondy in 16 ft in the Fleming Channel (US side) behind Peche. Sitting right behind a hump, as was another fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Sweet fish.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
I must be doing something wrong with the Bondy baits, maybe I'm working them to fast or not lifting high enough. I know they are great jigging baits and if you have any tips I'm all ears. Next time out I'm tying one on and sticking with it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
No matter what big bait you use for these, you have to stick with it. One day of jigging won't convince you that some of the biggest ones roam the deep channels, but spend several days doing it and you will be convinced. When I jig, I try to do a quick upward motion and let it fall on a slow drop, staying in contact with the bait on the way down. Never let it free fall. Letting it fall slowly not only helps you feel the bite, but the arch is longer on the fall which gives the fish a better chance to get it. They are not going to pick it off the bottom, so you need to hop it as frequently as possible. A long arch allows the bait to swim for about 3-4 ft along the bottom as you drift which helps you cover tons of water. Just keep working at it, and your confidence will build. With 2 or 3 anglers in the boat I ususally average about 3-4 boated fish a day doing it, which rod for rod is comparable to trolling.
PS....whippy rods really absorb the hookset, so get a proper rod. Alot of people think they are burying the barb on the hookset, but in reality they are just getting the point started. You need to fight that fish awhile, and keep alot of pressure on them to help dig that barb in there. Most people lose their fish right after they have set the hook and then have a tough time putting immediate pressure on the fish.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today 49 in US waters, 47.5 in Ontario waters. Ontario side is super clear, but that may change witht the coming small craft warning.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Nov 4 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No matter what big bait you use for these, you have to stick with it. One day of jigging won't convince you that some of the biggest ones roam the deep channels, but spend several days doing it and you will be convinced. When I jig, I try to do a quick upward motion and let it fall on a slow drop, staying in contact with the bait on the way down. Never let it free fall. Letting it fall slowly not only helps you feel the bite, but the arch is longer on the fall which gives the fish a better chance to get it. They are not going to pick it off the bottom, so you need to hop it as frequently as possible. A long arch allows the bait to swim for about 3-4 ft along the bottom as you drift which helps you cover tons of water. Just keep working at it, and your confidence will build. With 2 or 3 anglers in the boat I ususally average about 3-4 boated fish a day doing it, which rod for rod is comparable to trolling.
PS....whippy rods really absorb the hookset, so get a proper rod. Alot of people think they are burying the barb on the hookset, but in reality they are just getting the point started. You need to fight that fish awhile, and keep alot of pressure on them to help dig that barb in there. Most people lose their fish right after they have set the hook and then have a tough time putting immediate pressure on the fish.

The rod may be why I lost the 2 giants I had hooked before and missed the 3 others that hit tuesday. I have a 7ft rod that has more backbone and may be better so I'll give that a shot the next time out. Thanks for sharing the info and I am going to get me a slob before season end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts