Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an oil leak... valve cover. The old original cork (I think) gaskets are seeping, one head, of late, worse. Can I get a few opinions here as to whether to replace with original OEM gaskets or to use the permatex stuff??

And... are there any special tricks to doing these valve cover gaskets, using either method? Gotta' admit I've never done one before, but it looks pretty straightforward.

1973 Chrysler 318's.. since I'm doing at least one cover, figure I'll do all 4.
Opinions please....................

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Go with the original gaskets. Some silcone gasket sealers don't seal well with oil.
Cork is good, but if you can get rubber ones, I like them better. Once they are seated and the engine has been run to full warm temps they seem to get a better seal. Be sure to make sure the mating surface on the head is clean before installing either type.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I vote gasket too.

Get all the surfaces completely clean with some kid of solvent.

Don't over tighten the bolts, as that is real easy to do in some cases.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yep get the updated gaskets. If you go with the cork again, you have to use a sealer with them. The updated ones don't have this requirement, they seal much better. Cork is yesteryear tech....

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Go for it Ken, it's an easy job. I've been doing valve cover gaskets on and off since I was 14 and Mom was running solid lifters in the Mustang.
Give a holler if you need help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts