Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From CNN
"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future,".............The announcement came as a surprise -- Obama's name had not been mentioned among front-runners -- and the roomful of reporters in Oslo, Norway, gasped when he was named.

from the BBC and statement from & interview of Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland -
" "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said in a statement.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms."

Never did I think that a noble peace prize would be awarded on intentions rather than actions.

Wow...........

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Oct 9 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>does this belong here?

Sure why not, I was under the impression that the fishing hole was where we could go for open discussions on topics we did not want cluttering up the reports and tips forum.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I always thought there was a political forum on this site for a reason. Politics is a touchy subject that can really fire people up and political threads can get nasty REAL quick. I'd hate to see that happen in here. There's enough fighting and bickering as it is. If you want to discuss sports, music, something along those lines that's fine, but politics is in a whole different league. I guess that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Oct 9 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I always thought there was a political forum on this site for a reason. Politics is a touchy subject that can really fire people up and political threads can get nasty REAL quick. I'd hate to see that happen in here. There's enough fighting and bickering as it is. If you want to discuss sports, music, something along those lines that's fine, but politics is in a whole different league. I guess that's just my opinion.

You and I have to rremind ourselves that some people dont venture very far from the fishing section of this site.....

once again the majority has to change for the minority. Ok I will stop....

Oh one more thing....this quote bothers me:

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

but shouldnt he share the same values and attitudes of the very country that he is "supposed" to be running?

Now I am done. Too political to type about.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
40,000 nut bags knocking down old lady's and beating each other up for 3500 applications to get a piece of "Obama's stache" as one nut bag put it on the 6 oclock news, at Cobo sure doesn't sound piecefull.

his middle name is hu-sane...

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
This the fishing hole not the boat house. nuff said. I am not moving it. If we get too many political threads in here, they will move, this is only one.

------>OBAMMMMMA peace prize=Bull sh*t

I have no respect for that prize anymore, it has lost all merit in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
No matter your political voting preferences, I don't think you can disagree that the man is trying something in his efforts to stimulate the economy. Now, as far as the Nobel Peace Prize, I guess I thought that was an award for dedication over many years to bring peace and harmony on a global scale. I must have missed the bus the day that his efforts within that realm were made public.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Oct 9 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not surprised those reporters gasped, it a common bodily funtion just before vomiting.

YA THAT!!

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize for being the best at reading a speech that someone else wrote, from a teleprompter. He wins the prize for "Wishful Thinking" & not actually doing anything. Will he donate the prize money to charity or take the wife on another taxpayer paid for date?

The London Times had some nice comments:

The Nobel Peace Prize is a notoriously difficult award to predict, but yesterday's decision was clearly a political choice, with three of the past six peace awards going to Bush adversaries.

In 2002 the prize went to Jimmy Carter as an explicit rejection of the Bush presidency in the build-up to the Iraq war. In 2005 Mohamed ElBaradei, the UN atomic agency chief who had clashed with Washington over the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, was honoured. In 2007 Al Gore received the prize for his warnings on climate change, denounced by President Bush as a liberal myth.

But Bobby Muller, who won the Nobel Prize as co-founder of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, told The Times: "I don't have the highest regard for the thinking or process of the Nobel committee. Maybe Norway should give it to Sweden so they can more properly handle the Peace Prize along with all the other Nobel prizes."

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Regardless of your opinions, what a honor for our commander in chief to get the NP.

h2o

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
not meaningless, look how much we all appreciate it, even lscn is talking about it. lol

i love politics, no matter how horrible the last guy was, its all this guys fault. lol it'll never end.

who were the other nominees? anyone know?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts